sara2010

My employer did not pay my Taxes to the IRS

66 posts in this topic

Hello

After working one year now I found out that my employer doesn't deduct any tax from my paychecks. I know Consulate need two year tax return from me. I do not know what to do.

were you working under the table?

did you keep track how much you were paid?

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

uhm, the employer deducts taxes based on the filing status you claim on your W-4, but that really has nothing to do with a tax return?

at the end of the year you get a W-2 and you use that to FILE YOUR TAXES WITH THE IRS, that is YOUR responsibility, no one elses. if you didn't file taxes then that is your own fault. you can still file them after the fact, but you will be charged fees for filing late. you need your W-2 forms from your employer to do that.

and not sure on this part, but i believe the consulate also will look at employer statements, pay stubs and a yearly statement from your bank? (not sure if this in instead of the tax returns or in addition to them?)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What type of job do you have? Are you paid by check or cash? Did you complete the form W4 when you began your employment?

As others have stated, it is not your employer's responsibility for filing your tax returns.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Were you employed in 2009? If so, you should have filed a 209 tax return by April 15th of this year. If you have only been working in this year then you will file your 2010 tax return by April 15 of 2011.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

What type of job do you have? Are you paid by check or cash? Did you complete the form W4 when you began your employment?

As others have stated, it is not your employer's responsibility for filing your tax returns.

I worked in a coffee shop. He paid me from his personal checks.So I kept a copy from each check. I also did not complete form W4.

Filed: Timeline

Were you employed in 2009? If so, you should have filed a 209 tax return by April 15th of this year. If you have only been working in this year then you will file your 2010 tax return by April 15 of 2011.

I only worked this year. should I file 209 tax return in Feb. or April. What if the interview is around March?

I kept one copy of all my paychecks.

set aside about 15% of the total (guesstimate) and plan on filing tax return. you should receive a w-2 by mid-Feb 2011 for tax year 2010 and if you dont receive, call IRS.

even if you do not receive, still file and pay your taxes.

as for last year, you say you've worked for a year so that would only be approx a month. file a tax return for last year now ASAP.

since you've only worked a year you may not owe anything for 2009 (were you unemployed previous to nov 2009? or had another job? this will affect)

just for the record it sounds like he is paying you 'under the table which is illegal. as long as YOU are paying your taxes it's his behind but you may lose your job. just so you know.

he is avoiding paying taxes on you.

Edited by nab

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Timeline

I worked in a coffee shop. He paid me from his personal checks.So I kept a copy from each check. I also did not complete form W4.

The personal checks are not normal if you are an hourly or salaried employee.

You've got a couple of different issues here. As far as USCIS is concerned you need to prove your income for the I-134. Outside of immigration you and/or your employer have an IRS reporting issue.

If your employer is hoping to just issue you a 1099 and claim that you are an independent contractor that may or may not be proper. It will effect how you file your taxes. Best to get a tax preparer or accountant to give you advice.

For the I-134 you will use what you have. Copies of checks and a (likely) 1099 from your employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
personal checks? so no mention of how many hours or what your hourly rate?

anyone know how uscis feels about under the table jobs?

If the OP earnt enough to fulfil the requirement of $18,212 to support his fiancee, then the OP should have filed taxes.

OP - you will HAVE to file taxes if you want your income recognised in order to sponsor your fiancee (and it's the last THREE years, not two), otherwise you will not be able to use this income. The problem then remains, how does the IRS feel about "under the table" working? I don't think they look very favourably on it, especially as your employer is probably a tax evader if they're not taking tax out of your pay (and issuing you W2's).

I think you need to locate a co-sponsor. Depending on your consulate you may not be permitted a co-sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

set aside about 15% of the total (guesstimate) and plan on filing tax return. you should receive a w-2 by mid-Feb 2011 for tax year 2010 and if you dont call IRS

even if you do not still file, and pay, your taxes.

as for last year, you say you've worked for a year so that would only be approx a month. file a tax return for last year now ASAP.

since you've only worked a year you may not owe anything for 2009 (were you unemployed previous to nov 2009? or had another job? this will affect)

if he's paying her by personal check and she didn't fill out a W4 then i'm guessing she'll have no W2. she will have to file and just declare her earnings with the copies of the checks as proof if they ask i guess?

and there's a good chance he isn't paying into social security as well sara.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.