nattrav

affidavit of support - needed at interview for k1 visa?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

hi

sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before - i know there are a number affidavit related questions here and i have read all i can about it, BUT, i found (somewhere online - i'm not sure where now, but somewhere that seemed like it knew what it was talking about) this -

"Affidavit of Support For Fiancé(e), Spouse, or Child as a “K” Nonimmigrant

If your relative is either a “K-1” fiancé(e), a “K-3” spouse, or a “K-2” or “K-4” child of fiancé(e) or spouse, you do not need to submit an affidavit of support at the time you file your Form I-129F petition. Instead, you should submit an affidavit of support at the time that your fiancé(e), spouse, or child adjusts status to permanent resident after coming to the United States."

i am wondering if anyone has experienced the interview at an embassy - london in particular as that's where i'll interview - and NOT been asked for their petitioner's affidavit of support?

i have many documents about my financial status, letters form bank , accountant, broker which shows i can suport myself whilst waiting for change of status after marriage and my fiance is getting his together to send to me, but now i wonder if it's required for the INTERVIEW, or if we can present them only at the time of CHANGE OF STATUS??

any info would be much appreciated

thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Take a look at this page from the London Embassy website about the Public Charge Provisions >> http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

They will ask for the I-134 at the interview. They will most likely not approve your visa without it. They need to see you can be supported before they let you in on the K-1 visa. You will also have to file the official I-864 Affadavit of Support when you adjust status.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

Take a look at this page from the London Embassy website about the Public Charge Provisions >> http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

cool - thanks - that is what i thought, but when i found conflicting info i thought i'd check in case it was correct - i have read so much about so many aspects of the visa that it is just a jumble in my head...

appreciate your help :)

They will ask for the I-134 at the interview. They will most likely not approve your visa without it. They need to see you can be supported before they let you in on the K-1 visa. You will also have to file the official I-864 Affadavit of Support when you adjust status.

ok, thanks - i figured as much, but thought i'd ask just in case

ta!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

cool - thanks - that is what i thought, but when i found conflicting info i thought i'd check in case it was correct - i have read so much about so many aspects of the visa that it is just a jumble in my head...

appreciate your help :)

ok, thanks - i figured as much, but thought i'd ask just in case

ta!

The conflict comes from two things. One, USCIS has nothing to do with VISA issuance so nothing they say relative to their purpose in the K-1 process has anything to do with consulates.

Most consulates DO NOT require an "affidavit of support" meaning an I-134 or I-864 but DO require that you prove that your fiancee will not become a public charge. The I-134 affadavit of support is a handy way to meet your obligation BUT the form is not required per se.

DO NOT go into a K-1 interview without the ability to prove you can support your fiance(e)

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

DO NOT go into a K-1 interview without the ability to prove you can support your fiance(e)

That sentence alone is VERY important. If you were to arrive unprepared to meet this burden, you WILL be delayed. Happy filing.

Be Sober, Be Vigilant!

Timeline

The conflict comes from two things. One, USCIS has nothing to do with VISA issuance so nothing they say relative to their purpose in the K-1 process has anything to do with consulates.

Most consulates DO NOT require an "affidavit of support" meaning an I-134 or I-864 but DO require that you prove that your fiancee will not become a public charge. The I-134 affadavit of support is a handy way to meet your obligation BUT the form is not required per se.

yes, absolutely, no way am i going to the interview without EVERYTHING!!!

I have lots of proof that i can support myself ready, and now it is my fiance's turn to get all his stuff ready to prove he can support me, as he's the applicant

I wanted to know if the form itself was required, as we've been living / working together abroad for the last 5 years, so he doesn't have tax returns etc from the USA and have been trying to figure out how to prove his ability to support me, without the 'normal' things most people have!

we've applied for the w2 form which seems to be the form you complete if you dont have tax returns, but i've read that at least one year of tax returns is obligatory, so not sure where to go from here - i dread the thought of being in the interview and they say 'no' to a form or document and then i dont get the 'pink slip'

any info from those who've not been in the USA form the last few years before their application would be much appreciated - he's been in the us, in ca for 5 months now, working, but other than that, his last employment in the US was at college, about 6 years ago!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.