Jenn!

All My Moms Love Me

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - More than a dozen children of polygamist families spoke publicly at a Utah rally for the first time on Saturday about their lifestyle and called for more understanding.

"I'm the 14th child in a large family and I have several moms," said Mary, 18. "All my mothers love me."

Using only their first names to protect their families, 15 young men and women ranging in age from 10 to 20 addressed a pro-polygamy crowd of 200 to 300 in downtown Salt Lake City.

"I did not come here today to ask for permission to live my beliefs. I shouldn't have to. I came here to defend a principle," said 19-year-old Tyler.

Organizers of Saturday's rally say plural families have historically avoided the spotlight, fearing criminal prosecution and ridicule. Polygamy is outlawed across the United States, but researchers estimate there are more than 30,000 practicing polygamists in Utah.

"There has been so much negative publicity about the polygamy lifestyle; we felt it was time to present the other side of the story," said Anne Wilde, spokeswoman for the polygamy advocacy group Principal Voices.

"I just don't think it's for everybody but I also think it should be a free choice and what we would like to see is equal civil rights so people don't lose their jobs or are ostracized for any reason."

NOT BRAINWASHED

Ten-year-old Sarah told the boisterous crowd she gets her homework done faster because of the help from "lots of brothers and sisters."

Seventeen-year-old Jessica called her several dozen siblings her best friends. "We're not brainwashed, mistreated, neglected, malnourished, illiterate, defective or dysfunctional," she said.

Most of the young men who spoke wore slacks, shirts and ties; the women wore long dresses and blouses.

Katherine, 16, told the crowd she hopes one day to become an attorney so she might "fight for the rights of others."

Following the rally, Katherine's mother Rachel said in an interview that when she grew up in polygamy there was much less openness.

"It is very historic ... I was very proud that the younger generation is stepping up and saying what they believe," said Rachel, who has three "sister-wives."

"I think the next generation is saying I'm not going to hide anymore, I don't want to live in fear like my parents did."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, based in Utah, stopped the practice of polygamy in 1890 as a condition of statehood. They now excommunicate anyone practicing polygamy, although several splinter groups still practice it.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1222482006

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yeah i'm not sure how I feel about all that ... I think if it BECAME a widely accepted principle...things would really change...

I mean there are ppl out there that if they COULD...definitely WOULD.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If done correctly it is fine. But in Utah it very often isn't done correctly. Saw a documentary on the NG channel and apparently a lot of abuse goes on in those families.

Filed: Timeline
If done correctly it is fine. But in Utah it very often isn't done correctly. Saw a documentary on the NG channel and apparently a lot of abuse goes on in those families.

It can't be practiced correctly as long as the laws here do not recognize it as a legal marriage and offer all the wives the same rights.

It is also very difficult for a woman in this position to report abuse for fear of being prosecuted. If anything, the laws here hinder the rights of these women.

Perhaps, if politicians were not so afraid that their mistresses would start demanding their rights of marriage, they would change the laws to make more sense and actually help women in this position.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

lol #######.. utah freaks.. poligamy ftl

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

####### is with you ?? :angry:

Don't be calling ppl from Utah freaks !

NOT All people in Utah practise pologomy. In fact the groups who do, have been excomunicated from the Mormon church., And BTW not everyone in Utah is Mormon.

Edited by raphael7546

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

profiling? :unsure::P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The polygimist sect is a very small percent. They are not recognized by the official mormon church. There is a small town in Northern Arizona near Page that also is known for it's polygimists.

I think those kids were kind of put up to that demonstration, because from what I have observed the girls have no rights and are married off at a very young age like 10-12 years old to old geezers in there 50's and 60's.

Once I was at a campground in Northern AZ and a couple of vans pulled up... Lots of kids, women and not a lot of guys. The women and girls were dressed in old fashioned clothing and the boys were dressed normally.

I thought oh, a reinactment group , until one guy said to his kid go talk to MA and he said "which one....

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

And BTW not everyone in Utah is Mormon.

Yeah, there's supposedly a non-Mormon couple living in the state. :lol:

Seriously, though, what's the percentage? Seventy plus percent, ninety some odd percent Mormons? I heard it's a lot but really don't know the exact number.

62.4% as of 2004

source: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2886596

There are more practicing polygamists in Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, and Wyoming than in Utah itself, although there are a few strongholds here.

Lots of kids, women and not a lot of guys.

Moondancer

That's becuase they kick out the young men when they get to be teenagers, in order to have more women for themselves. They call them "Lost Boys", and these kids have to all of a sudden learn to cope in a normal environment after living in these compounds all their lives. It's really sad.

Edited by luvaLimey

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

NOT All people in Utah practise pologomy. In fact the groups who do, have been excomunicated from the Mormon church., And BTW not everyone in Utah is Mormon.

don't twist my words.. i didn't say all people from utah are freaks.. i said utah freaks.. freaks that live in utah.. so chill..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Timeline

don't twist my words.. i didn't say all people from utah are freaks.. i said utah freaks.. freaks that live in utah.. so chill..

Pedro,

You have been outed as an anti-Mormon bigot. Report to the nearest re-education camp immediately. Thank you.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.