rsn

iPhones continue to suck

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

After Apple Says Otherwise, iPhone Alarm Still Remains Silent

bits-iphonealarm-blog480.jpg

screenshot via The New York Times

The iPhone alarm failed to work again on Monday morning after Apple said the problem would fix itself.If you use you iPhone as an alarm clock, it might be time for a backup plan.

On Sunday I wrote an article about an iPhone programming bug that failed to activate the phone's built-in alarm, leaving a lot of customers upset, confused and late. In the article, I noted that Apple had acknowledged the problem existing but said it would automatically fix itself by Monday, January 3rd.

Yet on Monday morning the problem did not seem to have gone away. A lot of angry iPhone owners wrote in to The Times complaining that they had missed flights, were late for work, or had failed to drop their kids off for the first day of the 2011 school year — all because the iPhone alarm didn't work again.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment asking if there was an update to the programming error.

The problem seems to have affected so many customers that it became a trending topic on Twitter by late Monday morning. Most were irate that they had been assured that the phone would work properly for their first day back to work, but instead remained silent all morning long.

Erick Piller, a student who uses his iPhone as a primary alarm, said in an e-mail that he missed a scheduled flight this morning after Apple had assured the media that the alarm would begin work again on Monday morning. "I set a non-repeating alarm for 3:30 a.m. Monday, but when I woke up by chance at 4 a.m., it hadn't gone off," Mr. Piller said. "I ended up missing a flight by fifteen minutes."

Other readers wrote in to say that they thought they were "going crazy," or had somehow broken their phone, when the alarm didn't work again Monday morning.

In my Sunday article it was unclear if the alarm error affected only iPhone 4 owners, but by Monday a number of readers said their earlier model iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G failed to work properly too.

One of the most popular messages on Twitter about the problem was written by comedian Andy Borowitz who said: "Steve Jobs was set to hold a press conference on iPhone alarm glitch, but he overslept."

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Even if the iPhone didn't work and couldn't make calls, people would still buy them by the millions. That guy has the greatest marketing of any company on the planet. He could sell sh!t and people would be camping out to buy it.

iPhone fans camp out to buy the new 3G

1215782302_8503.jpg

Jordan Michaels and Ethan Mahoney

Michaels got in line Tuesday at midnight, and his friend Mahoney joined him the next morning to keep him company. "I haven't showered or slept but I love life; I'm getting an iPhone," Michaels said.

(Susan Torres/Boston.com Correspondent)

Every business and company would do anything to have that blind, loyal following. And on top of it all, everything sells for a premium price. Last years technology at tomorrows prices. :devil: I know people who have an iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, Macbook, and Apple TV. And as soon as an updated model comes out, they buy that too. Who wouldn't want customers like that?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Every business and company would do anything to have that blind, loyal following. And on top of it all, everything sells for a premium price. Last years technology at tomorrows prices. :devil: I know people who have an iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, Macbook, and Apple TV. And as soon as an updated model comes out, they buy that too. Who wouldn't want customers like that?

Yea, Apple stuff sure is hella-expensive. No argument there. I'll buy my next Windows-based laptop off of craigslist, thank you very much.

The iPad looks kind of cool though. Still, way more than I am willing to pay.

Edited by rsn

I have an iPhone, and actually didn't have the alarm trouble. As for the iPad I wouldn't have bought one, since I have a net book for school and power laptop for school. I happened to win one from work as a raffle and it's ok but I am not 100% sold on it yet.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

I have an iPhone, and actually didn't have the alarm trouble. As for the iPad I wouldn't have bought one, since I have a net book for school and power laptop for school. I happened to win one from work as a raffle and it's ok but I am not 100% sold on it yet.

One of the nice things about tablets (the iPad is a tablet) is that they should allow you to take freehand notes. For example, open up an existing email or word document and annotate it with your own script during a meeting. Pretty useful, IMHO.

I've played around with a friends iPad and it is fun, but slow as hell on the AT&T 3G service. I like the touch screen interaction, but as far as typing extensively on the virtual keyboard, no thank you. Again, I think it is a cool device, but starting at $500, it's too much IMHO. The one Apple product that does give me wood is the new Macbook Air. That is one sexy laptop.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My Winders Mobile Pone doesna have this alarum limitation.

No, I won't trade ya my Winders Mobile Pone for yer lame-@ss non-alarum iPone, either.

But you know who will?? ANY SPRINT STORE - go now, get 'fixed' - you'll fine in a few moments (or was that fined?)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

they've been Ipunked.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm surprised Apple doesn't bring back the Pet Rock and call it iRock and sell it for 149.99.

just wait until they release their line of sex toys......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!