^_^

Should TSA Body Scanners Distort Naked Images?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientist says he has a simple fix for the uproar over the Transportation Safety Agency's body scanners. Distort the image, Willard Wattenburg argues, and you take away (at least some of) the privacy objections that could be made. In Wattenburg's formulation ... bodies would be stretched as in a funhouse mirror, presumably removing any titillation associated with nudity.

Wattenburg first filed a patent for his system in 2006, after which he says he contacted the Department of Homeland Security because it was obvious to him that as soon as the scanners went into use, people would "scream like hell because they're taking the clothes off everybody" The DHS wasn't interested.

Technologically, image processing to distort a body's form is trivial. You take the image that comes in from the scanner, pick some reference points on the body, and then elongate, resize, and stretch the image. The images come out looking less human very quickly -- and that's precisely the point. As Wattenburg notes, any kid with Photoshop could do it. We took him at his word and mocked up -- in rough fashion -- what one of the images could look like after going through one of these distortion algorithms.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/11/should-tsa-body-scanners-distort-naked-images/66877/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

TSA body scanners should be eliminated. Completely.

Yup.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

The TSA should be eliminated, completely.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Agreed. People should be able to choose the airline that they believe provides the best

practical balance of security and convenience.

For example, I boycott all Israeli airlines (El-Al and friends) to avoid the security rigmarole

they put you through. I'd rather take my chances with a terrorist on board.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Here, here!

I want to see the nude scans of all the hot chicks that are flying.

They should make the scans public record with a live stream. Hell, they could even charge a membership fee and then all those pervs could pay for the screening for us and airfare would go down again. Win-win!

Agreed. People should be able to choose the airline that they believe provides the best

practical balance of security and convenience.

For example, I boycott all Israeli airlines (El-Al and friends) to avoid the security rigmarole

they put you through. I'd rather take my chances with a terrorist on board.

Are you suggesting we add an element of capitalism into the airline industry? NO WAY!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

As if an airline that didn't have much security can't be the vector for the delivery of bioweapons over an American city.

Do you need to hijack a commercial airliner to deliver bioweapons? Won't a Cessna work just as well?

Besides, bioweapons don't work. Aum Shinrikyo had unlimited resources - millions of dollars,

bioweapons labs and PhD scientists at their disposal, actively trying to make a bioweapon for years

and still produced squat. You really think towelheads can do better?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

As if an airline that didn't have much security can't be the vector for the delivery of bioweapons over an American city.

What I find ironic is we're concentrating on making people feel safer at the airport when the real "in the air" danger comes from cropdusters or any other small plane that has ZERO security checks. Did anyone watch the Redskins game last week? What were there, like 70,000 people there?

Even a tiny venue like the NASCAR race at Bristol, TN, would be catastrophic with commercially-available industrial chemicals released in the air. Factor in the resulting stampede as well and you've got 9/11 X 911.

In all seriousness I've avoided large crowds for quite a while. Not because I'm scared of the terrorists, but because people are too stupid to effectively unass the area in the event of catastrophe. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Folks if you take a look at the real "threats" out there you'll realize terrorism - even at the big airports - is so miniscule it'll NEVER effect your life unless you want it too. (Sept. 11th security fee, anyone?) When we're willing to drive our cars, literally, inches from oncoming traffic, we have nothing to worry about from terrorists.

Live your life and stop letting the govt. lie to you.

towelheads

Who?

Besides, bioweapons don't work. Aum Shinrikyo...

.... produced squat.

That's because they did it all wrong.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I'm not sure we'd be all that worse off with fewer NASCAR fans running around and procreating.

Then why'd we get all upset about a few New Yorkers?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Who?

Ayrabs.

That's because they did it all wrong.

They successfully released a chemical weapon (Sarin gas) in a coordinated attack on five trains in the Tokyo subway system.

Their biological weapons program was a waste of time and money.