foxxiroxxi

pregnant and PCAP in New York State

13 posts in this topic

Hello VJ'ers.

i am a PR(unconditional) and i found out that i am now 6 weeks pregnant. I do not have health insurance b/c my husband got laid off 2 months ago.

from what i have been reading on these forums, PR's do not qualify for Medicaid unless we have lived in the US as a PR for 5 years.

so after some research, i have found out about the PCAP(Prenatal Care Assistance Program) in the State of New York.

It says that they provide prenatal care regardless of immigration status. you can be an illegal and still get care through this program. It is more based on your residency in the state and your income level.

so, my question is, has anybody used the PCAP program? If i do qualify, would it fall under the public means of w.e, where i have to pay the gov't back?

I made an appointment with the OBGYN tomorrow, and they said to just bring a photo ID and they would help me sign up for the program. I'm hoping i qualify!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your husband is a US citizen? If your husband is a citizen then this is not an issue.

You are not prevented from using this program, however I would see if you can use the program through a US Citizen spouse..

I did some looking and yes it looks like a means tested program..

http://www.cdfny.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=46

Moving topic..

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

ty for the replies,

yes my husband is a US citizen.

inorder to continue his insurance from work, they were asking for around 400 bucks a month. we rarely go see doctors so figured it'd be a waste of money to pay 400 bucks a month when we had no income.

so if the PCAP is means-tested benefits, my husband has to pay back the full amount or would they be giving us a discounted amount to pay back? because i dont mind paying back as long as its a reasonable amount. or if PCAP gives me a discount on a sliding scale, and i'm making payments, does that mean i have to pay back the discount i got back to PCAP?

how soon do they come to you to collect the payments if its considered means-tested benefit?

and are there other systems that allows me to buy a special discounted insurance for pregnant women that would not put my husband on the hook later on? If we can come up with some payment agreement i would rather do that, and not have to deal with some ridiculous amount of bills coming to us later down the road.

sorry, just found this on the USCIS page.

i searched under "public charge"

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=354fb2a3fffb4210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration

Under the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:

• Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care

• Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

• Nutrition programs, including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs

• Housing benefits

• Child care services

• Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

• Emergency disaster relief

• Foster care and adoption assistance

• Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary, or higher education

• Job training programs

• In-kind, community-based programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)

• Non-cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies

• Cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, among other forms of earned benefits, do not support a public charge determination

• Unemployment compensation is also not considered for public charge purposes

Some of the above programs may provide cash benefits, such as energy assistance, transportation or child care benefits provided under TANF or the Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG), and one-time emergency payments under TANF. Since the purpose of such benefits is not for income maintenance, but rather to avoid the need for on-going cash assistance for income maintenance, they are not subject to public charge consideration.

so does that mean if i get PCAP, which is prenatal care, its not going to come back later to bill my husband?

PCAP is medicaid. The difference is that all women in NYC are able to take advantage of it regardless of immigration status. I dont believe that you can take advantage of it but you can only apply and see if you are. Trust me in NY they will deny you if they can so it wont hurt to try.

You can also take advantage of this Alternative and pay on a sliding scale.

You do need to get this sorted asap for your health and baby (congrats). In some states they will prosecute mothers for not having any prenatal care.

When I had my first child in the US,I didnt have health insurance and I didnt know anything about emergency medicaid. I had to pay for my prenatal care on the sliding scale and the medical bills for delivering my son was about $8000.

All the best

sorry, just found this on the USCIS page.

i searched under "public charge"

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=354fb2a3fffb4210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration

Under the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:

• Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care

• Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

• Nutrition programs, including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs

• Housing benefits

• Child care services

• Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

• Emergency disaster relief

• Foster care and adoption assistance

• Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary, or higher education

• Job training programs

• In-kind, community-based programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)

• Non-cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies

• Cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, among other forms of earned benefits, do not support a public charge determination

• Unemployment compensation is also not considered for public charge purposes

Some of the above programs may provide cash benefits, such as energy assistance, transportation or child care benefits provided under TANF or the Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG), and one-time emergency payments under TANF. Since the purpose of such benefits is not for income maintenance, but rather to avoid the need for on-going cash assistance for income maintenance, they are not subject to public charge consideration.

so does that mean if i get PCAP, which is prenatal care, its not going to come back later to bill my husband?

Edited by Myopia

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Timeline

I don't know about your state but in Texas, if you're NOT a USC, you may apply for CHIP Prenatal. If your income is low enough to qualify, it costs you nothing. You'll be entitled up to 20 prenatal exams, vitamins. When you're ready to deliver the baby, make sure you fill out "the Emergency Medicaid" form sent to you by the Texas Human Health Services Department. It will cost you NOTHING to have the baby.

I know, I know. Nothing is free. It's the taxpayers' money. But if your SO has been a taxpayer to the State for a while, you shouldn't feel guilty about using your "privilege" permitted by your State law.

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I dont know if im in the right topic but i have a question:-

I am a british citizen and im married to an american citizen, we are living in the USA, If i went to england to have a baby, would the baby be a british citizen so there for would not be able to come back to the USA without a visa etc???

How would that work??

November 2007: Michael Messaged Leanne on Facebook!

January 2009: Michael & Leanne got engaged!

May 26, 2009: Filed I-129F!

November 20, 2009: Leanne's medical in London (she never received packet 3)

Februay 4, 2010: Michael attended interview with Leanne... APPROVED!!!!!!!!

Februay 12, 2010: Leanne received her visa in the mail :)

April 9, 2010: P.O.E.

April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA t4527.gif

July 06, 2010: Mailed AOS package

July 08, 2010: Received in Chicago

July 15, 2010: Received text & email that app. was received

July 17, 2010: Received NOA1 dated 7-14-10, our 3-month wedding anniversary :)

August 2, 2010: Biometrics appointment

August 11, 2010: Notice of Interview date

August 26, 2010: Touches on I-131 & I-765, production of EAD card ordered

August 31, 2010: I-131 Travel Doc. approved, EAD production ordered(again)

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail!(both dated 8/26)

September 20, 2010: AOS Interview- APPROVED

July 27, 2012: Filed for Removal of Conditions

July 30, 2012: NOA date

August 31, 2012: Biometrics appointment. March 12, 2013: APPROVED :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I dont know if im in the right topic but i have a question:-

I am a british citizen and im married to an american citizen, we are living in the USA, If i went to england to have a baby, would the baby be a british citizen so there for would not be able to come back to the USA without a visa etc???

How would that work??

I resurrect the dead!

Actually be careful. If you are out of the UK for more than 6 months, you are supposed to pay for your prenatal care and birth.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

• 8 months later...

Did you apply for PCAP program of NY state? I'm worried that If i applied it will back fire to me. We also worried that when we apply for REMOVAL OF CONDITION next year, this might be a problem. Anyone can help? I really don't know what to do... Excited and worried.

I'm on the same boat as yours. My wife is 6 weeks pregnant. I have work but our company health insurance terminated late last year (2011) because of group ineligibility. My employer didn't even offer us a new health insurance. While still looking for new affordable health insurance these past few weeks. My wife told me she's 6 weeks pregnant. I just applied for Healthy NY insurance and still waiting for approval. However, I just found out that her pre-existing condition is not covered by health insurance and majority of health insurance don't cover as well when you are pregnant and applying for insurance. This is a big problem for us right now. I hope someone can give us some advise.... Thanks!

Edited by rhenzhen

05/08/2010: Married
03/18/2011: I-130 Sent
03/21/2011: NOA1 noticed date
05/27/2011: NOA2 noticed date
06/28/2011: NVC finally received our case!
06/30/2011: Case number received!
07/01/2011: Received DS-3032 from NVC
07/04/2011: Wifey e-mailed DS-3032 form to NVC
07/06/2011: Paid AOS bill
07/09/2011: DS-3032 received/processed by NVC
07/11/2011: IV bill received :
07/22/2011: IV bill paid
07/25/2011: AOS/I-864 packet mailed
07/27/2011: AOS/I-864 packet delivered to NVC
08/02/2011: DS-230 packet mailed to NVC
08/03/2011: DS-230 packet delivered to NVC
08/08/2011: Medical Exam Taken
08/09/2011: Medical Results: PASSED! Yehey!

08/10/2011: Case Completed / Sign In Failed

08/12/2011: Interview date assigned : September 19, 8:30am @ USEM... Yay!
09/19/2011: WIFE'S VISA APPROVED!!!
Thank YOU Lord!
09/23/2011: Wife picked up her VISA..
10/24/2011: POE: J.F.K.-NY

ROC

08/26/2013: i-751 mailed

08/28/2013: i-751 received per USPS tracking...

08/29/2013: NOA receipt date

10/04/2013: Biometrics appointment

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Did you apply for PCAP program of NY state? I'm worried that If i applied it will back fire to me. We also worried that when we apply for REMOVAL OF CONDITION next year, this might be a problem. Anyone can help? I really don't know what to do... Excited and worried.

I'm on the same boat as yours. My wife is 6 weeks pregnant. I have work but our company health insurance terminated late last year (2011) because of group ineligibility. My employer didn't even offer us a new health insurance. While still looking for new affordable health insurance these past few weeks. My wife told me she's 6 weeks pregnant. I just applied for Healthy NY insurance and still waiting for approval. However, I just found out that her pre-existing condition is not covered by health insurance and majority of health insurance don't cover as well when you are pregnant and applying for insurance. This is a big problem for us right now. I hope someone can give us some advise.... Thanks!

PCAP is a great program, I don't know where in NY you live, but what I suggest you do is find a local hospital that accepts it and usually they will do the enrollment process there at the hospital. The people who help you sign up are typically well-informed on what eligibility requirements are, etc. and they can give you better info than anybody on here.

Good luck & congrats on the upcoming baby.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.