one...two...tree

Poverty supresses children's genetic potential, study says

112 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Explain why we're debating how they're going to eat on $3.57/day. Next you'll be telling us they should get more money.

Why are we paying $33,600 to jail 1 inmate per year but barely paying $1300 a year to a person on welfare?

$92 a day for the inmate and then $3.57/day for the non-inmate?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please explain how you eat well from $3.57 a day ($25 a week / $100 a month)....

Can you describe what you ate today for lunch/dinner and how much each item cost?

Bowl of Ceral for Breakfast w/2% milk. $0.70

Lunch:

Sandwich: $0.50

Yogurt: $0.50

Apple: $0.50

Chicken Noodle Soup/Crackers: $1.60

Total: $3.80

$0.23 short on that budget!

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Why are we paying $33,600 to jail 1 inmate per year but barely paying $1300 a year to a person on welfare?

You're right. We shouldn't pay for that either!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:idea: feed the inmates to the poor!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Please explain how you eat well from $3.57 a day ($25 a week / $100 a month)....

Can you describe what you ate today for lunch/dinner and how much each item cost?

Typical day might consist of bowl of cereal, for lunch a sandwich or something off the value menu and to round out the day I might have chicken N rice for dinner.

I can buy a pak of Chicken leg quarters on sale and get 3 dinners out of it.

While I do buy generic brand stuff, I never use coupons.

WE must also keep in mind when we say "food bill" we are only talking about items food stamps will buy.

If you take off your shopping list:

Toilet paper,

paper towels

pet food

shampoo

soap

dishwasher soap

aluminum foil

laundry detergent

Beer/wine

prepared foods

Cleaning products

off your bill, it drops quite a bit, food stamps do not cover those items so a $400 grocery budget for them buys a lot more groceries as it is all food.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Typical day might consist of bowl of cereal, for lunch a sandwich or something off the value menu and to round out the day I might have chicken N rice for dinner.

I can buy a pak of Chicken leg quarters on sale and get 3 dinners out of it.

While I do buy generic brand stuff, I never use coupons.

You must be very thin? 6 foot, 150 pounds?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

You must be very thin? 6 foot, 150 pounds?

My biggest food expense is fruit, my wife loves fruit.

Usually we buy it at Aldis where it is a little cheaper.

William Penn

Timeline

The problem is that most people in this country think soup comes from a can! When I was in Russia my fiancee made the best soup and didn't use a can opener, not even sure she owns one. And for those who say that produce is high priced, it is possible in other countries to buy from farmer's markets much cheaper, though not as 'pretty, produce. She had large sacks of small, imperfect apples that were still just as nutritious as the $3.00 a pound Honey Crisps I buy here.

Timeline

The problem is that most people in this country think soup comes from a can! When I was in Russia my fiancee made the best soup and didn't use a can opener, not even sure she owns one. And for those who say that produce is high priced, it is possible in other countries to buy from farmer's markets much cheaper, though not as 'pretty, produce. She had large sacks of small, imperfect apples that were still just as nutritious as the $3.00 a pound Honey Crisps I buy here.

And they will eat them down to the smallest core.

:lol:

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

Researchers at the University of Texas claim that poverty may affect how children achieve their genetic potential. Using 750 sets of twins as subjects, the team of psychologists led by assistant professor Elliot Tucker-Drob found that 50 percent of the progress wealthier children show on mental ability tests can be attributed to genetics. Children from poor families, however, showed almost no progress attributable to genetics.

Don't get too carried away with the conclusions this might suggest. Based on this study, rich kids are not genetically superior to children of poverty. They're simply provided with more opportunities to fulfill their potential.

Of course, this conclusion holds some interesting implications for the field of childhood development. From the University of Texas announcement about the findings:

These findings go to the heart of the age-old debate about whether "nature" or "nurture" is more important to a child's development. They suggest the two work together and that the right environment can help children begin to reach their genetic potentials at a much earlier age than previously thought.

As the nation pulls out of the greatest economic disaster since the Great Depression, such a breakthrough could serve to shift attention toward taking better care of America's youth.

One out of every five children in the U.S. lives in poverty. That's a lot of lost potential.

http://www.salon.com/news/psychology/index.html?story=%2Fnews%2Ffeature%2F2011%2F01%2F10%2Fchild_health_poverty_genetics

Who goes to Salon for anything serious? That is like going to the National Enquirer for stock picks.