GM & MM

Can my husband come to the US while we wait for K3?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone - I've filed for the K-3 visa for my husband who is currently in Canada. I'm hoping that someone might be able to answer my two questions:

QUESTION 1- So far I've received the NOA1 for both the I-130 and I-129F... they were received on Aug 26th and Sep 9th, respectively. And here's the BIG question: IS MY HUSBAND ALLOWED TO COME TO VISIT ME HERE IN THE US FOR 1 OR 2 WEEKS?

QUESTION 2- WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN BEFORE MY HUSBAND CAN COME AND STAY WITH ME HERE IN THE US? Even if he's not able to work for a little while, big deal, I just want to know at what point in the process can he come here, because I'm going nuts without him and miss him SOOOOO much!!!

If anyone can help with these two questions it would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

GM

From what I have read, he can enter under the visa waiver program, BUT he has to show strong ties outside of the United States, meaning he has to prove he intends to leave after his visit. An approved vacation leave from work and maybe some proof of pending financial obligations (e.g. like a mortgage, and similar obligations) can help establish that.

There is a possibility that he will be refused entry, so you have to plan for that...you may have to visit him yourself.

I can understand how much you miss him (my husband and I had 10,000 miles between us during the whole process)...but if you want him to stay permanently, then there really isn't any other alternative than to wait for the entire visa process to finish, so he can get his visa in hand.

Have you considered doing a CR1/IR1 instead of K3 so he hits the ground running, no matter what your plans are (he'd land on a 2-year conditional green card or a 10-year one, depending if you guys have been married for less than 2 years or 2 years and up)...while I have also read you can try to inform NVC that you will undergo the K3 process instead of CR1/IR1, there is a likelihood they will force you to go the CR1/IR1 route...

Hi Everyone - I've filed for the K-3 visa for my husband who is currently in Canada. I'm hoping that someone might be able to answer my two questions:

QUESTION 1- So far I've received the NOA1 for both the I-130 and I-129F... they were received on Aug 26th and Sep 9th, respectively. And here's the BIG question: IS MY HUSBAND ALLOWED TO COME TO VISIT ME HERE IN THE US FOR 1 OR 2 WEEKS?

QUESTION 2- WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN BEFORE MY HUSBAND CAN COME AND STAY WITH ME HERE IN THE US? Even if he's not able to work for a little while, big deal, I just want to know at what point in the process can he come here, because I'm going nuts without him and miss him SOOOOO much!!!

If anyone can help with these two questions it would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

GM

Edited by marriedtomrg

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not an expert by any means but as a Canadian wife going thru this process (NOA2 is on the way as of yesterday WOOHOO!!) I can tell you that your husband can visit the US while you wait for the paperwork to be processed and vice versa.

At the border I was required to show ample proof of my intention to return to Canada at a specific time. I brought bank records, a plane ticket and a letter from my employer stating that I was required back at work on a specific date.

I'd recommend bringing as many documents as you can to prove your husband will not be staying permanently until he has the proper documents permitting him to do so. If he owns his house a copy of the title/mortgage/property taxes/insurance would be a good idea I'd think.

If he goes thru what I have gone thru each time I've crossed the border since Jun/10 when we applied for our Visa, he will be spending quite a bit of time with the border guards in their special rooms, but don't be nervous, simply be honest with any questions asked.

I entered the US on Oct 4th and won't be returning to Canada until Jan/11, so your husband should be able to visit for a couple of weeks (barring having a border guard having a bad day).

Good luck!

:)

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.

vkzhm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I have read, he can enter under the visa waiver program

Canadians do not travel on the VWP - we have something entirely different

OP - your husband can come and visit for up to 180 days (if granted). However, he should travel with ties to Canada such as a lease/mortgage, a job letter, utility bills, car note, etc, to show that he must return to Canada. Entrance is not guarenteed however, neither is a stay of 180 days.

Your I-129F for your K-3 visa will likely be administratively closed once your petitions are approved, this has been happening since February of this year. Prepare all your documents for the CR-1 and plan on interviewing in Montreal

We all miss our spuoses during this process, Chin up - there is an end

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

• 11 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Everyone - I've filed for the K-3 visa for my husband who is currently in Nigeria. I'm hoping that someone might be able to answer my questions.

So far I've received the NOA1 for both the I-130 and I-129F... they were received on Sep 22 and Oct 14, respectively. Heres the BIG questions:

QUESTION 1- WHAT Happens from here (forms for approval for spouse to travel, what else do I need to file, etc)

QUESTION 2- WHAT needs to happen before my husband can travel to me? (will he receive documents, will receive notification to be interviewed before or after he omes to the US,

QUESTION 3- WHAT will I receive or my spouse before he can be approved to travel?NEEDS TO HAPPEN BEFORE MY HUSBAND CAN COME AND STAY WITH ME HERE IN THE US? Even if he's not able to work for a little while, big deal, I just want to know at what point in the process can he come here, because I'm going nuts without him and miss him SOOOOO much!!!

QUESTION 4- When do we need to prove support, for I-864

Question 5- WHAT do it mean when it is said, the K3 is administratively closed, and what do I pursue

Someone, please if you would help with these question, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you are lucky your husband will be here 6-12 months after you filed your I130 , if you are like about 1/2 of us you will wait at least an additional year.

First they will cash your check, then they will let everything sit for about 3 months. They will then look at your petition and ask for more information ( RFE) or approve it.

Depending on which is approved it will go to NVC and you will pay some more fees ( I 130) or if will go to Nigeria ( I 129F) and you will pay visa fees there ( actually he will ) He will also need a medical and police certificate(S)

Before he can come he needs a visa so you are in for a wait.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.