one...two...tree

Could There Be Some Clarification With Regard to Quoting Another Member in Signature?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have seen many times over the years, members quoting another member and using that as part of their signature, so I was surprised to be told that doing so will now warrant a suspension.

If they are no longer permitted under any circumstances, I can live that, but if there are circumstances when it is permissible, can Captain Ewok or a Moderator elaborate on when it is and isn't permissible?

Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I have seen many times over the years, members quoting another member and using that as part of their signature, so I was surprised to be told that doing so will now warrant a suspension.

If they are no longer permitted under any circumstances, I can live that, but if there are circumstances when it is permissible, can Captain Ewok or a Moderator elaborate on when it is and isn't permissible?

Thanks.

What I said in that thread is the official line actually. No matter if the quote is accurate, its not allowed simply because it exists outside of the context of the post. The moderators and Ewok feel it targets the person unfairly.

Basically take everything you know about what can and can not be published and throw it out the window. In the real world, its legal to do, but in VJ land its seen as unfair and targeting the user.

Edited by Sousuke

What about quoting another member and using that in your post and not the Sig.?

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

You mean, like thus?

No problem with that.

No like thus.

You mean, like thus?

No problem with that.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What about quoting a signature in your post? Could I say something like, "Does anybody have any rice" Or how about "Who made the rice" Or would that be too transparent.

Would it be ok to tell someone they have a rice mustache.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

You mean like in every post you make? Probably skirts the rules a bit. Have to say it would be much harder to undo, though the moderator's could remove it. At the moment only Ewok can remove signatures.

Timeline

Is there a reason to quote another member in your signature, other than to bait, or humiliate that member?

How about holding them accountable to what they've said? I've been quoted that way in more than one person's signature and I didn't feel the least bit offended, but that's just me. While I'm all in favor of a TOS that keeps this place civil, let's be honest, if mere baiting would warrant a suspension, we'd all be blocked out of posting here, often, including you, Bill. So the issue isn't whether is might be construed as baiting, but whether such baiting is any worse than the daily baiting that goes on here. And to clarify - there are instances of obvious baiting in threads that serve no purpose to the subject at hand.

With all the great minds throughout history to quote: Einstein, Ghandi, Jesus, Mohammad, Obama, Rush Limbaugh, Ben Franklin, Pee Wee Herman, etc. Who is so concerned with quoting the great minds of VJ? It calls their sanity into question, does it not? :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Timeline

How about holding them accountable to what they've said?

Real men don't care.

I've been quoted that way in more than one person's signature and I didn't feel the least bit offended, but that's just me. While I'm all in favor of a TOS that keeps this place civil, let's be honest, if mere baiting would warrant a suspension, we'd all be blocked out of posting here, often, including you, Bill. So the issue isn't whether is might be construed as baiting, but whether such baiting is any worse than the daily baiting that goes on here. And to clarify - there are instances of obvious baiting in threads that serve no purpose to the subject at hand.

Playing in a thread may be one thing, but anything in a signature is global, and follows you around like a dark cloud.

Timeline

Playing in a thread may be one thing, but anything in a signature is global, and follows you around like a dark cloud.

You sound like one of those activist judges, making exception to the rules in certain situations.

The question is whether it is an offense that warrants a suspension and if so, then any signature that is political in nature could be construed as a form of baiting and therefore also subject to suspension. Just how far do we want to go with this nannyfication of anything that can be taken as baiting?

Timeline

We are allowed a lot more leeway I have found in OT and R&P's than we have in the upper forums. It should stay in those heated forums. There is really no reason to follow someone around and snipe at them. The majority of the folks in the upper forums have no idea of the Lower forum where it is like the wild west sometimes or have seen it and want no part of it so bringing the sniping to them causes problems and such. If it is in the Sig then whenever one goes outside the lower forums into the upper forums and posts they are now subjected to the mentality that the majority stay out of anyway and they have no part there. It also means that they are subjected to one side and have no idea what or why that member is being subjected to unwarranted abuse.

Hope this clears it up for y'all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are allowed a lot more leeway I have found in OT and R&P's than we have in the upper forums. It should stay in those heated forums. There is really no reason to follow someone around and snipe at them. The majority of the folks in the upper forums have no idea of the Lower forum where it is like the wild west sometimes or have seen it and want no part of it so bringing the sniping to them causes problems and such. If it is in the Sig then whenever one goes outside the lower forums into the upper forums and posts they are now subjected to the mentality that the majority stay out of anyway and they have no part there. It also means that they are subjected to one side and have no idea what or why that member is being subjected to unwarranted abuse.

Hope this clears it up for y'all.

I like your upper forum and lower forum classification.