Churchland

Name change on SS card before AOS?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We got my wife a SSN right after entering the US, then got married. Can we go ahead and apply for AOS, then update SS card later?

TIA

Yes.. You can even file the AOS without providing the SSN.

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
28-Sep-2010 Mailed AOS packet via Express Mail
29-Sep-2010 Received @ Chicago Lockbox
18-Oct-2010 Received 797C NOA for Biometrics appointment
22-Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment (orig sched for 10/28)
29-Oct 2010 RFE (missing signature)
03-Nov Received RFE @ Chicago Lockbox
17-Nov Case transferred to California
24-Nov "Touched" Now being processed at USCIS office
30-Nov "Touched again"
03-Dec May calls Senator Joe Courtney's office for help getting EAD/AP approved
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
16-Dec EAD Approved (SMS/E-mail) USCIS indicates it was approved yesterday?
18-Dec EAD Card arrived in mail
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

31-May 2013 10yr GC approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
We got my wife a SSN right after entering the US, then got married. Can we go ahead and apply for AOS, then update SS card later?

Yes. Mine still has my maiden name.. will change it when I get the chance but so far no issues.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

TIA

A SSN is not required for AOS, just your A-number and the number from your I-94. You should fill out all AOS forms in the name that you plan to use. You won't be able to change your name on the SS card if it is between the 74-90 day range of her I-94. No big deal, you just change her name after you have the green card in hand. The mistake that some people make is to use their maiden name on their AOS and then want to change later....this will cost you a lot for a replacement card just for the name change. Good luck! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
A SSN is not required for AOS, just your A-number and the number from your I-94. You should fill out all AOS forms in the name that you plan to use. You won't be able to change your name on the SS card if it is between the 74-90 day range of her I-94. No big deal, you just change her name after you have the green card in hand. The mistake that some people make is to use their maiden name on their AOS and then want to change later....this will cost you a lot for a replacement card just for the name change. Good luck! :thumbs:

No. They can change the name on the SS card whenever they want. it's only APPLYING for the card that's limited.

Some offices might tell you you can't do i but iQuit is the guru here and can tell you how to "fix" that

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to " Working & Traveling During US Immigration" as this is relating to SSN **

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi, garfield529, what is A-number? Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

No. They can change the name on the SS card whenever they want. it's only APPLYING for the card that's limited.

Some offices might tell you you can't do i but iQuit is the guru here and can tell you how to "fix" that

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to " Working & Traveling During US Immigration" as this is relating to SSN **

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

-- Provide written notice, using Form SSA-L676, to explain that we cannot issue a replacement card because the applicant did not present appropriate authorization permitting him or her to work in the U.S. and has not provided evidence of a valid nonwork reason for an SSN.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi, garfield529, what is A-number? Thank you.

I have the information for A-number. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_find_your_alien_registration_number

I asked this question because it was asked in DS-230 and I-864 form. I put N/A there. When I saw your post, I was wondering if my understanding was correct when I filled in the forms. Thanks.

Edited by xiaozhu

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.