14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My spouse arrived in the U.S. in August 2010. We have yet to apply for AOS because we do not have the funds at the time.

We were thinking on applying for food stamps. Would this be a bad idea? What would happen if we are approved and the we begin the AOS process, would it hurt it? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Kasper&Kena

01/09/2010 - Sent I-129F

01/14/2010 - NOA1 Received

03/16/2010 - NOA2 Sent

03/18/2010 - NOA2 Received

03/24/2010 - Pkt 3 Received

03/29/2010 - Pkt 3 sent back

04/20/2010 - Pkt 4 Received

05/17/2010 - Medical Appt date

05/20/2010 - Interview (APPROVED!!!!)

06/08/2010 - Received Passport/visa

08/15/2010 - POE!

08/27/2010 - Wedding

----------------------

03/04/2011 - Sent off AOS package

05/24/2011 - Interview date APPROVED!

05/11/2011 - EAD & AP Card received!

06/03/2011 - Green card received!

See timeline for full details

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My spouse arrived in the U.S. in August 2010. We have yet to apply for AOS because we do not have the funds at the time.

We were thinking on applying for food stamps. Would this be a bad idea? What would happen if we are approved and the we begin the AOS process, would it hurt it? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

It will probably raise some flags. Did you have a sponsor for the I-134?

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks in advance.

I think it's best if the US citizen applies for food stamps so it doesn't raise any red flags. As far as filing for AOS, all you need to do is get a co-sponsor if you don't make enough a year and that's that.

Good luck!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I could be wrong, but I thought that the whole reason that you had to have a sponsor or cosponsor at the K-1 level is so you don't attempt to get on benefits as soon as you arrive in the country....

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks in advance.

You (the USC) can apply for food stamps. Your spouse cannot as your spouse is still technically a non-immigrant visitor to the US. They will not consider your spouse when determining the amount of food stamps you will qualify for. Once your spouse becomes a permanent resident then they may technically qualify for food stamps, but the government can come after you - the primary sponsor - for reimbursement of any benefits they receive. In other words, you should not let your spouse apply, even after they become a permanent resident.

Collecting food stamps should not adversely affect the AOS, presuming you have a well qualified co-sponsor.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I (US citizen) would be applying for the food stamp assistance. I did not need a co-sponsor at the time of filing the K-1. However, on the local food benefits website, they have a calculator in which you can enter your information (monthly earnings, number of people in household, etc) and determine unofficially if you would be able to receive benefits before applying. I did apply, and I do have a interview on Friday. I am just wondering if this will effect the process when we file AOS. It asked how many people living in residence and for their SS #'s, and since my non-US citizen husband has received his SS card I put his SS#. So now I'm wondering if it would just be wise to skip this all and forget it for the time being.

Kasper&Kena

01/09/2010 - Sent I-129F

03/16/2010 - NOA2 Sent

08/15/2010 - POE!

08/27/2010 - Wedding

----------------------

event.png

Timeline

I (US citizen) would be applying for the food stamp assistance. I did not need a co-sponsor at the time of filing the K-1. However, on the local food benefits website, they have a calculator in which you can enter your information (monthly earnings, number of people in household, etc) and determine unofficially if you would be able to receive benefits before applying. I did apply, and I do have a interview on Friday. I am just wondering if this will effect the process when we file AOS. It asked how many people living in residence and for their SS #'s, and since my non-US citizen husband has received his SS card I put his SS#. So now I'm wondering if it would just be wise to skip this all and forget it for the time being.

They're not supposed to consider him when they consider your household size because he's not legally eligible to receive benefits. If you are still eligible with one fewer household member then you can still collect benefits.

It can affect whether you are qualified to be the sole sponsor for the AOS. Qualifying isn't only a matter of meeting the minimum income requirements for the I-864. The IO has discretion. They are allowed to consider any factor when determining whether your spouse might become a public charge. If you are collecting means tested benefits then you aren't in a very good position to guarantee the US government that your spouse won't also collect them. They may require a co-sponsor.

They're not supposed to consider him when they consider your household size because he's not legally eligible to receive benefits. If you are still eligible with one fewer household member then you can still collect benefits.

It can affect whether you are qualified to be the sole sponsor for the AOS. Qualifying isn't only a matter of meeting the minimum income requirements for the I-864. The IO has discretion. They are allowed to consider any factor when determining whether your spouse might become a public charge. If you are collecting means tested benefits then you aren't in a very good position to guarantee the US government that your spouse won't also collect them. They may require a co-sponsor.

Jim, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there which proves the usage of means-tested benefits by the primary sponsor is not a precursor to denial. I've known primary sponsors to be ON benefits when the affidavit is filed.

The problem comes in when the primary sponsor has a long HISTORY of usage of means-tested benefits. Or where they are or have drawn the whole shootin' match, especially cash benefits.

I personally would not discourage the OP from getting what she may well qualify and be entitled to. I think it's important that she somehow come up with the money to adjust her husband's status so that he can go to work, thereby helping the household's financial situation. If saving some money on groceries helps her do that, I say so be it.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

When you have the interview for food stamps, be entirely open about your wife being a non-immigrant. Then you will have no worries about their approval being based on a lie.

As for once she is a permanent resident...she IS able to get aid such as WIC, food stamps, medicaid, housing assistance, energy assistance, etcetc. It is getting cash benefits that supplement income (such as SSI) that she won't be able to get.

It's kinda good if you manage to file for AOS within the 90 days, so if you can save money on food then it is entirely a good thing.

Timeline

Jim, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there which proves the usage of means-tested benefits by the primary sponsor is not a precursor to denial. I've known primary sponsors to be ON benefits when the affidavit is filed.

The problem comes in when the primary sponsor has a long HISTORY of usage of means-tested benefits. Or where they are or have drawn the whole shootin' match, especially cash benefits.

I personally would not discourage the OP from getting what she may well qualify and be entitled to. I think it's important that she somehow come up with the money to adjust her husband's status so that he can go to work, thereby helping the household's financial situation. If saving some money on groceries helps her do that, I say so be it.

I'm not discouraging anyone to apply for anything they might be qualified for. I'm saying a co-sponsor might be required by the IO. I also know a primary sponsor who was told to get a co-sponsor, in spite of clearing the income threshold by just under $3000, because she was collecting food stamps. The IO has discretion. It never hurts to be prepared.

When you have the interview for food stamps, be entirely open about your wife being a non-immigrant. Then you will have no worries about their approval being based on a lie.

As for once she is a permanent resident...she IS able to get aid such as WIC, food stamps, medicaid, housing assistance, energy assistance, etcetc. It is getting cash benefits that supplement income (such as SSI) that she won't be able to get.

It's kinda good if you manage to file for AOS within the 90 days, so if you can save money on food then it is entirely a good thing.

Yes, a permanent resident can collect non-cash benefits, and can even collect cash benefits provided they aren't meant to augment income. Collecting these benefits does not make them a "public charge". The problem is that the affidavit of support can be enforced against the sponsor if they do. It doesn't help their situation if the immigrant spouse collects benefits and then the non-immigrant spouse has to repay the government for those benefits.

She wont be eligible for at least 5 years but they do have to take the household size into account even if shes ineligible and even though he wont get more money as a result..he may get less by the time they do their crazy calculations.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

She wont be eligible for at least 5 years but they do have to take the household size into account even if shes ineligible and even though he wont get more money as a result..he may get less by the time they do their crazy calculations.

I always figure that if someone can't find the answer themselves using google then the best advice to give them is to go and ask the agency itself directly, rather than rely on forum answers. Too many times I have read things like "a permanent resident can never get any form of welfare". Without knowing the whole situation there is a risk that the advice given on the forum will lead to someone not getting the help they need. For example, for all we know the OP might be in the military, or his spouse might be disabled. (Or people reading this thread in the future might be.) In which case she would be eligible before 5 years.

I always figure that if someone can't find the answer themselves using google then the best advice to give them is to go and ask the agency itself directly, rather than rely on forum answers. Too many times I have read things like "a permanent resident can never get any form of welfare". Without knowing the whole situation there is a risk that the advice given on the forum will lead to someone not getting the help they need. For example, for all we know the OP might be in the military, or his spouse might be disabled. (Or people reading this thread in the future might be.) In which case she would be eligible before 5 years.

Alternatively they can ask someone who has first hand knowledge of the requirements of foodstamps. Generally speaking ,a LPR cant get benefits until they have been in the US for 5 years.

Edited by Myopia

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Timeline

Thank you all for your responses.

@JonnaV, neither me (US citizen) or my husband (non-US citizen) is in the military or disabled.

I do know that if I only considered myself that the system considers me not eligible to receive food stamp assistance, according to them. So it would probably be best if we just hold off on this. It would help a lot to be able to receive the assistance, but it isn't worth it if it will do damage. I don't want anything to hurt the AOS process when we begin to apply. And plus, like the majority was saying here is that I cannot consider my husband (non-US citizen) when applying for them.

Edited by njrichardson

Kasper&Kena

01/09/2010 - Sent I-129F

03/16/2010 - NOA2 Sent

08/15/2010 - POE!

08/27/2010 - Wedding

----------------------

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.