one...two...tree

What do we tip waiters for?

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A friend of mine would give free rounds of coffee by telling the customers "it's on the house".

He claims it worked very well for improving his tips...

I knew a guy who worked as the cocktail waiter at Bennigan's here in downtown Fort Worth many years ago... he used to pull 4-bills easy on a Saturday night simply because he would buy most of his tables one drink and they loved him for it...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

My wife used to wait tables when she was in college. I know she used to make at least 100 a shift in tips but her hourly wage was only 2 dollars an hour. Oh yeah, she also told me that the fat women never tip a waitress.....they only tip the waiters and abuse the waitresses :rofl:

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Oh yeah and for the people saying that they want the restaurant owners to pay a fair wage to the waiters and waitresses......I don't am sure most of you would be complaining about how high the price of the food would be if that were the case. Most people want lobster, caviar, and fillet minion all you can eat for 10 dollars :whistle:

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Oh yeah and for the people saying that they want the restaurant owners to pay a fair wage to the waiters and waitresses......I don't am sure most of you would be complaining about how high the price of the food would be if that were the case. Most people want lobster, caviar, and fillet minion all you can eat for 10 dollars :whistle:

Fillet minion? You want to hurt this little guy?

minions.jpg

No wonder he looks upset!

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Fillet minion? You want to hurt this little guy?

minions.jpg

No wonder he looks upset!

:devil:

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As I said, why is it based on food price, not service???? There should be no baseline because you are paying for the service they are providing when you tip, the food already has a price.

I see what you are saying, however, tips are not just for quality of service but also are regarded similar to a commission, which the restaurants use to encourage their servers to upsell. One of the most basic ways they do that is by asking everyone at a table what they want to drink before even giving them a menu. A round of cola's for a table of four, for example, can easily add $10 to the bill.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I see what you are saying, however, tips are not just for quality of service but also are regarded similar to a commission, which the restaurants use to encourage their servers to upsell. One of the most basic ways they do that is by asking everyone at a table what they want to drink before even giving them a menu. A round of cola's for a table of four, for example, can easily add $10 to the bill.

I would agree with you on this except I do not know any establishment that pays servers a commission on the sale.

Now take where I work most (not all ) franchisees pay a 5% on net sales to drivers as a DMR (Driver Maintenance Reimbirsement) this is a non taxable wage meant to pay for vehicle maintenance.

If customers knew 5% was paid to the driver alot of tips would not be given. The DMR is not designed to replace tips or increase the wage of the driver but most people would not know that.

Average DMR per ticket is .40.

Average tip is still $1 for delivery orders through out the industry so a driver making 7.25 an hour taking the average of 4 deliveries an hour will earn $4 plus the 1.60 DMR totaling 11.25 taxable income and $1.6 untaxed for an average 5 hour shift that is $56.25 plus $8 untaxed; 5 days a week is 281.25 taxable plus $40 untaxed.

I would not consider this enought to live on but for a part time gig or to fill in the gaps as needed to pay bills or not starve it goes a long way.

Side note I know a girl that has been earning at $43-48k a year working 60 hour weeks deliverying for a pizza company and a sub shop on college campus. Again not a rich person but she has been doing this since 2004 and continues through today.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so sure you made that restaurant sing and make money.

Which is why you now stare at a computer monitor 90% of the time...not to say I could do that.

Quite an insipid comment, even for you. I would take my job now to be a step up from managing a small restaurant. Nice try there corky to insult me, but I think the fries are burning and you need to get back to work.

Yah, I got so tired of paying ~$3 for 20oz of soda that I started asking how much it cost so that I could figure out if I was going to drink enough refills to make it worth my money. Most of the time the cost of the soft drinks isn't even ON the damned menu, whether you have it before ordering them or not!

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Quite an insipid comment, even for you. I would take my job now to be a step up from managing a small restaurant. Nice try there corky to insult me, but I think the fries are burning and you need to get back to work.

Sorry if you took offense no insult was intended if it were there would have been other repricutions other than an overly educated person telling me my field of work is beneath him and skilless.

But hey lets compare paychecks and benefits.:hehe:

Btw way we do not have any hot food in our shops.

Owner/operators that are able to make the investment make an average $120; - 180K on one unit.

and yes they are doing the grunt work.

and yes there are locations were the owner/operator makes less then 6 figure while some locations earn the owner more than the average.

I haven't even spoke about multi unit operators.

Now I think the police scanner is going off go look at your screen and tell them wha you think happened.

I have been cooking and serving us meals for years. its something we all do all the time,why should I pay someone to do it?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow