casiperuano

k1 visa translations

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello all,

I'm just beginning my journey with my fiancee. She is from Latin America and we want to get the k1 visa. I have been going through the requirements and I see that we each need to submit a letter of mutual intent to get married. She doesn't speak that much English so I will need a signed translation. I am fully fluent in Spanish, did translations at the school I was working for when I lived down there would I be able to do this translation or do I need to solicit a professional?

better to have any translated documents notarized so you will not get an RFE

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is misinformation... translated documents DO NOT need to be notarized.... translated documents need to include a "certifying statement" from the translator that he or she is competent in both languages.... if that is you, then you can do it yourself

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Posted Today, 08:28 AM

View Postmessybrownhair, on 08 January 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

This is misinformation... translated documents DO NOT need to be notarized.... translated documents need to include a "certifying statement" from the translator that he or she is competent in both languages.... if that is you, then you can do it yourself

I've seen the certifying statements and I feel comfortable signing that myself. I guess I just want to be as safe as possible.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

If I do get it translated do they have to have some specific certification?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Posted Today, 08:28 AM

View Postmessybrownhair, on 08 January 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

I've seen the certifying statements and I feel comfortable signing that myself. I guess I just want to be as safe as possible.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

If I do get it translated do they have to have some specific certification?

Yes, use the certifying statements you've seen as long as they match the USCIS instructions for the I-129F. My suggestion in your circumstance is to do the work of translating yourself and then have a similarly qualified friend certify your work. You can do it yourself but I think my suggestion is an improvement.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes, use the certifying statements you've seen as long as they match the USCIS instructions for the I-129F. My suggestion in your circumstance is to do the work of translating yourself and then have a similarly qualified friend certify your work. You can do it yourself but I think my suggestion is an improvement.

Except the USCIS won't know the friend from Adam, so I don't really know how it is an improvement... competent in both languages with a certification as such is all the USCIS requires....

YMMV

Timeline

Except the USCIS won't know the friend from Adam, so I don't really know how it is an improvement... competent in both languages with a certification as such is all the USCIS requires....

Since they don't know the friend from Adam, they won't have any reason to think the friend has any potential conflict of interest. That's where I see the improvement and why I make the recommendation. Clearly, the petitioner doing it themselves is acceptable.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Since they don't know the friend from Adam, they won't have any reason to think the friend has any potential conflict of interest. That's where I see the improvement and why I make the recommendation. Clearly, the petitioner doing it themselves is acceptable.

If it was an improvement and somehow make a case more magically acceptable/approvable to the USCIS they would indicate so.... Since it does not help the case in any form, it is totally unnecessary.... The translation is either acceptable or not... by your own words, a translation done by the petitioner is acceptable if they are qualified to sign the "statement"... did not know there were different levels of acceptability...

YMMV

Timeline

If it was an improvement and somehow make a case more magically acceptable/approvable to the USCIS they would indicate so.... Since it does not help the case in any form, it is totally unnecessary.... The translation is either acceptable or not... by your own words, a translation done by the petitioner is acceptable if they are qualified to sign the "statement"... did not know there were different levels of acceptability...

There aren't. We simply disagree on whether it has any potential to help the case. As you know well, there's more to the "case" than the USCIS approval of the petition. Sometimes I recommend a belt and suspenders approach and sometimes I don't. Emphasis on "recommendation". Opinions obviously vary. You're welcome to yours as are the readers. Goes both ways.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

There aren't. We simply disagree on whether it has any potential to help the case. As you know well, there's more to the "case" than the USCIS approval of the petition. Sometimes I recommend a belt and suspenders approach and sometimes I don't. Emphasis on "recommendation". Opinions obviously vary. You're welcome to yours as are the readers. Goes both ways.

and what does "more to the "case" than the USCIS approval of the petition" mean in relationship to document translations... absolutely nothing

For someone who who continually chastises people to read carefully and interpret literally .......

YMMV

Timeline

and what does "more to the "case" than the USCIS approval of the petition" mean in relationship to document translations... absolutely nothing

For someone who who continually chastises people to read carefully and interpret literally .......

Perhaps I have more experience with the actions of Consular officers. They often tend to re-adjudicate issues USCIS has already decided upon.

Really though, this is a recommendation. Unless you are recommending against it for some reason, why not just let it be?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Perhaps I have more experience with the actions of Consular officers. They often tend to re-adjudicate issues USCIS has already decided upon.

Really though, this is a recommendation. Unless you are recommending against it for some reason, why not just let it be?

They "often tend to re-adjudicate issues USCIS has already decided upon"? Please... cite some specific examples where translation has been re-adjudicated.

Really though... you of all people have made a VJ living chastising people who recommend doing something unnecessary because they foolishly believe that it somehow makes the case more approvable or even more importantly, for having an opinion different from your own...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.