coppermouse

Tourist visa for girlfriend

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I understand and am familiar with this, but she is a scientist I met while working there by chance in the lab where I was installing equipment not on internet or something. I have been there several times and met her family. She doesn't particularly want to come to US but is going to so we can be together. Thanks for advice.

If everything is legit, then you dont have to worry about her getting rejected - I just mentioned the scenario of fraud, coz you mentioned about u being worried about her being rejected multiple times in your thread.

Filed: Timeline

I understand, my fear is only that we do everything correct without problems. Thanks for all advice. Now we will see if she is granted tourist visa. Thank you.

Other people told me this method would be fraud, but I think they assume she was not going home to wait for CR1 and only stay here. I think all is clear. 9 months is long time, I can go visit her. Is 9 month maximum or typical?

If everything is legit, then you dont have to worry about her getting rejected - I just mentioned the scenario of fraud, coz you mentioned about u being worried about her being rejected multiple times in your thread.

2 last questions:

Is there a waiting period for foreign national having civil marriage in US. I think I know she will need documents translated birth certificate and permission to marry (evidence she is not already married)

Could border patrol search her and discover these documents and turn her away?

If yes would it be better to courier these documents ahead of time?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

What are requirements here for marriage, I saw some web sites say we need social security numbers? IS it true. What do I need to do for civil marriage?

Check to requirements for your state, go down to your courthouse and ask what you need and then you will have the correct answer. This differs from state to state!

I didn't need anything but my passport and have some paper notarized (which they gave me).

If she would need to bring any papers with her I would actually recommend sending them ahead of time, might get in trouble at POE if they would search her and find those, since a normal tourist would not be carrying those.

And yes, the people saying it's not allowed are probably thinking she will be marrying, and then adjusting her status without leaving, which isn't allowed, but since she'll be leaving and applying for the CR-1, just don't listen. Me and my hubby did the same thing!

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Filed: Other Timeline

There is no waiting period and there are no requirements for foreigners to get married. There are no translations required either. All that's required is a Government-issued form of Identification, such as a passport and a statement that the people about to be married are "free" to marry which implies that they aren't married already.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If she has never been married is she required this statement of never being married before? Is it from her country?

There is no waiting period and there are no requirements for foreigners to get married. There are no translations required either. All that's required is a Government-issued form of Identification, such as a passport and a statement that the people about to be married are "free" to marry which implies that they aren't married already.

Timeline

The easiest way to find an answer to specific questions like this is to contact the courthouse where you plan to get married and they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need/don't need.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to agree contact the courthouse.

My husband took my canadian passport and got the marriage licence on his way home from work one day. That was in Maryland, no ssn was needed just a form of id and I didnt even have to be there. There was no waiting period either.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Check with your local court house. I still think she would need a certificate from her embassy clearing she is not married at the moment.

If she was married, then div was complete and all legal proceedings are completed. She might also need another document from her home country that there are no legal cases pending against her (but I think she would need that later and not for marriage).

She would not need these documents when she is visiting you on B2 so she need not bring them with her, but she can bring all these documents with her when she will return back on K1 – at this time these documents are legit as they would be required for the marriage.

I don’t think any state would need a SSN especially if you are marrying a foreign citizen; chances are they would never have a SSN.

Timeline

Check with your local court house. I still think she would need a certificate from her embassy clearing she is not married at the moment.

If she was married, then div was complete and all legal proceedings are completed. She might also need another document from her home country that there are no legal cases pending against her (but I think she would need that later and not for marriage).

She would not need these documents when she is visiting you on B2 so she need not bring them with her, but she can bring all these documents with her when she will return back on K1 – at this time these documents are legit as they would be required for the marriage.

I don’t think any state would need a SSN especially if you are marrying a foreign citizen; chances are they would never have a SSN.

The parts of this I agree with is:

Check with your local courthouse,

and you don't need a SSN for her to get married.

Don't even know why you are talking about a K-1, unless you have not read the whole thread....

I checked with courthouse, I have to call again tomorrow, she was not married before and I will see if this document is needed and if so send it ahead and not have on her person. We are not going to to bother with K1, just get married soon and she will return and wait out CR-1. I will go there this summer.

She have interview now with embassy Monday wish me luck and she will be here in Feb.

Thanks for all help

The parts of this I agree with is:

Check with your local courthouse,

and you don't need a SSN for her to get married.

Don't even know why you are talking about a K-1, unless you have not read the whole thread....

BTW I checked our courthouse and all she needs is her passport. since she has never been married before no document saying she is not married is needed. I hope this is correct.

It is a little bit rural area. Then the marriage certificate they issue is what I need for I-310, in addition to other documents? She can send other docs by courier in the future.

Coppermouse, my understanding is that the document saying you are free to marry is needed only for certain countries (and its the countries that require it, not the U.S.). For example, in the Philippines you have to have a CENOMAR document that the beneficiary would bring to his/her interview. This isn't something required in the UK (and I don't think it's required in the U.S., even for those petitioning for people from the Phils). So I wouldn't worry about that--unless your fiancee needs something for her home country, you should be fine.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.