boang12

Travel Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi,

My wife has a conditional green card and we were looking into visiting her family in the Philippines and we currently live in the U.S.Does anyone know how long we can legally stay over there before we must come back?

Thanks

6 months u have to be back before its 6 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Ok thank you

You have TWELVE months. Anything under 365 days.

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to " Working & Traveling During US Immigration" as this is relating to travel outside the US**

6 months u have to be back before its 6 month

I don't know where you got your information but you're wrong.

An LPR can stay outside the US for less than 12 months. After 6 months her naturalisation clock is paused, after 12 months it's reset to 0.

The LPR can stay outside the US for MORE than 12 months if they obtain a re-entry permit.

Please check your facts before writing incorrect advice. It is very confusing for new-comers.

**Edit - any time after 6 months can be used by CBP to determine whether they think you've abandoned your status. Anything under 6 months cannot be used. You can still stay out longer than 6 months, but there are things to maintain your status.

In order to be safe (and for naturalization reasons) it's best to not exceed 6 months, but nothing says you can't.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

You have TWELVE months. Anything under 365 days.

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to " Working & Traveling During US Immigration" as this is relating to travel outside the US**

I don't know where you got your information but you're wrong.

An LPR can stay outside the US for less than 12 months. After 6 months her naturalisation clock is paused, after 12 months it's reset to 0.

The LPR can stay outside the US for MORE than 12 months if they obtain a re-entry permit.

Please check your facts before writing incorrect advice. It is very confusing for new-comers.

**Edit - any time after 6 months can be used by CBP to determine whether they think you've abandoned your status. Anything under 6 months cannot be used. You can still stay out longer than 6 months, but there are things to maintain your status.

In order to be safe (and for naturalization reasons) it's best to not exceed 6 months, but nothing says you can't.

maybe u r ryt

but the fact is i saw many many post regarding this that if u want to stay more than 6 months u need permission and if u come back within 6 months its ok.. thats way i said...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
maybe u r ryt

but the fact is i saw many many post regarding this that if u want to stay more than 6 months u need permission and if u come back within 6 months its ok.. thats way i said...

You might see those posts and those people are also wrong. Unfortunately it happens a lot that people post wrong information and people who know better miss the wrong posts and aren't able to correct.

So now you know :) If you see someone posting "max 6 months" you can tell them they're wrong :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.