BigJohn

Helping your filipina adjust to life in the US/not get too homesick

22 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions on how to keep my spouse from getting too homesick from the US. She'll be able to webcam chat with family and I'll be trying to help her find some filipino style foods, but what else?

What are good ways for her to find/meet other filipinas in our area?

My main concern is her getting homesick. She says she won't, but she's never lived away from family, much less outside the philippines, so I'm not believing that :) I've lived away from where I consider home quite a bit including in the philippines and I know how it is.

07-28-2009 : Met online

10-14-2009 : Met for the first time in Cebu, had to go back 11-1-2009

01-14-2010 : Moved to Cebu

02-25-2010 : Married

10-14-2010 : DCF I-130 at Manila Embassy

10-21-2010 : Additional requested supporting evidence received at embassy

11-05-2010 : I-130 application approved

11-11-2010 : Received Packet 3 via Fed Ex with MNL Case #

11-18-2010 : Packet 3 (DS-230 and Interview request) received at embassy

11-22-2010 : Calling to try and get an interview date set!

12-16-2010 : Medical completed in Manila at St. Lukes

12-17-2010 : Flying back to the US to prepare for Maricel's arrival

01-12-2011 : Interview Set

01-12-2011 : APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-20-2011 : Receive Visa

01-25-2011 : CFO Seminar completed - ready to go!

02-12-2011 : Leave Manila

02-13-2011 : POE at Houston, TX

Filed: Country:
Timeline

1) TV, get GMA TFC etc for her to be able to watch.

2) Contact with family, make sure she can easily contact her family back home often.

3) Access to local resources.

---a) Find the local Filipino Community, local Catholic Church is a good way to do this if you don't havea local Filipino store. Find the one that has a monthly Filipino service.

---b) Help her get her driver's license or teach her how to use the local transit. They are used to being fairly mobile back home so living in suburban america without driving will get problematic.

---c) Filipino/Asian store so she can cook the food she's loved her whole life.

4) Find a local Asian Restaurant that she likes, try several and let her pick her favorites.

5) Get a rice cooker and other things that will help her cook they way she wants.

My wife says 3b was probably the biggest help then 4.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

2) Contact with family, make sure she can easily contact her family back home often.

---a) Find the local Filipino Community, local Catholic Church is a good way to do this if you don't havea local Filipino store. Find the one that has a monthly Filipino service.

---b) Help her get her driver's license or teach her how to use the local transit. They are used to being fairly mobile back home so living in suburban america without driving will get problematic.

4) Find a local Asian Restaurant that she likes, try several and let her pick her favorites.

5) Get a rice cooker and other things that will help her cook they way she wants.

3c really helped my wife. We are lucky that there are 2 (1 asian and 1 filipino) stores close by where she can get her spices, sauces etc. The stores also have phone cards (5$ for 42 min) which she enjoys. Man-o-man the size of our Jasmine rice bill each month!

not being able to move around on ur own is very frustrating :wacko: (esp if u came fr mobile to immobile situation ) ...help her get around ur place on her own if you will be busy at work on a daily basis .... being able to decide to get off on her foot ...explore the new environment is one way to accomodate and help her adapt, discover and learn. :star:

K1 Visa

01-31-2009 I-129F to USCIS-CSC

02-19-2009 NOA1

03-24-2009 NOA2

06-21-2009 Medical(The Polyclinic, Dubai UAE)

06-28-2009 Interview @ USE AD (approved)

07-01-2009 Visa ready for pick up @ USE AD

07-07-2009 went to pick up my visa (ready 2 fly)

=

09-11-2009 POE-SFO(no questions asked,just a reminder 2 get marry within 90 days)

=

09-28-2009 applied for SSN at Sac., Ca(no hassle)

10-05-2009 received SSN card on mail

11-04-2009 applied for marriage license @ Sacramento County, Ca

11-18-2009 married (marriage certificate on hand-same day)

11-25-2009 I-693 signed by CS(MMR-$70, Vericella-$70, I-693 Form- $15)

=

12-23-2009 mailed AOS to USCIS, Chicago Lockbox (FedEx)

12-28-2009 recvd by USCIS

01-04-2010 check cashed by USCIS

01-08-2010 received NOA1 (I-797C) for I-485, I-765 and I-131

01-11-2010 recvd ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics

01-25-2010 Biometrics Appointment- West Sac, CA

**alls well @ Biometrics-less than 20 mins.

03-04-2010 recvd notice for AOS interview date

03-04-2010 EAD card production ordered (online notice)

03-08-2010 AP (I-512L) approved-recvd in mail (dated 3/2/10)

03-11-2010 EAD recvd on mail

04-06-2010 AOS interview, APPROVED! Bye USCIS til 2012- Sac, CA

04-15-2010 GC Welcome letter received fr mail

04-16-2010 GC recvd on the mail (Yiihaa!!!)

=

03-08-2012 ROC I-751 mailed to CSC via USPS Priority Mail

03-12-2012 ROC recvd by CSC

03-12-2012 NOA1 (revd on mail 03/19/12)

03-15-2012 ROC check cashed

"Thank you to God and to VJ"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Looking for suggestions on how to keep my spouse from getting too homesick from the US. She'll be able to webcam chat with family and I'll be trying to help her find some filipino style foods, but what else?

What are good ways for her to find/meet other filipinas in our area?

My main concern is her getting homesick. She says she won't, but she's never lived away from family, much less outside the philippines, so I'm not believing that :) I've lived away from where I consider home quite a bit including in the philippines and I know how it is.

Sometimes it came to my mind that my husband got a bargain 'coz he doesn't need to do this stuff for me so I will not get homesick. LoL. But I really didn't get homesick. I got a lot of stuff to do to make myself busy before I started working.

Anyway, how about you teach her to drive(if she doesn't know how to drive) so when she knows how to drive, she could go anywhere and do errands for your household. It will probably helps her find job if she wanted to work. And then, let her do experiments in cooking. For almost more than a year that I was home most of the time, I made my own cooking book. Get her a new pet, where she could train. My husband got me a cute hard-headed beagle, took so much of my time to teach her some tricks.

Probably, ask her what hobbies she likes to do. If she likes craft, probably buy her kit.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Timeline

---a) Find the local Filipino Community, local Catholic Church is a good way to do this if you don't have local Filipino store. Find the one that has a monthly Filipino service.

5) Get a rice cooker and other things that will help her cook they way she wants

my husband did 2,3,4 & 5(no # 1 coz we have other priorities than having that!!..lol)...I really appreciated all the things he did...even if we are still on our AOS now, I don't get bored nor regret that I'm here..I'm starting to have hobbies(cooking,planting, painting,helping him with his work, etc.)specially that I don't have work as of now...and my husband loves me and also finds time to spend quality time with me despite his busy work...sometimes, it's more important that our partner spends time with us and enjoy married life than "him providing everything and having all of those but he isn't giving any time & care at all"..in his own ways and how he treats me, my husband makes me feel loved and cared in our home that's why I don't feel bored at all..sometimes I would miss home(pretty normal :P ), my work before(I'm a teacher..always in school..) but my husband would always reach me out and help me get through with it..Marriage is about loving,learning, being open-minded,helping one another, accepting your partner(even her :devil: attitude..lol) and appreciating each other so that you will have a long lasting happy life..it's a roller-coaster imperfect world..hahaha..want a cup of coffee??..hehehe

:ot2: btw,(caution:.. :) ), about finding other fellow Filipinos(or even other nationalities to befriend) within your community ..just make sure they are of good influence and good people or else you will just regret that your wife will be with the wrong people and might cause problems to your relationship...God bless us all in every journey we will take!!!.. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2009-23-09 -became a couple(was so happy:)

2010-21-03 -visited Philippines(spent wonderful times together)

2010=27-03 -engaged(Yes!!)

2010-09-04 -went back to US :(

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

2010-04-05 -Received NOA1

2010-12-07 -NOA2 approved

2010-18-07 -Received NOA2 hardcopy

2010-26-07 -US Embassy(Manila) received our petition!!..(yahoo!!)

2010-04-08 -HAPPY BDAY MATT!!

2010-18-08 -Medical Exam-PASSED!!..God is so good!!

2010-26-08 -Interview @ USEmbassy- APPROVED( Thank you Lord!)

2010-03-09 -Got my Visa in Hand!!..Yepey..Thank God!!..

2010-17-09 -POE:SFO,CA

2010-23-10 -Wedding @ Springfield, MO

* AOS Journey

2010-07-12 -Filed for AOS & EAD(USPS Express Mail)

2010-08-12 -USCIS received the package

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

2011-19-01 -Received Biometrics schedule!!

2011-07-02 -Biometrics done!!..thanked God!!

2011-17-03 -AOS Interview..APPROVED!!

2011-24-03 -GREENCARD received!!..it's green indeed!!..lol..

I would also like to add the following

6) teach her to split firewood

7) teach her how to stack that firewood

8) if you live in a northern state she can also learn how much fun shoveling the driveway is :star:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

she will be sooooooo tired that she has little or no time for homesickness

he he he he

piglett

06/05/2010 wedding Cajidiocan, Philippines

11/17/2010 I-130 packet sent

11/23/2010 petition has been received and routed to the Vermont

Service Center for processing!!!

11/27/2010 NOA1 recieved by mail

04/23/2011 NOA2 recieved by mail....what a slow process : (

07/22/2011 AOS fee sent in also choice of address & agent form sent

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

02/28/2012 medical done ONE DAY !!!

03/14/2012 VISA APPROVED : )))

MY PICTURES http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We moved from Southern California, where there's over a million Filipinos, to the relatively small town of Flagstaff, Arizona where we didn't think we'd meet any Filipinos. Then after a few months, during Mass when visitors are asked to raise their hands, we heard someone was visiting from the Philippines. So we came over to them after Mass and from there, we've since been invited to two different Filipino get-togethers.

So I would say if you take your wife to Mass, she's bound to run into some other Filipinos. Frequenting Asian food markets is also a good place. And buffet restaurants :lol: ....you are almost guaranteed to run into a Filipino there. We just ran into some Filipinos while at the mall, as we were ordering Japanese grill.

Having other Filipinos for support is the most important thing to help her adjust and not feel so homesick.

Timeline

It depends where you live in the US, and if she lived away from her family, which it seems that she did not. The biggest thing, is to keep her from being bored at home, when you work. My wife was lucky that she was in Hawaii, but her biggest problem was waiting to adjust her status.

Timeline

I would also like to add the following

6) teach her to split firewood

7) teach her how to stack that firewood

lirawood2.jpg

lirawood4.jpg

She's definitely not bored. Drives stick-shift vehicles, snowmachines, four-wheelers, bobcat, 'dozer too.

I would second the caution about making "friends" with other Filipinos. Make friends on the basis of character, not their nationality.

Mine never got homesick despite being the most family-centric person I have ever met. She does webchat, email, facebook, and phone when the internet is down at the cabin.

I think the main thing is to set goals and plan together. People get depressed when they drift around aimlessly. You do all this work to get her here and suddenly it's over. So the license, education or work, cultivating skills - every day has purpose when you set some goals.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

This might sound harsh but tell her to suck it up and man up. She needs to assimilate if she is really to going to enjoy it here. If her heart is truely stuck in PI, thats where she needs to be.

Get her out of the house by donating her time at a Goodwill, soup kitchen or something. So she gets to interact with people and learn things about normal folks here.

But also buy a Zojirushi rice cooker :lol:

You'll use it everyday. If you have 2 people, buy a 3-5 cup model.

lirawood2.jpg

lirawood4.jpg

She's definitely not bored. Drives stick-shift vehicles, snowmachines, four-wheelers, bobcat, 'dozer too.

I think the main thing is to set goals and plan together. People get depressed when they drift around aimlessly. You do all this work to get her here and suddenly it's over. So the license, education or work, cultivating skills - every day has purpose when you set some goals.

wow she is a real worker !!! that is a big pile of wood. I only put up about 5 cord here in New Hampshire.

once my wife arrives that may become 6 cord or more. how has your wife been in the cold? mine thinks 70f is cold :rofl:

i'll start my wife out driving the lawn tractor & the put her on my old 40 horse farmall.

after that i guess it will be the old corolla that i have. & if she can drive all of those i'll see how she does on one of my old toyota pickups, they are tough as nails so i'm not worried about her hurting them.

I take one to the scrap yard once a month with about 2500lbs of brake rotors piled up in the bed, I would haul more but i don't want to overload the old thing :D

piglett

PS: does your wife still wear flip flops in Alaska?

mine thinks she will wear them here but i think most of the time it will be too cold for those.

she has about 30 pair of them :whistle:

06/05/2010 wedding Cajidiocan, Philippines

11/17/2010 I-130 packet sent

11/23/2010 petition has been received and routed to the Vermont

Service Center for processing!!!

11/27/2010 NOA1 recieved by mail

04/23/2011 NOA2 recieved by mail....what a slow process : (

07/22/2011 AOS fee sent in also choice of address & agent form sent

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

02/28/2012 medical done ONE DAY !!!

03/14/2012 VISA APPROVED : )))

MY PICTURES http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.