Maxx121

Travel to Canada on a K1?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This just popped into my mind as i wanted to take a trip when my fiance gets here. After reading a few posts here im now worried about leaving before our AOS is done, which is kinda crazy cause its a few hours drive.

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

do not do that,once you leave the country without your fiance's advance parole,its like visa suicide,youll have to go through another course of k-1 or cr-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A K-1 is not a travel visa. It is ONE TIME USE. She enters USA thats it. You must marry and apply for AOS and AP - AP will let you travel before getting the greencard.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

She'd need a visa to enter Canada too. If the trip to Canada is important to you guys, why not have her apply for a Canadian visitor visa and enter Canada first, then you guys can enter the US from there? I don't see why she won't be granted one...the Canadian Embassy will see she has a K1 visa and they will know she has no immigrant intent when she is in Canada. (just a suggestion)

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Timeline

It doesn't matter that it is only a few hours away, Canada is a whole different country. She'll need a visa because she is a PI citizen, as well as she'll need her green card OR her AP travel documents.

Traveling without will cancel her AOS and you'll have more headaches

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, its not such a big deal, will just wait till we do the AOS. Geez this is a good sight. I didnt even think of this till i read a similar thread here.

Thanks for the help

just to much stuff that we take for granted here in the US that we just dont think about. I mean i can hope on a plane and go just about anywhere on a whim, as long as i feel lke putting the cash out, that people in other countries have to jump through hoops for.

kinda messed up in a way.

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

Timeline

It's even worse if you're Canadian. You live your whole life being relatively free to cross the border at will. You visit your US honey as often as you can afford, with no problems at all. But once you cross the US border on that K-1, the door slams shut behind you, and you're stuck in here until you get an AP document or GC.

The US is an awfully big country, but it can feel awfully small when you can't leave it without badly screwing up your life.

It was a very liberating feeling when my AP documents finally showed up. I updated my facebook status thusly: "<HeatDeath> is no longer being held prisoner by the US government!" :D

But yeah, once she gets her AP document she'll be able to go to Canada, but she'll need a visitors visa from Canada, which takes 60-90 days to get. Her GC will almost certainly have shown up in the meantime.

Once she has her GC, she will no longer need a Canadian visa to enter Canada and the two of you can come and go as you please (normal requirements of maintaining a residence in the US, yada yada yada).

Best to wait until AOS is done and she has her GC before planning a trip to Canada. Once she gets her GC, you two are good to go. Once she gets her AP, you two can think about it, but she will still need the Canadian visa, and she absolutely must not leave the US to go anywhere, for any reason [not even back to the PI] , without AP docs or a GC in her hand.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.