Danno

NPR Fired Juan Williams over this.

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Was Juan wrong to admit his reaction to Muslims in "garb" when flying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfGKVK8PyE&feature=player_embedded

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

Was Juan wrong to admit his reaction to Muslims in "garb" when flying?

This is complicated. Yes, I do believe it is perfectly natural and human for people in this day and age to have (fleeting) thoughts when they see Muslim men in conspicuous Muslim garb. I also believe that is the responsibility of the media (yes, they do have responsibilities - profit can not be their only motive) to educate and enlighten their audience and not simply pander to them or validate them. Did Juan Williams deserve to be fired? It doesn't really matter if he deserved it or not. After all, employment is generally at-will as conservatives like to remind us. But should he have known that his words could get him fired? Yes. He is no newbie to the media world. He knows how it works. He should have known this could happen, and I have to assume he was ok with that.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I've known Juan Williams since high school. He was a big lefty until he started hanging out with nasties like Sean Hannity. Since then, his better judgement has been greatly hampered and his Muslim hating tendencies emphasized. I'm no lefty, but, I actually preferred him that way.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Timeline

Did Juan Williams deserve to be fired? It doesn't really matter if he deserved it or not. After all, employment is generally at-will as conservatives like to remind us. But should he have known that his words could get him fired? Yes. He is no newbie to the media world. He knows how it works. He should have known this could happen, and I have to assume he was ok with that.

What was interesting, was that he was fired by phone. When he asked to meet with the NPR rep in person, she replied, "It won't change my mind. This decision came from higher up." Somebody got to NPR. Since Juan is under contract to NPR, he does have an opportunity to walk away with a good chuck of cash.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is complicated. Yes, I do believe it is perfectly natural and human for people in this day and age to have (fleeting) thoughts when they see Muslim men in conspicuous Muslim garb. I also believe that is the responsibility of the media (yes, they do have responsibilities - profit can not be their only motive) to educate and enlighten their audience and not simply pander to them or validate them. Did Juan Williams deserve to be fired? It doesn't really matter if he deserved it or not. After all, employment is generally at-will as conservatives like to remind us. But should he have known that his words could get him fired? Yes. He is no newbie to the media world. He knows how it works. He should have known this could happen, and I have to assume he was ok with that.

I think it's worth noting he was referring IIRC to having these reservations when on an airplane... and not just in general.

These thoughts of possible danger never cross my mind in daily life when I encounter Muslims in traditional clothing but... they do cross my mind too at the airport, I guess because it's such a vulnerable place and the history we have had.

Is it fair to say as a policy, no matter the number of incidents, any group might be responsible for.... we can never voice concerns when in their presence.. because NPR's no. 1 principle is to assume the best about any group?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What was interesting, was that he was fired by phone. When he asked to meet with the NPR rep in person, she replied, "It won't change my mind. This decision came from higher up." Somebody got to NPR. Since Juan is under contract to NPR, he does have an opportunity to walk away with a good chuck of cash.

Probably Robert Gibbs... :whistle:

NPR is such a joke anyway... If there's one thing that needs to lose its public funding, it's NPR. It makes me sick when they do their "support drives" for more money on top of the millions they get from the government.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Yet, no muslims in 'traditional muslim garb' have blown up, or attempted to blow up 'Western' planes. Dressing in 'traditional muslim garb' would presumably be a dead giveaway and it's the ones 'in disguise' you need to worry about, no?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I think if anyone's traditional garb was an exploding vest, I might be a little nervous around them, Muslim, or not.

Right, because that's a huge tradition anywhere - not. Do you think suicide bombers just walk up to their target with their vest full of explosives on full display and everyone simply ignores it?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

There is no such thing as traditional Muslim garb. What Muslims wear depends on where they're from, unless they are imitating another region's mode of dress. I suspect that "traditional Muslim garb" to a lot of people is what's popular in the Gulf area, like niquab, for example.Their traditions have come to define what's Islamic for many, although that is not how Muslims define it. Anyway, dressing like Jesus and Mary did shouldn't scare people.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yet, no muslims in 'traditional muslim garb' have blown up, or attempted to blow up 'Western' planes. Dressing in 'traditional muslim garb' would presumably be a dead giveaway and it's the ones 'in disguise' you need to worry about, no?

nota.jpg

He shouldn't of been fired and from whats been posted I have no reason to believe otherwise! Just a bunch of wishy washy answers.

Should he have been fired? Of course not!

AJ it is not complicated!

Edited by _Simpson_