Eric-Pris

Bringing other step kids to the US

20 posts in this topic

What about this situation...

My wife and 2 daughters are here (K1 & K-2's), have green card (currently removing conditions). My wife has 2 other kids (ages12-13) in her country who did not move here with her, but may want to in the next couple of years.

If she becomes a citizen, I know that the two K-2's automatically do. What about her other two kids?

I know one of the conditions is that they have to be admitted to the US for permanent residence to receive automatic citizenship, so they won't be citizens living abroad. But do they have to be admitted to the US prior to my wife applying for citizenship, or can they come here AFTER she receives citizenship?

THANKS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pretty sure they need to be permenant residents in the US when your wife naturalizes in order to get citizenship. Someone will confirm

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

What about this situation...

My wife and 2 daughters are here (K1 & K-2's), have green card (currently removing conditions). My wife has 2 other kids (ages12-13) in her country who did not move here with her, but may want to in the next couple of years.

If she becomes a citizen, I know that the two K-2's automatically do. What about her other two kids?

I know one of the conditions is that they have to be admitted to the US for permanent residence to receive automatic citizenship, so they won't be citizens living abroad. But do they have to be admitted to the US prior to my wife applying for citizenship, or can they come here AFTER she receives citizenship?

THANKS.

it's not a requirement. it's a matter of when your wife would like to bring them over. since they're children (less than 21), there won't be any problems bringing them over in the next 2-4 years (unless they change the provisions during this time period, hehe) because the only main issue would be their place in the visa waiting line (priority/preference) based on your wife's status (whether a LPR or a USC) at the time of application, which is almost a non-issue when the beneficiaries are children.

the sooner she applies though (while an lpr) the better because the only effect on it when she becomes a usc is that their papers are moved closer to the priority list. no time will be wasted :)

also any issues you find on the children's papers will be resolved sooner.

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

So are you saying that she can apply for citizenship now, and then in the next 3-4 years, as soon as the kids come into the US as immigrants, they will automatically receive citizenship?

Thanks again.

Timeline

She can apply for citizenship after being a resident for 3 years and married to a USC, unless she has that now, she cannot apply for citizenship now

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

She can apply for citizenship after being a resident for 3 years and married to a USC, unless she has that now, she cannot apply for citizenship now

Good luck

My question wasn't clear. I know about the 3 year rule for my wife to apply for citizenship. Next year, she will have her GC for 3 years, so she'll be eligible. My question was more about the kids. Do they have to already be here as permanent residents BEFORE my wife applies for citizenship in order to receive the automatic citizenship through my wife, or could we bring them over AFTER she gets her citizenship. If we do it after, will they automatically receive citizenship as soon as they enter the US as immigrants or do we have to send out forms? Or would we just apply for their U.S. passports after they arrive?

Sorry about the confusion.

Timeline

See below - especially in bold

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/CCA_102504.pdf

The CCA of 2000 states that a child is automatically a United States citizen when one parent is a United States citizen by birth or naturalization and the child is under 18 and is a lawful permanent resident at the time citizenship occurs. Also, the child must be residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the United States citizen parent. In other words, to be eligible for the automatic acquisition of citizenship under the CCA of 2000, the child must have been under the age of 18 on the date of passage and meet all of the other abovementioned requirements.

If they are not legal residents when your wife naturalizes, she may then petition for them herself but they will NOT receive citizenship

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anyone have to contact number to the visa call center in the Phil? The old 1-888-877-9888 don't work anymore and I need to follow up on a K-2 visas for wifes 2 sons. Please help if anyone knows. Thanks

Victor Duran

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi. I have some questions with regards to the acquisition of citizenhip ( CCA )

I have 2 pending I-130 applications for my kids, aged 17 ( turning 17 this Dec) and 15 respectively. I have also applied to be USC. My question-

Does the above post mean that when my kids are able to come, by God's grace before my eldest turns 18, and I am already a USC at that time, he will not be eligible to be a derivative? Will that be because I would have become a USC, BEFORE they are able to come here? Based on the trends, I think I will be USC first before they come. My husband, who is USC was the one who petitioned for them ( as stepchildren)

If this is the case, I should have filed for the N-400 when they are already here as LPRs?

Sorry for the confusion..I tried to do everything at once, thinking it will be beneficial to them, aside from the fact that I have been heartbroken from missing them for quite sometime...

• 4 weeks later...

hi. I have some questions with regards to the acquisition of citizenhip ( CCA )

I have 2 pending I-130 applications for my kids, aged 17 ( turning 17 this Dec) and 15 respectively. I have also applied to be USC. My question-

Does the above post mean that when my kids are able to come, by God's grace before my eldest turns 18, and I am already a USC at that time, he will not be eligible to be a derivative? Will that be because I would have become a USC, BEFORE they are able to come here? Based on the trends, I think I will be USC first before they come. My husband, who is USC was the one who petitioned for them ( as stepchildren)

If this is the case, I should have filed for the N-400 when they are already here as LPRs?

Sorry for the confusion..I tried to do everything at once, thinking it will be beneficial to them, aside from the fact that I have been heartbroken from missing them for quite sometime...

Based on the information I have found in my search, I am not sure that what the previous member said about the kids having to be residents BEFORE you apply for citizenship is correct. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that they can come after you are naturalized and they can still be naturalized as a derivative, as long as they are admitted to the US as immigrants (meaning they can't come on a tourist visa). So if your kids come AFTER you're naturalize, they may still become citizens.

But again, I'm not 100% sure, I've come across contradicting information online. Best to speak with a couple immigration lawyers. Let me know if you find out for sure, I would be interested to know myself. Thanks.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: Other Timeline

Ezzie,

when your kids are LPRs, and you naturalize, they automatically become USCs with you. They then would file N-600s to document what has taken place.

If you are a USC already by the time your kids arrive in the US, that won't work anymore, of course. They then would get their own Green Cards, and 5 years later they can file their own N-400s.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Eric-Pris,

There are four requirements. At any time that all four are met, the children will obtain US citizenship. The children can immigrate AFTER their mom naturalize and still be able to obtain citizenship. Take this from someone who has actually gone through the process.

The requirements under CCA are;

1) The child has at least one US citizen parent (by birth or naturalization).

2) The child is under age 18.

3) The child is currently residing permanently in the US in the legal and physical custody of the US citizen parent.

4) The child has been admitted to the US as a legal permanent resident or has been adjusted to this status.

As long as the children immigrate to the US before age 18 as LPRs and live with mom who is a US citizen, they are US citizens. It does not matter if they come after she becomes a US citizen. At any moment that all four requirements are met, they are US citizens.

After they come to the US, just file form N-600, Certificate of Citizenship. That's it. They do not need to file form N-400, Application for Naturalization. They are not naturalizing, they receive their US citizenship by Operation of Law under the CCA.

After the Certificate of Citizenship is received, they can file for a US passport so they can travel abroad.

Edited by Jojo92122

• 1 month later...

As long as the children immigrate to the US before age 18 as LPRs and live with mom who is a US citizen, they are US citizens. It does not matter if they come after she becomes a US citizen. At any moment that all four requirements are met, they are US citizens.

Jojo,

Thanks for the post,

In your situation, did the kids come before or after the LPR naturalized? I only ask because your post contradicts whatJustBob posted. I'm trying to figure out which is correct.

Thanks a lot,

Eric

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.