SupastarsaM

Rep. Sanchez: 'Vietnamese' trying to take seat

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

http://www.ocregister.com/news/vietnamese-267844-sanchez-tran.html

emocratic Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez, D-Santa Ana, said in a recent Spanish-language interview that "the Vietnamese" and Republicans are trying to wrest control of her seat in Congress, from which "we have done so much for our community."

Her opponent, Republican Assemblyman Van Tran – who immigrated from Vietnam -- asked for an apology Thursday. He described Sanchez’s remarks as “offensive and wrong.”

Sanchez, D-Santa Ana, is facing her toughest re-election challenge in years, separated in polls by only a few percentage points from Tran. Her reference to “the Vietnamese” has bounced around the blogosphere in recent days and fired up talk radio.

"During the interview," her campaign said in a written statement, "Rep. Sanchez was referencing those in the Vietnamese community who are supporting her opponent."

The Van Tran campaign pounced. "Her attack against immigrants and the Vietnamese community on national television is shocking," campaign manager George Andrews said. "The 47th congressional district belongs to the people and not an individual ethnicity."

(Click here to read full statements from both campaigns.)

Sanchez made the remark during an interview last week with broadcaster Jorge Ramos on the Spanish-language television station Univision. She acknowledged during the interview that she is only "two or three points" ahead of Tran and then said, in Spanish:

"The Vietnamese and the Republicans are, with an intensity, (trying) to take this seat – this seat (from which) we have done so much for our community – to take this seat and give it to this Van Tran, who is very anti-immigrant and very anti-Hispanic."

Tran himself is an immigrant, having escaped Vietnam with his family shortly before the fall of Saigon. He has said he believes his immigrant past gives him an advantage in the central Orange County district.

Nearly half of the district's residents were born outside of the United States, according to the most-recent Census estimates, from 2008. The district is almost 70 percent Hispanic, although the Vietnamese community has been growing and now represents about 9.5 percent of the population.

Contact the writer: 714-704-3777 or dirving@ocregister.com

----did some researching and found out that the lady had ran twice before and lost. She changed her name back to Sanchez and won in the late 2000's-----

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

she seems dirty.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I was pretty upset after reading the article. I lived in the Santa Ana area for a year when I was young. I still go to Westminister and Garden Grove every now and then. My step dad worked as a mechanic in Westminister. I can say that the Vietnamese pretty much saved that town by opening up business and bringing in tax dollars. Santa Ana was and is still a dump last time i passed through two years ago.

I so much want to comment on this but want to stay unbanned for awhile.

I bet you're quite upset. I say let all your friends know. I let all my Viet friends know just in case they have family or friends in OC.

I so much want to comment on this but want to stay unbanned for awhile.

Me too.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Topic moved from Off Topic to Politics and Religion.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/145-politics-and-religion/

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

What is pocha Spanish?

... Sanchez tells Ramos in pocha Spanish that Democrats might not come out to vote, thereby sealing a comeback for the GOP. It's especially worrisome for her, she says, because "the Vietnamese and the Republicans are--with an intensity (emphasis hers)--trying to take away this seat, this seat that we [Democrats] have done so much for our community, take away this seat from us and give it to this Van Tran, who's very anti-immigrant and very anti-Latino."

I won't dispute Loretta's characterization of Tran, but seriously, Loretta: "Vietnamese" are trying to take your seat? Whither Phu Nguyen? Whither Bao Nguyen? Whither the Vietnamese you try to court by wearing ill-fitting ao dais at a Paris by Night production? GREAT sound bite to recruit more Viets for your campaign. ¡Tan pendeja que eres!

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/politics/loretta-sanchez-on-unvision-vi/

Democratic Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez, D-Santa Ana, said in a recent Spanish-language interview that "the Vietnamese" and Republicans are trying to wrest control of her seat in Congress, from which "we have done so much for our community."

Hispanics being racist, this cannot possibly be true. You lie!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.