BigJohn

Helping your filipina adjust to life in the US/not get too homesick

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

wow she is a real worker !!! that is a big pile of wood. I only put up about 5 cord here in New Hampshire.

That's about half of one pile (spruce). There's another pile of birch by the door.

Twelve cords total if I work a lot in the shop through the winter and use the hot tub often. Cabin, Shop, and outdoor hot tub all have wood heat. At fifty or sixty below zero we fly through wood.

how has your wife been in the cold? mine thinks 70f is cold

She's more of a man than most men, and a hottie to boot. I bought her an expedition weight polar outfit from Apocalypse design for a thousand dollars. It's what the dog mushers wear for races like the Yukon Quest and Iditarod. Bunny boots of course.

She's never cold because she's sensible. We've broken down on the snow machine trail seven miles from the cabin and had to walk back at thirty below zero at night. No problem. She was eight months pregnant.

i'll start my wife out driving the lawn tractor & the put her on my old 40 horse farmall.

after that i guess it will be the old corolla that i have. & if she can drive all of those i'll see how she does on one of my old toyota pickups, they are tough as nails so i'm not worried about her hurting them.

I take one to the scrap yard once a month with about 2500lbs of brake rotors piled up in the bed, I would haul more but i don't want to overload the old thing :D

The only thing I haven't had her drive is the 55,000 lb dump truck. It's 15 gears and you have to be really on top of it.

I don't let her too close to the cabin with the 'dozer.

I love my Filipina.

PS: does your wife still wear flip flops in Alaska?

mine thinks she will wear them here but i think most of the time it will be too cold for those.

she has about 30 pair of them

Hahahaha! I had to watch her the first summer. Look what she's wearing in that picture! I bought her steel-toed hiking boots. Ten miles out in the wilderness on the four-wheeler. Jump off to do some off-trail hiking in some really gnarly stuff. What's she wearing? Flip flops!

That's about half of one pile (spruce). There's another pile of birch by the door.

Twelve cords total if I work a lot in the shop through the winter and use the hot tub often. Cabin, Shop, and outdoor hot tub all have wood heat. At fifty or sixty below zero we fly through wood.

She's more of a man than most men, and a hottie to boot. I bought her an expedition weight polar outfit from Apocalypse design for a thousand dollars. It's what the dog mushers wear for races like the Yukon Quest and Iditarod. Bunny boots of course.

She's never cold because she's sensible. We've broken down on the snow machine trail seven miles from the cabin and had to walk back at thirty below zero at night. No problem. She was eight months pregnant.

The only thing I haven't had her drive is the 55,000 lb dump truck. It's 15 gears and you have to be really on top of it.

I don't let her too close to the cabin with the 'dozer.

I love my Filipina.

Hahahaha! I had to watch her the first summer. Look what she's wearing in that picture! I bought her steel-toed hiking boots. Ten miles out in the wilderness on the four-wheeler. Jump off to do some off-trail hiking in some really gnarly stuff. What's she wearing? Flip flops!

he he he is there anything that she really doesn't like?

to do or to eat or whatever.

I used to run coast to coast for the military when i had my freightliner FLD

it only had 10 forward gears but ya you really have to know what your doing.

my wife wants to grow a bunch of stuff (vegtables i guess)

i'll get a rear tiller for my tractor & let her plant whatever she wants :innocent:

she is really a homebody so i'll have to find lots of things for her to do/help me with.

piglett

PS: does your wife always lug wood while wearing a dress?? :rofl:

06/05/2010 wedding Cajidiocan, Philippines

11/17/2010 I-130 packet sent

11/23/2010 petition has been received and routed to the Vermont

Service Center for processing!!!

11/27/2010 NOA1 recieved by mail

04/23/2011 NOA2 recieved by mail....what a slow process : (

07/22/2011 AOS fee sent in also choice of address & agent form sent

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

02/28/2012 medical done ONE DAY !!!

03/14/2012 VISA APPROVED : )))

MY PICTURES http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Make friends on the basis of character, not their nationality.

+1000 -- couldn't agree with ya more!

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

he he he is there anything that she really doesn't like?

to do or to eat or whatever.

You know, we just like to be together 100% of the time - that's the main thing.

She likes american food and I've always liked filipino food so no problems there.

I used to run coast to coast for the military when i had my freightliner FLD

it only had 10 forward gears but ya you really have to know what your doing.

Yea, you have to know the sweet spots on the rpm going up or down.

my wife wants to grow a bunch of stuff (vegtables i guess)

i'll get a rear tiller for my tractor & let her plant whatever she wants

Yes yes! Funny thing, the Filipinas in my wife's circly hardly eat any vegetables at all. But I garden and show her how.

she is really a homebody so i'll have to find lots of things for her to do/help me with.

Then I think your life will be WONDERFUL.

PS: does your wife always lug wood while wearing a dress?

No, she wears her nightie too.

This is her climbing into the tree fort about a mile from the cabin, and a stiff hike up a steep hill:

100_1285.JPG

What am I going to do? Kick a hottie out of my moose stand for wearing a nightie?

No, she wears her nightie too.

This is her climbing into the tree fort about a mile from the cabin, and a stiff hike up a steep hill:

100_1285.JPG

What am I going to do? Kick a hottie out of my moose stand for wearing a nightie?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

06/05/2010 wedding Cajidiocan, Philippines

11/17/2010 I-130 packet sent

11/23/2010 petition has been received and routed to the Vermont

Service Center for processing!!!

11/27/2010 NOA1 recieved by mail

04/23/2011 NOA2 recieved by mail....what a slow process : (

07/22/2011 AOS fee sent in also choice of address & agent form sent

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

02/28/2012 medical done ONE DAY !!!

03/14/2012 VISA APPROVED : )))

MY PICTURES http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Timeline

Getting her a license/car is huge..

We just got a 2nd car and it's been the best thing we ever did.. She doesn't even drive it that much, but it's there when she wants to go out.

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
28-Sep-2010 Mailed AOS packet via Express Mail
29-Sep-2010 Received @ Chicago Lockbox
18-Oct-2010 Received 797C NOA for Biometrics appointment
22-Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment (orig sched for 10/28)
29-Oct 2010 RFE (missing signature)
03-Nov Received RFE @ Chicago Lockbox
17-Nov Case transferred to California
24-Nov "Touched" Now being processed at USCIS office
30-Nov "Touched again"
03-Dec May calls Senator Joe Courtney's office for help getting EAD/AP approved
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
16-Dec EAD Approved (SMS/E-mail) USCIS indicates it was approved yesterday?
18-Dec EAD Card arrived in mail
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

31-May 2013 10yr GC approved

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would second the caution about making "friends" with other Filipinos. Make friends on the basis of character, not their nationality.

Making social connections based on cultural background, especially for someone who is trying to adjust to a different culture is tremendously beneficial. That doesn't mean they are going to become close friends with those other Filipinos, but it provides a social network of support that they came to rely on back home in the Philippines. Culturally, Filipinos are outgoing and friendly. For some Americans, especially those who tend to be reclusive or introverted, such openness to social connections can seem threatening or intimidating.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.