SpelaD

AOS - Medical/Possible RFE Question

22 posts in this topic

if I get a rfe for vaccinations, can I still get approved for EAD?

And if I do decide to go to a CS, can I use anyone or just the ones listed on USCIS web page?

Yes you will still get your EAD, i got a medical RFE after i had recevied my EAD, Personally the EAD was the important one for me, the green card can take 6 months for all i care, so long as i can work and it arrives eventually all is good.

You need to use one of the USCIS certified Civil surgeons from the list.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
if I get a rfe for vaccinations, can I still get approved for EAD?

And if I do decide to go to a CS, can I use anyone or just the ones listed on USCIS web page?

Eventually yes, but not until you have replied to the RFE. The RFE puts EVERYTHING on hold, including EAD, AP and of course AOS.

As for the CS, has to be USCIS approved. Here's the locator: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

Yes you will still get your EAD, i got a medical RFE after i had recevied my EAD, Personally the EAD was the important one for me, the green card can take 6 months for all i care, so long as i can work and it arrives eventually all is good.

You need to use one of the USCIS certified Civil surgeons from the list.

you got yours BEFORE you got an RFE... it's quite different. The RFE puts all of it on hold and until the RFE response is received, and processing resumed. They will not get their EAD while waiting to respond to the RFE. that's why it's important they reply to the RFE asap if they want their EAD or AP urgently.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I called 3 CSs today. One said they're not gonna do it without me doing a medical exam again, one didnt have any dates open and the third said I can come in today and they're gonna do it for $75.

K1 JOURNEY
Sent I 129 F: Mid January 2010, they received it January 20th
Interview: June 21st...K1 VISA APPROVED
POE in MCO: July 22nd 2010

AOS JOURNEY
Sent AOS, EAD, AP: November 8th 2010
Delivered: November 10th
Check cashed, NOA1s received in text and email: November 16th
Touch: November 19th
Biometrics in Orlando: December 16th
Contacted congressman's office with inquiry to expedite AP: January 12th 2011
EAD approved: January 13th
EAD received: not sure, I was overseas, but I know it arrived between January 24th and 28th
AP approved - no update on USCIS; I was notified of approval by Congressman: January 13th
AP received: January 21st
Started job hunting: February 11th
Interview: March 7th @ 2.35 pm - GC APPROVED!
Received GC in mail: March 14th
ROC: December 8th 2012

ROC JOURNEY
Sent I - 751 packet: February 4th 2013
Packet delivered: Feb 6th
Check cashed: Feb 11th
NOA1 (dated 2/7/13) received: Feb 12th
Biometric appointment: March 14th

RFE dated July 15th received

RFE reply sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center: Oct 9th

GC approved, letter dated Oct 30th

h5m17p.png

I went through all this last week. You do still need to have a civil surgeon fill in your form and certify your vaccinations are up to date, but everyone should be aware that the USCIS now asks for the civil surgeon to do a TB test and syphilis test. (see link http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=6abe6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextoid=7abb2ee7efee4210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD)

This applies even though you had a chest X ray at your K1 medical examination.

I'm pretty sure I had a syphilis test at the London medical - I certainly had blood test and was told they no longer screen for HIV, I'm sure they said syphilis.

When I realised what the USCIS is now asking for, I made many calls to various civil surgeons listed on the USCIS site, they all said the same thing about needing TB and syphilis tests. Costs varied from $240 to $125, I went for the cheapest option, a local gynecologist who doubles up and makes extra money doing this USCIS stuff.

He was very helpful, did the two tests, gave me a quick once over to make sure I was still in good health, and then I went back two days later for the test results (both negative, fyi!).

He fills in the form, we both sign, and then it gets sealed in an envelope (though I got a copy for my records).

It's yet more duplication of effort and information - everything I'm supplying for my AOS has already been submitted for the K1 - but as my new husband says, just grit your teeth, fill all the forms in, play the game, and it'll soon be over.

You were screened for TB and sexually transmitted diseases in the UK. The results are in your medical file handed over at POE. No need to do it again.

That information you posted is a year old and it applies to those adjusting status who did not have a medical exam (by a panel physician) within the last 12 months. The information is for people taking the full medical exam in the US. The majority of people adjusting status already live in the US and have had no official immigration medical screening. K1s only have to sort out if they have had all the immunizations. I think alot of civil surgeon's offices are so used to what they do for most green card applicants, that they don't realize there is a small group of K visa holders who have already had the tests. So they give their standard robotic immigrant answer.

The 2009 update was to add other "brand name" TB tests to the list of acceptable ways to screen for TB, besides the traditional skin test.

This update makes the traditional Tuberculin Skin Test (TST), and as of Nov. 1, 2009, the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold (QFT-G) Test, the QuantiFERON®- TB Gold in Tube (QFT-G IT) test, and the T-Spot TB test available for TB testing.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

this is how it went. the doctor tested me for TB (Mantoux test), so I gotta go back on wednesday, I got a shot for Variccella even tho I had Chickenpox before, but its required to get 2 shots in US and back in my country nobody gets a shot...

K1 JOURNEY
Sent I 129 F: Mid January 2010, they received it January 20th
Interview: June 21st...K1 VISA APPROVED
POE in MCO: July 22nd 2010

AOS JOURNEY
Sent AOS, EAD, AP: November 8th 2010
Delivered: November 10th
Check cashed, NOA1s received in text and email: November 16th
Touch: November 19th
Biometrics in Orlando: December 16th
Contacted congressman's office with inquiry to expedite AP: January 12th 2011
EAD approved: January 13th
EAD received: not sure, I was overseas, but I know it arrived between January 24th and 28th
AP approved - no update on USCIS; I was notified of approval by Congressman: January 13th
AP received: January 21st
Started job hunting: February 11th
Interview: March 7th @ 2.35 pm - GC APPROVED!
Received GC in mail: March 14th
ROC: December 8th 2012

ROC JOURNEY
Sent I - 751 packet: February 4th 2013
Packet delivered: Feb 6th
Check cashed: Feb 11th
NOA1 (dated 2/7/13) received: Feb 12th
Biometric appointment: March 14th

RFE dated July 15th received

RFE reply sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center: Oct 9th

GC approved, letter dated Oct 30th

h5m17p.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I went through all this last week. You do still need to have a civil surgeon fill in your form and certify your vaccinations are up to date, but everyone should be aware that the USCIS now asks for the civil surgeon to do a TB test and syphilis test. (see link http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=6abe6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextoid=7abb2ee7efee4210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD)

This applies even though you had a chest X ray at your K1 medical examination.

I'm pretty sure I had a syphilis test at the London medical - I certainly had blood test and was told they no longer screen for HIV, I'm sure they said syphilis.

When I realised what the USCIS is now asking for, I made many calls to various civil surgeons listed on the USCIS site, they all said the same thing about needing TB and syphilis tests. Costs varied from $240 to $125, I went for the cheapest option, a local gynecologist who doubles up and makes extra money doing this USCIS stuff.

He was very helpful, did the two tests, gave me a quick once over to make sure I was still in good health, and then I went back two days later for the test results (both negative, fyi!).

He fills in the form, we both sign, and then it gets sealed in an envelope (though I got a copy for my records).

It's yet more duplication of effort and information - everything I'm supplying for my AOS has already been submitted for the K1 - but as my new husband says, just grit your teeth, fill all the forms in, play the game, and it'll soon be over.

As stated by Nich-Nick no it's not. This is ONLY if you have a complete medical. If you are just going for vaccination transcription this does not apply to you. Please read the Q&A here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=1758d5b07655b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Specifically: "Q: If an applicant is required to receive only the vaccinations, and not undergo the entire medical exam, does he/she have to submit the entire Form I-693?

No. Applicants who are not required to have the entire medical examination need to submit only pages one, three and five of the new form. The required sections include Part 1, Information About You, the vaccination record portion of Part 2, and Part 5 (if the vaccinations are administered by a civil surgeon) or Part 6 (if the vaccinations are administered by a local health department). Pages two and four, that would have been left blank, do not need to be submitted."

**Edit - my transcription cost $50. I didn't have the TB test, or the syphillis test because those were done for my K1 medical and because my medical was still valid (less than a year old) I didn't need a new medical done, just the transcription. I had this done in March or so of 2010. Approved without RFE, or interview.

I'm sorry you got ripped off and tested for things you didn't need to be. You'll still be fine of course, just unnecessary testing/cost.

**Further edit - on a more personal note, I notice you didn't file the EAD or AP with the AOS... I find this odd given the current approval time is much slower than it was for me back in April, and given the fee for them was waived if filed with AOS. You can still file them now but you would need to send the AOS NOA1 in order to get the fees waived. Also, please update your profile to reflect you are now "AOS (pending)". To update your profile click on "settings" (up the top right of the page) then the "profile" tab, then "change profile information" (which should be the default one that opens). Then scroll down to Immigration status where it currently says "k1" and change it to "AOS (pending)".

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.