Seven

Declare money

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everybody!

I wasn't sure in what forum section this topic would fit. In this case the issue is regarding the entry to the USA in my case under a K1.

With my job savings and wedding gifts my family did to me I probably bring 30.000 usd or so cash with me. I will have a form declaring all that money from Spain. How do I have to declare it when I'm at the POE? I don't want to lose my money and I want to make sure what exactly i will have to do in order there's no problem. However, does the declaration of money have any cost?

Thank you in advance and God bless!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Would it not be easier (and safer!) to do a bank transfer?

In any case, I believe all you need to do is check the little box on the custom for stating you are bringing more than 10'000. They will then most likely ask to see/ count the money.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I asked about the money transfer and I would have to declare it anyways...As well my fiance would have to justify that amount of money since can be considered as money coming from any type of traffic. That's why i thought it would be easier if i carry it with me but then i do have this questions

You would use CBP form FINCEN 105 - (4790). (if you are carrying anything over $10K USD)

There is no charge - however, if you do not declare it, and they find it, you lose it.

Source

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Anything of 10,000 or more must be declared. This started way back in the 1980's or so to prevent money laundering, illegal income, etc. Even a US citizen who makes a deposit of $10,000 must fill a special form. I remember when it first started I was working as a manager and went to make the business deposit (for a national video rental chain) and I had to fill a form explaining about where the money came from.

Timeline

Hello everybody again!

First of all thank you for the people who has replied. After 4 hours of waitings on the phone and calls here and there a very kind woman from CBP gave me the phone number of the CBP supervisor from the first american airport I will be in. This man (very kind too) told me that I won't have any problem, I will just have to file this form called FinCen 105 at the POE and be accurate with the amount of money I'm carrying. He said that declare it is taxes free and no duty has to be paid. I asked him if I had to justify somehow where that money comes from and he said no. In addition, he told me that since I'm moving under a K1 is understandable that I move my stuff and need all my money too so isn't the same as if I'm visiting and carrying a big amount of money.

Just to let people know if someone find themselves in the same situation.

Thank you again and I just hope now I have an smooth trip.

God bless :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.