Karla and David

Help! I-130 and I-485

6 posts in this topic

I'm going to mail off my I-130 soon but i want to make sure I have everything in order first before sending it off. My question is When do u file the I-485 form?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm going to mail off my I-130 soon but i want to make sure I have everything in order first before sending it off. My question is When do u file the I-485 form?

If you are seeking an immigrant spouse visa, you never file the I-485 form. Your spouse will enter the USA with the status sought by those filing the I-485.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You don't need to file an I-485. Your spouse will enter on an IR1/CR1 visa, which will lead to a green card shortly after s/he arrives.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

If you are seeking an immigrant spouse visa, you never file the I-485 form. Your spouse will enter the USA with the status sought by those filing the I-485.

Thank you

Filed: Other Timeline

If your spouse is in the US, adjusting status from non-immigrant (visitor, student, etc.), or if you have a fiance outside the US (K-1), you will need to file for AOS, which form I-485 is.

If your spouse (husband/wive) lives outside the US, then you apply for a CR-1 visa if you're married for less than 2 years, or an IR-1 visa, if you are married for two years or longer.

Once approved, your spouse will enter the US already with the status of a lawful permanent resident (LPR), which is a Green Card holder, and no adjustment of status (AOS) is necessary.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.