Chris M

Please help! Med exam told my fiancee she could not go to interview because she did not have her adolescent vaccination records!!!!! She never went

142 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Next time I'm telling them the end date is the "End of Days" when Gabriel blows his trumpet. I'll be there permanently in Dec.

I had plenty to get through the last weekend in my back up acct. I was just a bit flustered til I figured out the problem.

Be careful. Bank regulations make it difficult (and practically prohibit) non-US residents from holding US bank accounts. I don't know all the ins and outs. But the patriotic act may classify you as a terrorist if you leave the country and try to use a US bank account. Honestly, I don't really know why.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Be careful. Bank regulations make it difficult (and practically prohibit) non-US residents from holding US bank accounts.

It's actually not that difficult, just have to follow the Patriot Act and not be on the OFAC List, then with IRS Form W-8BEN you can add an foreign national (who isn't even in the US) to your US based bank account.

State Farm bank was very helpful to me with the process, they even issued a Debit Card to my wife (just had to send it to my US address).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's actually not that difficult, just have to follow the Patriot Act and not be on the OFAC List, then with IRS Form W-8BEN you can add an foreign national (who isn't even in the US) to your US based bank account.

State Farm bank was very helpful to me with the process, they even issued a Debit Card to my wife (just had to send it to my US address).

I'm not sure what those forms are or what the OFAC list is, and you may be right. But the post I was responding to was about leaving the US and maintaining a bank account here (as in, you don't have a US address). Insofar as you're talking about having something sent to your US address, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. My point is, if you don't have a US address, it becomes much more complicated.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm not sure what those forms are or what the OFAC list is, and you may be right. But the post I was responding to was about leaving the US and maintaining a bank account here (as in, you don't have a US address). Insofar as you're talking about having something sent to your US address, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. My point is, if you don't have a US address, it becomes much more complicated.

Oh, I'll still have a US address, I'll just be spending, umm "a great deal of time" in Ukraine is all.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Oh, I'll still have a US address, I'll just be spending, umm "a great deal of time" in Ukraine is all.

That's fine. I LIVED there for two years and had an address in the USA and a bank account here and the bank knew all about it. Our son has an account here, an address here and goes to school 10 months per year in Moscow. No problem. On paper I was not. technically, "living" in Ukraine. I was not a "resident" of Ukraine. I was on an extended job assignment and had a visa to be present and work in the country.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country:
Timeline

OFAC = Office of Foreign Asset Control, maintains a list of foreign nationals believed to have terrorist connections.

IRS Form W-8BEN = Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding.

The W-8BEN allows you to have a foreign spouse on your US based account, I was able to add my wife even before we were married using this.

If you're a US Citizen living overseas it's easy to maintain a US address unless everyone you know and are related to has died already.

Timeline

My concern is, will the documents get sent back to the USA if we do not do this soon? I am looking at my NOA 2 now and it says the approval notice is good from July 30 to November 30. I imagine after this date the petition would get sent back to the USA. So we essentially have a month to get this scheduled? although what happens if the interview is scheduled past November 30, which I think will probably happen. Uh oh. Although maybe once you have the interview scheduled I imagine they would hold on to the documents. I guess we will have to work fast since we are on a time crunch now. Any thoughts?

You need to do SOMETHING before Nov. 30 You can ask for an extension. As for the rest I will let somone with more direct Moscow experience comment. with Kiev you do not send anything to the consulate.

Gary And Alla

I work at a bank and deal with this stuff every day (including personally when I travel).

The main reason OFAC would be a concern is the country you are sending money to, or drawing it from. For example, if you send any money to Belarus you get flagged (not stopped), because Belarus is on the OFAC list. The list is not just for terrorism, but also is a catch all ####### list for countries our government doesn't like us to do business with.

In addition to OFAC, there are limits on the amount of money you can send, and the type of instrument you can use, without getting reported to IRS or the FBI. In LL's example above - sending a wire for $15k to Ukraine gets you reported to IRS (but will not in any way effect the transfer). Sending a cashier's check to Ukraine for even a lesser amount (down to maybe $4k) gets you reported to FBI, and a pattern opens an investigation perhaps. Sending a wire for $15k to Minsk or Havana gets reported to both. None of this will prevent legit transfers, they just cause the bank to fill out suspicious activity reports (SARs), or suspicious transaction reports (STRs).

You should be able to use your credit and ATM cards in any country that accepts them, without restriction. The key is to inform your bank what country or countries you will be in, and have some end date in mind. If you are moving permanently like Tim is, you should say that you are traveling extensively for a year, and visit your bank in-person when you come back to the US so you can roll the date back in their system. Make friends with your branch officer and they will have no problem doing this.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You should be able to use your credit and ATM cards in any country that accepts them, without restriction. The key is to inform your bank what country or countries you will be in, and have some end date in mind. If you are moving permanently like Tim is, you should say that you are traveling extensively for a year, and visit your bank in-person when you come back to the US so you can roll the date back in their system. Make friends with your branch officer and they will have no problem doing this.

I told my Credit Union that this account was to be used only when I travel to Ukraine, to help separate my expenses. They put a note on the system, and it was never questioned, and over 3 years I have never had a problem with the card, except that it did expire and I recently had to send a replacement to Iryna's mother.

I pay no ATM fees, no transaction fees, and the account is free with a $1 minimum balance. I also get at or near the exact daily conversion rate. Again, this is through a Credit Union. I am sure a standard bank will find many ways to get ATM fees, transaction fees, and currency conversion fees from you, although it would still be much cheaper and more convenient than wiring or Western Union, etc. I do get charged $1 per transaction over 5 withdrawals per month, but that's only happened once or twice. And even if someone stole the card and somehow knew or guessed the PIN, I never keep more than a few hundred dollars in the account, as I transfer the money into it free over the web on an as-needed basis.

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

I told my Credit Union that this account was to be used only when I travel to Ukraine, to help separate my expenses. They put a note on the system, and it was never questioned, and over 3 years I have never had a problem with the card, except that it did expire and I recently had to send a replacement to Iryna's mother.

I pay no ATM fees, no transaction fees, and the account is free with a $1 minimum balance. I also get at or near the exact daily conversion rate. Again, this is through a Credit Union. I am sure a standard bank will find many ways to get ATM fees, transaction fees, and currency conversion fees from you, although it would still be much cheaper and more convenient than wiring or Western Union, etc. I do get charged $1 per transaction over 5 withdrawals per month, but that's only happened once or twice. And even if someone stole the card and somehow knew or guessed the PIN, I never keep more than a few hundred dollars in the account, as I transfer the money into it free over the web on an as-needed basis.

We have an ATM for a similar account for Vika's parents. Also never had a problem. In my experience you just want to avoid transactions overseas that have no explanation in the system.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for the info Brad. Very good stuff.

I wish I COULD just buddy up with the branch personnel, but they always refer me to the 800 number to set up the travel use.

Its Banknorth if that tells you anything. And I have to give them credit too. About a year ago I was home and suddenly my debit card wouldn't work and of course the branch was already closed for the day. It turned out that their fraud protection system flagged a suspicious transaction and froze the card. Apparently some Travel Agency in the Caribbean tried to buy a plane ticket with my card number. Got a new card the next day and was good to go ever since.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Thanks for the info Brad. Very good stuff.

I wish I COULD just buddy up with the branch personnel, but they always refer me to the 800 number to set up the travel use.

Its Banknorth if that tells you anything. And I have to give them credit too. About a year ago I was home and suddenly my debit card wouldn't work and of course the branch was already closed for the day. It turned out that their fraud protection system flagged a suspicious transaction and froze the card. Apparently some Travel Agency in the Caribbean tried to buy a plane ticket with my card number. Got a new card the next day and was good to go ever since.

I really don't know anything about Banknorth at all. Most of the awful banking related nightmares I have read about here on vj can be avoided with some planning. I never much considered how I would handle moving out of the country permanently to a place where the banking system is, shall we say, a bit less stable than ours. I am reading your posts with interest B-)

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I work at a bank and deal with this stuff every day (including personally when I travel).

The main reason OFAC would be a concern is the country you are sending money to, or drawing it from. For example, if you send any money to Belarus you get flagged (not stopped), because Belarus is on the OFAC list. The list is not just for terrorism, but also is a catch all ####### list for countries our government doesn't like us to do business with.

In addition to OFAC, there are limits on the amount of money you can send, and the type of instrument you can use, without getting reported to IRS or the FBI. In LL's example above - sending a wire for $15k to Ukraine gets you reported to IRS (but will not in any way effect the transfer). Sending a cashier's check to Ukraine for even a lesser amount (down to maybe $4k) gets you reported to FBI, and a pattern opens an investigation perhaps. Sending a wire for $15k to Minsk or Havana gets reported to both. None of this will prevent legit transfers, they just cause the bank to fill out suspicious activity reports (SARs), or suspicious transaction reports (STRs).

Brad we never have any trouble using our cards but we do notify the bank and for Sergey we tell them he will be there for 10 months.

The problem I had was when I gave MY debit card to Alla from MY account (she was not on my account yet) so it was not "her" account. And this was suggested by one member. Tim should have no problem if he keeps his bank informed.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think I started the "ATM" conversation when I asked for a better idea than using Western Union to send my wife's son (in Russia) some money every month. We're talking about $300 usually. The ATM card was suggested to me which sounded like a great idea. Then some issues arose.

I will have to get my wife's son a physical ATM card and furnish it to him. This, it seems, requires that he have an account or be added to my account. I don't think he can open an account unless he is in the USA...so that leaves adding him to my account...and I'm not sure that is acceptable to my credit union. Even if it is, I wonder about questions raised if my credit union starts seeing monthly transactions from Russia?

The basic idea of an ATM card for my wife's son sounds good, but I'm concerned about this causing more headaches than help. And, there is also the issues of how to limit his use of the card. What's to stop him from using it to withdraw $2000 if he wants?

I'm not the best with financial stuff so maybe I missed something? Please elaborate a bit more on how I can get my wife's son an ATM card and not: A. Have him clean my account out? B. Have my credit union flag a lot of Russian transactions?

Timeline

I think I started the "ATM" conversation when I asked for a better idea than using Western Union to send my wife's son (in Russia) some money every month. We're talking about $300 usually. The ATM card was suggested to me which sounded like a great idea. Then some issues arose.

I will have to get my wife's son a physical ATM card and furnish it to him. This, it seems, requires that he have an account or be added to my account. I don't think he can open an account unless he is in the USA...so that leaves adding him to my account...and I'm not sure that is acceptable to my credit union. Even if it is, I wonder about questions raised if my credit union starts seeing monthly transactions from Russia?

The basic idea of an ATM card for my wife's son sounds good, but I'm concerned about this causing more headaches than help. And, there is also the issues of how to limit his use of the card. What's to stop him from using it to withdraw $2000 if he wants?

I'm not the best with financial stuff so maybe I missed something? Please elaborate a bit more on how I can get my wife's son an ATM card and not: A. Have him clean my account out? B. Have my credit union flag a lot of Russian transactions?

That is the problem we had. I could not add Alla to our account without her showing up and presenting ID.

You could look into one of the internet banks and see is that is possible. Many of them are foreign banks anyway. Now Sergey has his own account with his own money from his summer job. We give him an allowance of $300 per month and just deposit it in his account. Alla and I are "beneficiaries" of his account but it is not a "joint account". If he were to die, we could withdraw the funds, but otherwise no. Sergey opened his account himself when he was here, but it works great. We depsot money he takes it out with an ATM.

After the bank cut me off I used MoneyGram to send money. It was much cheaper than Western Union, but still ridiculous, really. There are (or were) some other low cost transfer services IKOBO comes to mind but I think they are defunct.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.