Vanessa in Texas

Another packet #3 question.....

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so according to packet 3 I have to fill out forms DS-156 and DS-156K.

On form DS-156 question #26, "How long do you intend to stay in the US" Would it be ok to to say "Forever"? lol

Question #27 "What is the purpose of your trip?" Can I say "K1 Visa/Marriage"?

And for question #29 do I have to list all my visits to the US or just my last visit?

Now form DS-156K confuses me. I thought that I didn't need to attach all of the documents that it is asking for until packet 4. Do I need to attach Evidence of financial support, Evidence of engagement, marriage/divorce decree, Police certificate and my birth certificate now?

And why do I need 2 copies?

Ohhh as well.....as of the beginning of the week, form DS-156 had a date on the top right hand corner of 09/30/2010. Is this going to pose a problem? They haven't updated it yet. Will it still be accepted?

Just when I thought everything was a piece of cake, and I thought I knew everything about the forms, I get thrown for a loop! lol

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I totally understand!! Went through the same thing....

I would look on this forum for examples of how each form is filled out...

Thats what I did and it went through fine...

Also I know it says attach those documents (evidence of support, police cert, etc)... DONT NEED TO!!!

You have to produce those at the interview... DONT SEND THEM IN!

And if youre still worried.. spend the extra 16 bucks to call... its a small price to pay for peace of mind!...

Lotsa luck!! :thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

i have another question,what does qualify as evidence of engagement?

the proof of bona fide relationship would do?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"On form DS-156 question #26, "How long do you intend to stay in the US" Would it be ok to to say "Forever"? lol

Question #27 "What is the purpose of your trip?" Can I say "K1 Visa/Marriage"? "

Answer: Indefinetly pending approval K1 Visa ( I put 25 yrs here ..lol .. it was never questioned )

" And for question #29 do I have to list all my visits to the US or just my last visit? "

I went through my passport and listed all. Even when I went to Mexico in 1993 and was in the usa all of 3 hours

" Now form DS-156K confuses me. I thought that I didn't need to attach all of the documents that it is asking for until packet 4. Do I need to attach Evidence of financial support, Evidence of engagement, marriage/divorce decree, Police certificate and my birth certificate now? "

No, you dont send them, this you will take with you when you interview. The checklist is just asking you if you have them, you will send back your checklist saying that you have them, or they dont apply to you.

" And why do I need 2 copies? "

Im not sure, I handed in Originals+copies. And I had 2nd copies of everything ... the entire package, just in case.

" Ohhh as well.....as of the beginning of the week, form DS-156 had a date on the top right hand corner of 09/30/2010. Is this going to pose a problem? They haven't updated it yet. Will it still be accepted? "

I doubt it would be an issue.

" Just when I thought everything was a piece of cake, and I thought I knew everything about the forms, I get thrown for a loop! "

I learned to Hurry Up and Wait through this process ... hehehe

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i have another question,what does qualify as evidence of engagement?

the proof of bona fide relationship would do?

Some cultures have an engagment ceremony, some people announce in local newspapers. The reciept for a ring is always a good way to proof this.

I find this question strange though .... I was never asked to prove engagement, USCIS only wanted proof of a relationship. I was never asked for pictures, clippings or a reciept.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, so according to packet 3 I have to fill out forms DS-156 and DS-156K.

On form DS-156 question #26, "How long do you intend to stay in the US" Would it be ok to to say "Forever"? lol

Question #27 "What is the purpose of your trip?" Can I say "K1 Visa/Marriage"?

And for question #29 do I have to list all my visits to the US or just my last visit?

Now form DS-156K confuses me. I thought that I didn't need to attach all of the documents that it is asking for until packet 4. Do I need to attach Evidence of financial support, Evidence of engagement, marriage/divorce decree, Police certificate and my birth certificate now?

And why do I need 2 copies?

Ohhh as well.....as of the beginning of the week, form DS-156 had a date on the top right hand corner of 09/30/2010. Is this going to pose a problem? They haven't updated it yet. Will it still be accepted?

Just when I thought everything was a piece of cake, and I thought I knew everything about the forms, I get thrown for a loop! lol

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Not sure about Canada but in Sydney Australia I had to send all my documents in with the forms, all originals and they gave them back to me at interview.

Yes you put all your visits to the US and this shows up on the forms once you print them out.

I had to do 2 copies of 156k not of supporting documents. with 2 passport photos attached.

yes you are staying indefinitely and the purpose is to marry your fiance

I didn't get evidence of engagement they asked for evidence of relationship eg: ring engagement invites they are or if you read through so I sent 5 photos of my now husband and all dated and signed and where they were taken and also he wrote a letter of how we met and our future wedding. I also added a copy of wedding Invite even though we had a small one I still did invites for family and friends.

You are doing fine and it is ok you got it in the bag.lol

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for all the responses! I'm just going to go ahead and send everything in without the other forms. It doesn't make any sense to me to send them in anyway if I have to have them at the interview.

;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.