trillium13

Creationists to build "full scale" replica of Noah's Ark

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would want to visit a full-scale replica - sounds pretty cool.

I think it would be pretty cool to see the craftmanship of this. I however fear that if people who don't believe in their dogma visit this just to see the sight of a giant ark, and for no other reason might infer to some, a level of acceptance. Seeing as this museum is one of those who try to inject scientificly verified facts like dinosaurs into their biblical version of events to try and give themselves a shred of scientific credibility. I'm sorry, but the dinosaurs predate the garden of eden, Adam and Eve didn't ride on a T-Rex.

In this case, they are one and the same.

http://creationmuseum.org/whats-here/exhibits/

Scary.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was asking nab a question because it appears as though she said she believes the noah's ark story really happened (unless I misunderstood her post)

Did you hear about the fella who thought his day trading would make him rich? Now there's some stupid fiction.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The bible was written by persecuted people. The Romans were somewhat tolerant, but the writers and their communities were concerned they would be integrated into Roman society and their teachings would be lost. They wrote the bible as a series of allegory, to teach their messages in a way that the Romans would not detect it. For example, I can't logically wrap my mind around how people can believe the earth is ~6000 years old when there is physical proof of otherwise. The number of ~6000 is taken directly from the bible from a list of patriarchs - the name escapes me at the moment. Sure, these people may have truly lived, but how is it logical to base one's entire existence on something written over a huge amount of time, by many different people. There are vast inconsistencies in the book as well, i.e. how many animals got on the ark 3x3, or 2x2. Humans wrote it, there are mistakes, and it was not meant to be used as literal teachings :innocent:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Timeline

The bible was written by persecuted people. The Romans were somewhat tolerant, but the writers and their communities were concerned they would be integrated into Roman society and their teachings would be lost. They wrote the bible as a series of allegory, to teach their messages in a way that the Romans would not detect it. For example, I can't logically wrap my mind around how people can believe the earth is ~6000 years old when there is physical proof of otherwise. The number of ~6000 is taken directly from the bible from a list of patriarchs - the name escapes me at the moment. Sure, these people may have truly lived, but how is it logical to base one's entire existence on something written over a huge amount of time, by many different people. There are vast inconsistencies in the book as well, i.e. how many animals got on the ark 3x3, or 2x2. Humans wrote it, there are mistakes, and it was not meant to be used as literal teachings :innocent:

The concept of story telling that is purely factual is a recent phenomenon (within the last couple of centuries). The ancient Hebrews were no exception. Modern science and the scientific process of gathering data and evidence hadn't yet existed. Fiction is a far better method to demonstrate truths, which are different from mere facts. When people approach the Book of Genesis and other books of the Bible as literature, rather than a factually historical account of things, they can experience the beauty and the truth that is there. Every religion is based on myth (clues to the spiritual potentialities of the human experience).

Timeline

The concept of story telling that is purely factual is a recent phenomenon (within the last couple of centuries). The ancient Hebrews were no exception. Modern science and the scientific process of gathering data and evidence hadn't yet existed. Fiction is a far better method to demonstrate truths, which are different from mere facts. When people approach the Book of Genesis and other books of the Bible as literature, rather than a factually historical account of things, they can experience the beauty and the truth that is there. Every religion is based on myth (clues to the spiritual potentialities of the human experience).

Very true. Take Zeus as an example. In his wrath he would pelt lightning down at the earth. You don't hear of many people believing in him anymore (although I'm sure some still do) because we now know why lightning really does happen. It's not a judgement against anyone for being stupid. Being ignorant is completely different, and does not have to be treated negatively. It's just that when people didn't have a better way to understand the world around them, they coped as well as they could - nothing wrong with that. The latest episode of House touched on this actually :lol: Allegory is beautiful, and is still around today :star:

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The latest episode of House touched on this actually

Loved this exchange:

Crucifix Guy: Faith is not a disease.

House: No, of course not. On the other hand, it is communicable, and it kills a lot of people.

Oh, and also when he said that he used to believe in God...until he grew his curly hairs. :lol::innocent:

Edited by Jenn!

Timeline

Very true. Take Zeus as an example. In his wrath he would pelt lightning down at the earth. You don't hear of many people believing in him anymore (although I'm sure some still do) because we now know why lightning really does happen. It's not a judgement against anyone for being stupid. Being ignorant is completely different, and does not have to be treated negatively. It's just that when people didn't have a better way to understand the world around them, they coped as well as they could - nothing wrong with that. The latest episode of House touched on this actually :lol: Allegory is beautiful, and is still around today :star:

Yeah, I don't believe that science invalidates the Bible nor is it in anyway, in contradiction with those spiritual truths, which transcend the material world.

Timeline

Yeah, I don't believe that science invalidates the Bible nor is it in anyway, in contradiction with those spiritual truths, which transcend the material world.

Oh, see here I disagree. Ancient Jewish laws forbid men to have sex with their wives while on their periods, sit on the same furniture, touch them in any way etc. Keeping women subordinate was wildly popular in those good ol' days. We all know full well you won't harm yourself by having sex with a menstruating woman. Although sure it might LOOK unpleasant sometimes, it's not going to defile your soul or body. I think science does have some basis in overturning some biblical "truths" such as that one, but as hard as this is for me to say: let people still believe what they want no matter how vehemently you disagree. I do believe in something more than just Almighty Man, but I don't call it God/Allah, etc. The word god leaves a bad taste in my mouth because of how many people have used and abused it, and continue to do so. I believe in the ego, nature, and the traits we still posses from our days of walking out of Africa. We are STILL animals, and the battle of one's lifetime is to discover the fine balance of being a mammal, and being a wise ** sapiens sapiens in a very confusing world. I'm not about to flagellate myself to conquer my physical body or live some asceitc life, but I choose to embrace my nature, and train it to make myself into a stand up gal who is sure of herself in the world.

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Science, you're doing it wrong Steven.

I was asking nab a question because it appears as though she said she believes the noah's ark story really happened (unless I misunderstood her post)

It's called faith.

Some people do make money doing it. It takes years of trading experience to do it right though, from what I hear.

some people do make very good money at it and it does not take years of XP, though it does take a lot of research, patience, and nerves of steel at times..

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Whatever floats your boat! As long as they use money donated willingly and not cofiscated from my paycheck...who cares?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla