Joseph C

Messed up on getting the Affidavit

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I landed in the Philippines Monday night, and Tuesday morning I went to the embassy with my fiance to obtain the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage only to find out that you MUST make an appointment beforehand, and that it must be done online. We went back to the car and checked, the earliest date is the morning of Jan 19 so I took that for now.

I'm scheduled to leave in the morning time on Jan 29. Is there any real chance of getting around the waiting period by applying for the marriage license while still waiting to obtain the affidavit? When we got the bad news the first thing I thought of was to just do a ceremony here and then to do a Fiance visa, but I'd rather try to find a way to get this done.

When we got the bad news the first thing I thought of was to just do a ceremony here and then to do a Fiance visa, but I'd rather try to find a way to get this done.

fiance/e (K1) visa means your're getting married in the US not in the philippines..

if you're gettin married in the philippines then it's K3 or IR1 which are spousal visas..

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

fiance/e (K1) visa means your're getting married in the US not in the philippines..

if you're gettin married in the philippines then it's K3 or IR1 which are spousal visas..

I understand that. I messed up getting an affidavit in lieu of capacity to marry. I did not know that the appointment was to be made online. Resources showed that you just show up and wait in line to get this at the US embassy in Manila. Unfortunately I did not check the official web site. As of August of 2010 the embassy requires you to make an online appointment to obtain this affidavit.

I arrived on Jan 11 and went to the embassy on that day, but was turned away and pointed to the web site. Jan 19 is the earliest day I could book an appointment for. I am scheduled to leave Jan 29. We were planning to get married on Jan 24. I'd like to avoid doing the fiancee visa and actually get married here as planned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

So I landed in the Philippines Monday night, and Tuesday morning I went to the embassy with my fiance to obtain the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage only to find out that you MUST make an appointment beforehand, and that it must be done online. We went back to the car and checked, the earliest date is the morning of Jan 19 so I took that for now.

I'm scheduled to leave in the morning time on Jan 29. Is there any real chance of getting around the waiting period by applying for the marriage license while still waiting to obtain the affidavit? When we got the bad news the first thing I thought of was to just do a ceremony here and then to do a Fiance visa, but I'd rather try to find a way to get this done.

ditto,

you can't marry her there if you are filing for fiance, K1.

that's to marry in the US.

if you marry she could go through consular processing or the K3 as spouse of a USC.

but you can't marry her and then apply for a fiance visa.

ditto,

you can't marry her there if you are filing for fiance, K1.

that's to marry in the US.

if you marry she could go through consular processing or the K3 as spouse of a USC.

but you can't marry her and then apply for a fiance visa.

Right. I'd rather NOT apply for a fiance visa. I'm trying to avoid this. Is there any way for me to avoid having to do a fiancee visa considering the situation that I'm currently in?

Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the application to the issuance of the marriage license. So if u get ur Legal capacity of Marriage on january 19th and u can apply marriage license at the city hall the same day u can then marry on the 29th. If ur flight is going to be in the afternoon or night of 29th ur problem is solved. If u can, rebook ur flight back to US on the next day or 29th night..

11/15/2010............NVC received AOS package

11/16/2010............NVC received DS-230 package

11/25/2010 ........... early medical day 1

11/26/2010 ........... medical day 2 (passed)

11/29/2010............AOS entered at NVC's system, requesting for biographic info

11/30/2010............DS230 entered at NVC's system

12/8/2010 ........... SIF

12/9/2010 ........... Case Complete

12/13/2010 .......... Interview date assigned- January 7, 2011

01/07/ 2011 ..........Visa Approved

Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the application to the issuance of the marriage license. So if u get ur Legal capacity of Marriage on january 19th and u can apply marriage license at the city hall the same day u can then marry on the 29th. If ur flight is going to be in the afternoon or night of 29th ur problem is solved. If u can, rebook ur flight back to US on the next day or 29th night..

I was afraid that was the best answer I'd get. Maraming salamat

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Depending on if her family has any connections, you may be able to have your ceremony before the official wedding date.

In our case, I landed in Manila on the 16th too late to get to the USEM and Monday the 19th was MLK Day so I was at the USEM on Jan 20 and we were back in the province that afternoon in time to get the Application for Marriage License filed. We had our ceremony on Jan 21 with the Mayor officiating! This allowed us to go away for our honeymoon (1 week diving in Subic Bay) while we waiting for the official paperwork.

Everything is dated for Jan 30th (10 days from the application).

We were able to do this because her uncle is long time friends with the Mayor...

Depending on if her family has any connections, you may be able to have your ceremony before the official wedding date.

We were able to do this because her uncle is long time friends with the Mayor...

Joseph C...Pay attention to Bob! :thumbs:

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check into having the paperwork post dated, or having the ceremony early while waiting on the paperwork

We've been planning to do this with a pastor. I'll check to see what he says we can do in the morning. I'm planning to call the embassy to see if there's anything they can do. I'll make sure to note thislink. If you google for infomration you get that page where they make no mention of having to apply online. The page that says you must apply online shows up when you go to the embassy's web site and use their search box. They probably won't be able to help us, but it's worth a shot. Sort of a bummer that they leave outdated info on there, but this is the US government I'm dealing with and I really should have called to confirm everything.

As much as I don't want to suggest about shredding more money just to get things done, this time I might have to. Due to the circumstances embarking that might cause some delays for you guys to get married, You can skip that 10 days window to get a marriage license. But I don't think you'd be able to get married w/o the paperwork from the embassy. How?

They will require you to attend this (I'd say waste of time) family planning seminar, and counseling before they can release your marriage license. In our case, (this is how money works and talks) my husband and I paid this "package" that the judge's secretary offered us that will consolidate everything including that seminar for 10K. Then.. Viola, got the license 2 days after!

So I would suggest, after you get the Legal Capacity to Lieu marriage, hop in to the fastest car that can bring you to the city hall of which you want to marry your gal. Bring all the documents both of you needs to turn in and ask around to see if you can slack on the Legal Capacity and turn it in at later date plus if you can get away with the 10 days waiting period. There has to be some kinda way when you tell them, "HOW MUCH".

Congratulations in advance and best wishes!

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check into having the paperwork post dated, or having the ceremony early while waiting on the paperwork

We've been planning to do this with a pastor. I'll check to see what he says we can do in the morning. I'm planning to call the embassy to see if there's anything they can do. I'll make sure to note thislink. If you google for infomration you get that page where they make no mention of having to apply online. The page that says you must apply online shows up when you go to the embassy's web site and use their search box. They probably won't be able to help us, but it's worth a shot. Sort of a bummer that they leave outdated info on there, but this is the US government I'm dealing with and I really should have called to confirm everything.

Why don't you ask the US Citizens services at the Embassy guy to listen to your story and make a phone call across the hall for you? He/she might say the only thing they can help you with is visiting you in jail and shipping your body back if you die over there, but its worth a try.

^^^ Joseph...Pay attention to Catherine...her advice is sugarless. :thumbs:

Shhhh.. No calling of names. lol

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.