LDG

translated copy birth certificate not returned?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

My now wife entered the US with K1 visa and the sealed envelope from the embassy. We'll be getting her SSN and ID card this week and planned on preparing the AOS paperwork. I noticed this process requires her birth certificate copy again, translated. She gave this along with other translated and notarized documents to the embassy and didn't get this back from her K1 visa interview in Guangzhou. She wasn't given anything back from the POE officer out of the sealed envelope either, other than vaccination information and a small sealed envelope addressed to USCIS given to her by the doctor in Guangzhou (im not too sure what this is either, i think medical also, POE officer didnt need it).

Her birth certificate is in her parents home back in China. She forgot to bring it along. Is another translated copy of this absolutely necessary, doesn't USCIS keep these documents? We'd hate to lose more money getting another translation done. Was she supposed to get this stuff back after the interview?

Thanks for any advice.

~Our AOS Timeline~

2010-Nov-01 Packet submitted (AOS, EAD, AP)

2010-11-03 USPS delivered

2010-11-08 E-notifications received w/ receipt numbers. Check cashed.

2010-11-12 Received NOAs

2010-11-18 Received biometrics appointment letter (12/08 08:00)

2010-12-08 Biometrics completed

2011-01-08 Rec'd NOA for I-485 interview appointment (02/23 10:30)

2011-01-14 Rec'd E-notices for both AP/EAD: AP approved & EAD in production.

2011-01-18 Rec'd E-notices: EAD approved (? was in production stage before)

2011-01-18 Received I-512L AP documents! (postmrkd 1/12)

2011-01-20 Received EAD card! (postmrkd 1/14)

2011-02-23 AOS Interview - APPROVED!

2011-03-03 Received wife's Permanent Resident Card~

2012-11-23 First day we can file to remove conditions

~Our K1 Timeline~

2010-Mar-05 I-129f sent

2010-03-16 NOA1

2010-05-12 NOA2

2010-05-20 @ NVC

2010-05-25 @ Guangzhou Consulate

2010-05-27 Packet 3 Rcvd

2010-05-29 Packet 3 Sent

2010-06-17 Packet 4 mailed out according to DOS

2010-06-24 Fiancee rec'd P4

2010-07-22 Medical exam

2010-07-26 Interview (Pink!)

2010-07-29 VISA via EMS (Happy day!)

2010-08-30 Trip to China, traditional ceremony, unofficial

2010-09-17 POE

2010-09-20 Married! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are many situations in which you can adjust your status... not all of them will have previously provided documents. The best answer is to simply give them what they want... don't trust they will look for something in a file if you do not provide

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Documents submitted become part of a person's file.

I just sent another copy of a translated divorce decree with my wife's Naturalization. Always a good idea to have multiple's ready. Most times you are only going to submit a copy, but want to have an original at the interview(s) in case an interviewing officer wants to inspect.

My suggestion is to get a couple more official birth cert's along with certified translations. That way you always have one.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If I were in yer shoes -

I'd only submit a photocopy of that white book, with a written request for them to return the original to you.

Yer lass hand-carried all in the sealed envelope - I'm surprised you not write any phrasing 'she asked for it back, and they refused'. There were 2 opportunities to get it back - interview day and POE.

Now, IIRC, it doesn't matter - just include a photocopy on AOS submittal.

and that's it !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.