chris4336

Please Help - Really Lost

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello, I posted awhile back regarding my fiancee who is from Algeria, but living illegally in Spain for the past 2 years. This morning we found out that he was turned down for the legal residency. As has been discussed in the past, my main concern is getting him the police certificates. The Spanish government, from what I have read online, will not give police certificates to people who are there illegally.

Even if he would go back to Algeria (which he does not want to do) we would still not be able to get the certificate from Spain.

I have spoken with a few lawyers who suggest to just try it and prepare to do some kind of waiver. I am student though, and really dont have the money to blow on a lawyer for something that is unlikely (him getting the visa without police certificate).

I would go over to Spain to be with him but #1 I just started medical school here, and #2 After 3 months we would both be illegals in Spain and that would not get us very far. I need to figure out a way to be with him in my life.

ANY help would be appreciated. Please respond or PM me.

Thanks,

Christina

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
Hello, I posted awhile back regarding my fiancee who is from Algeria, but living illegally in Spain for the past 2 years. This morning we found out that he was turned down for the legal residency. As has been discussed in the past, my main concern is getting him the police certificates. The Spanish government, from what I have read online, will not give police certificates to people who are there illegally.

Even if he would go back to Algeria (which he does not want to do) we would still not be able to get the certificate from Spain.

I have spoken with a few lawyers who suggest to just try it and prepare to do some kind of waiver. I am student though, and really dont have the money to blow on a lawyer for something that is unlikely (him getting the visa without police certificate).

I would go over to Spain to be with him but #1 I just started medical school here, and #2 After 3 months we would both be illegals in Spain and that would not get us very far. I need to figure out a way to be with him in my life.

Thanks,

Christina

That sucks. I really wish I could help you. Spain has severely cracked down on illegal immigration because of the influx of Moroccan and sub-saharan African illegals.

Why he doesn't go back to Algeria and never get a police report from Spain and never say he lived in this Country after all he doesn't exist to the Spanish society.

When he returns to Algeria he will have some kind of stamp on his passport that would show that he was outside of Algeria for some amount of time. I'm sure that would come up somewhere along the visa process.

And I wouldn't advocate lying to the US Government. That would give him a ban of some sort.

Why he doesn't go back to Algeria and never get a police report from Spain and never say he lived in this Country after all he doesn't exist to the Spanish society.

i agree with you....maybe if he just went back to algeria....that would solve it.....???

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

We thought of that - but we met in Spain and all our time together/pictures are from Spain.

Thanks,

Christina

That sucks. I really wish I could help you. Spain has severely cracked down on illegal immigration because of the influx of Moroccan and sub-saharan African illegals.

When he returns to Algeria he will have some kind of stamp on his passport that would show that he was outside of Algeria for some amount of time. I'm sure that would come up somewhere along the visa process.

And I wouldn't advocate lying to the US Government. That would give him a ban of some sort.

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
I second Icey. I do not advocate lying during any part of this process, nor do I think that advice should be given on these boards. It is a violation of TOS.

I'd never said: "you should lie" but if he return to his Country I bet it would be so much easy for them to get his visa than stay in a Country illegally. Plus it wasn't and advice it was just my thought. My other thought is to go to the government and tell them "you know what I live in Spain illegally but I want to live in USA legally" so you think he will get his visa?. Well anyway the other option is to file for a waiver.

PS: Thank you for the TOS reminder ;)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry that you are facing such frustrating difficulties.

I have no advice, besides to suggest that the police certificate is not the most important part of an application. Do what you can, and ask others who have been in similar situations for their advice. Tell him to ask around, too. Provided that you both have all of the other required info, perhaps you can find a way to submit your papers without his having to return to Algeria.

E

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

How did he apply for a visa without his being in Algeria? If he does not have residency in Spain he cannot apply through Spain, can he?

I have dealt with the Algerian Embassy for the past year and can tell you that they are very helpful. I would call and explain the situation to them. Ask what to do or if they can write a letter requesting the info from Spain. If you are going to tell the truth throughout this process, as I think you have to, there is no reason not to ask.

We have just filed a waiver in Algiers for my husband's illegal entry and presence in the US (We are now in Algeria). If you needed to, you could do a waiver without a lawyer. It just takes alot of time and research. However, you usually have to file a waiver for US immigration violations, NOT for violating immigration laws of third countries. The police report is to see if he has a criminal record for which he would have to file a waiver. Did he answer all questions honestly in his visa application? Not doing so is another reason why he would have to file a waiver.

It also seems very unlikely to me that any country would grant a visa while you are living in another country illegally. The argument goes that you had been in Spain illegally but are now trying to do things the right, legal, way. This is hard to claim if you are still in Spain illegally.

Call the US Embassy in Algiers. Call the Spanish Embassy in the US. However, I don't think you are going to get much traction with either if he is still in Spain.

He'll survive a return to Algeria. This country is filled with men who were kicked out of Europe and had to come home after x number of years. If you have all your paperwork in order, DCF through the Embassy here is fast. I think it may be the best Embassy one can go through. You fly here for a few weeks, go into the Embassy with him, file everything, ask for help with anything you need help with. I told the Embassy up front that my husband had been in the US illegally for 7 years. They just said, "well then, this is what you have to do..." They have been helpful, even supportive, throughout. Believe me, I understand his not wanting to come back here. It took us a year to decide that, if we were to do this right, we had to leave the US and come to Algeria to wait it out. But, in the end, you get to be legal together in the US and you just have to focus on that long term goal and do what you have to do in the short term to get there.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

OK, I just went and read your old posts and I think it may have cleared something up. He was just denied Spanish residency, right? You have not yet applied for a US visa. That makes more sense.

Also, it seems his concern in returning to Algeria is that Algeria will then not let him leave for five years. This is just not true. My husband came back to Algeria after approx seven years of being in the US illegally. His passport had long expired so he needed a new one which he got after ony minor administrative hoops. We have traveled out of the country using this new passport and had no problems whatsoever despite there always being a police "interview" upon leaving Algeria.

DCF in Algeria is fast and painless. The bigger problem is doing the paperwork to be able to get married in Algeria. This will take more time than DCF will. Although, things being as they are here, if his father is a police officer things could move much faster.

Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support. I'm trying to get in touch with the Algerian Embassy today. I will let you know of any updates.

Thanks again! If there is any more advice please share.

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If I may ask, Why didn't he apply for residency in Spain before the 3 months or let them know he was going to apply? I know that when I was in Germany they told me that I had to let them know if I was planning on staying there over 3 months so I could get a temporary residence card. Why didn't he try for something like that?

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Because of the influx of North African/African immigrants to Spain the government has made it extremely difficult for them to residency permits there. My fiancee overstayed his visa by about two years. They granted all the illegal immigrants amnesty a few years back, but he missed it. He recently applied for residency and met with a judge but was denied.

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.