coppermouse

Tourist visa for girlfriend

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have met a very nice woman from Poland. We want to marry in the future. We are thinking for her to come here on tourist visa to see where I live etc.. Is it likely to be granted? She has job with contract, family ties and a flat etc...

Should she tell embassy she wants to come visit me and see what it is like here? Will they issue multiple entry visa and for how long (she will stay only three weeks on first visit).

Can we marry during this visit, if she intends to go home and take care of business (sell flat, complete job)? Is this a bad way to go about it in eyes of us government?

Then what would be next step for path to come here to live. I assume if they grant multiple entry she could come here. Otherwise what would we do, and how long wait? Can I apply immediately or must I wait for her to leave country

How long would it take to get spouse visa green card etc..

This is all new to me s forgive my ignorance. Thanks in advance.

Would Fiancee visa be better way?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Two answer your questions.

1) Can always apply for a tourist visa, but keep in mind, immigrant intent is always assumed and need to provide evidence that will not violate the terms of the visa and return home after the visit.

2) There is nothing stopping a marriage while visiting, the marriage while visiting is not the problem, it is using a visit visa with INTENT to immigrate that is. It is perfectly OK to marry while visiting then file an I-130 for a spouse visa, do not over stay the visit, and return home and waiti for the visa interview.

3) Spouse visas tend to take in the 9 - 12 month range for most places, green-card is issued once enter the USA on a spouse (CR-1) visa.

4) If you have not yet met in person either in USA or over in foreign country, you cannot file for a K-1 fiancee visa. As for better? It will cost nearly $1000 more in FEES. It may shave a month or so off processing. CR-1 Spouse has the benefit of an instant green-card, K-1 does not, and has to apply to adjust status and perhaps wait 4-5 months to get a green-card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

We have spent much time together in Poland. We want to be together soon. Of course I understand not to overstay visa and she will return home after the 3 week visit. She must return and complete the contract of work etc...

Will they be likely to grant multiple entry visa? Can we marry on first visit and she returns before CR-1?

CR-1 takes 9 months?? really so long? What is difference in CR-1 and I-310 or is one needed for the other.

So how long for K1? 2-3 months? Can she work and get drivers license before green card.

We want to do everything properly, and not jeopardize our future. I was thinking visit on tourist, marry. file documents for I-310 or CR1 and she returns home and doesn't overstay visa and then returns.

Can you give me timeline of each way. Thanks for info, any advice?

Two answer your questions.

1) Can always apply for a tourist visa, but keep in mind, immigrant intent is always assumed and need to provide evidence that will not violate the terms of the visa and return home after the visit.

2) There is nothing stopping a marriage while visiting, the marriage while visiting is not the problem, it is using a visit visa with INTENT to immigrate that is. It is perfectly OK to marry while visiting then file an I-130 for a spouse visa, do not over stay the visit, and return home and waiti for the visa interview.

3) Spouse visas tend to take in the 9 - 12 month range for most places, green-card is issued once enter the USA on a spouse (CR-1) visa.

4) If you have not yet met in person either in USA or over in foreign country, you cannot file for a K-1 fiancee visa. As for better? It will cost nearly $1000 more in FEES. It may shave a month or so off processing. CR-1 Spouse has the benefit of an instant green-card, K-1 does not, and has to apply to adjust status and perhaps wait 4-5 months to get a green-card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We have spent much time together in Poland. We want to be together soon. Of course I understand not to overstay visa and she will return home after the 3 week visit. She must return and complete the contract of work etc...

Will they be likely to grant multiple entry visa? Can we marry on first visit and she returns before CR-1?

CR-1 takes 9 months?? really so long? What is difference in CR-1 and I-310 or is one needed for the other.

So how long for K1? 2-3 months? Can she work and get drivers license before green card.

We want to do everything properly, and not jeopardize our future. I was thinking visit on tourist, marry. file documents for I-310 or CR1 and she returns home and doesn't overstay visa and then returns.

Can you give me timeline of each way. Thanks for info, any advice?

I have seen people get multi entry B-2 visas, it is not uncommon.

Yes can marry then return to wait out CR-1

CR-1 9 months breaks down this way, File I-130 petition USCIS and it takes about 5 months to approve, then 2-3 months processing at NVC, then a month or 2 at the consulate.

K-1 is about the same time to process, 5 months to approve I-129F, 1 - 1.5 months at NVC, 1 - 2 months at consulate. K-1 may save you a month or two, HOWEVER costs nearly $1000 more than CR-1 in fees.

CR-1 gets Green-card and SSN shortly after arriving in the USA. K-1 needs to marry, then apply to adjust status, (4 - 8 months to process.

Because CR-1 gets GC and SSN shortly after arrival can apply for a driver's license. K-1 on the other hand tends to have problems getting a DL most states require SSN AND legal presence doc like green-card or EAD card which for K-1 can take months to get.

CR-1 can also apply for work immediately after entry to the USA, K-1 cannot an has to wait MONTHS to get EAD or green-card to be able to take a job.

Your plan Visit, marry, file I-130 for CR-1 visa and not overstay is a sound one.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

So lets say I do it this way and we marry and she returns to Poland and she has multiple entry visa. Can she return before the completion of CR1, maybe like 6-7 months later or will it be a problem? Can she be here and receive CR-1 or must be in Poland? Thanks for all info very much

I have seen people get multi entry B-2 visas, it is not uncommon.

Yes can marry then return to wait out CR-1

CR-1 9 months breaks down this way, File I-130 petition USCIS and it takes about 5 months to approve, then 2-3 months processing at NVC, then a month or 2 at the consulate.

K-1 is about the same time to process, 5 months to approve I-129F, 1 - 1.5 months at NVC, 1 - 2 months at consulate. K-1 may save you a month or two, HOWEVER costs nearly $1000 more than CR-1 in fees.

CR-1 gets Green-card and SSN shortly after arriving in the USA. K-1 needs to marry, then apply to adjust status, (4 - 8 months to process.

Because CR-1 gets GC and SSN shortly after arrival can apply for a driver's license. K-1 on the other hand tends to have problems getting a DL most states require SSN AND legal presence doc like green-card or EAD card which for K-1 can take months to get.

CR-1 can also apply for work immediately after entry to the USA, K-1 cannot an has to wait MONTHS to get EAD or green-card to be able to take a job.

Your plan Visit, marry, file I-130 for CR-1 visa and not overstay is a sound one.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So lets say I do it this way and we marry and she returns to Poland and she has multiple entry visa. Can she return before the completion of CR1, maybe like 6-7 months later or will it be a problem? Can she be here and receive CR-1 or must be in Poland? Thanks for all info very much

She could come there, you two could get married and send the i130 (cr-1) application while she is still there. She can go home and finish her life up there for the next 7-9 months. She will have a harder time getting through on a vistor visa once you are married as "they may see it as intent to move". I cannot say much more as I have never done a vistor visa but I know that having a US husband means they usually take it as you want to move asap. She will have to be in poland to do the medical,interview and receive the visa. The green card itself will come to the residence she intends to live at in the States.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

OK thanks for the information. I would not want her to make the journey here second time and be turned back.

I can visit her during this time, it is OK. But does immigration somehow automatically know we are married due to me filing the I-310?

Thanks for the information. And will she get spouse visa in embassy in Poland?

I think we can do all forms ourselves without lawyer, is it ok, is there any special considerations?

Technically she ccan travel on the multiple entry visa, chances are most likely she will be turned back at the port of entry.

So simply bite the bullet, you guys will have to stay apart for 8-9 months after marriage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

you can visit her in Poland - US immigration does not care about it as long as the Poland is ok.

For filing I-130 you need some reason, like some family ties or some relation - so that automatically will show she is your spouse. You can do it without a lawyer, you dont need a lawyer unless you got a really complicated case.

US immigration has all the records and they tie them well too, I know cases where they will have things you told them 10 yrs back on the record.

OK I think I understand all thank you very much. One last question. How much time will be saved if I apply for K3 in between? What are steps, Apply for K3 then get adjustment when she comes. How much more cost?

There is no chance of deportation or baring her from US under this way is there? I think it only is case i someone comes here and does not leave. Is it correct?

you can visit her in Poland - US immigration does not care about it as long as the Poland is ok.

For filing I-130 you need some reason, like some family ties or some relation - so that automatically will show she is your spouse. You can do it without a lawyer, you dont need a lawyer unless you got a really complicated case.

US immigration has all the records and they tie them well too, I know cases where they will have things you told them 10 yrs back on the record.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Don't bother with the K-3, it's for all purposes not obtainable now a days anymore.

As long as you follow the rules there will be no barring or deportation, no worries!

Just read up on the Guides (top of page) for the CR-1 and you'll be fine without a lawyer!

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Thanks, we do want to do anything to jeopardize our future.

So I think we know. I can visit her during these 9 months. If everything is legit they will not deny CR1 will they?

Don't bother with the K-3, it's for all purposes not obtainable now a days anymore.

As long as you follow the rules there will be no barring or deportation, no worries!

Just read up on the Guides (top of page) for the CR-1 and you'll be fine without a lawyer!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

As long as everything is legit, the Visas are not denied. There are few things you should be very clear about is, that the person you are trying to bring over is a legit.

I mean they not using you just a means to immigrate to US, there has been case where ppl have done that. Just for getting into the country they would target a USC.

I understand and am familiar with this, but she is a scientist I met while working there by chance in the lab where I was installing equipment not on internet or something. I have been there several times and met her family. She doesn't particularly want to come to US but is going to so we can be together. Thanks for advice.

As long as everything is legit, the Visas are not denied. There are few things you should be very clear about is, that the person you are trying to bring over is a legit.

I mean they not using you just a means to immigrate to US, there has been case where ppl have done that. Just for getting into the country they would target a USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.