^_^

As Texas encourages minorities to take the SAT, average scores drop

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The study was conducted by the Harvard Educational Review. Perhaps you'd like to point out how they 'skewed' the study?

And they would not be interested in making excuses for American educators? :rofl: You mean Harvard would not want to promote the system that makes them wealthy and prestigious?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

(this will miff the by-birth Canucks, as well as two mods)

Also for LM: I would love to see a study of how Canucks would fare on SAT's if they had to take them (they may to get admission to US colleges/universities directly from high-school--but certainly not to Canada-side ones), given that their "culture" is barely different from that of their southern neighbour (I personally suspect they would tank). :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline

Also for LM: I would love to see a study of how Canucks would fare on SAT's if they had to take them (they may to get admission to US colleges/universities directly from high-school--but certainly not to Canada-side ones), given that their "culture" is barely different from that of their southern neighbour (I personally suspect they would tank). :lol:

Why do you suspect that? I know a few people who have gone through schooling and college in Canada and all of them seem quite bright (albeit a tad lazy... must be a Canadian thing).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The SATs are all about knowing how to take them. Even with training though, some people are just never going to get it. I worked as an SAT tutor and my students, even though they were paying many thousands of dollars to be coached, made the most miserably small improvements. I only taught white kids though, which might explain the poor performance.

You'd think with the highest levels of hand-holding, some of these rich caucasian suburbanites would excel more. Alas, some cultures are just lazier and more entitled than others. I expect some of them have had to settle for their second choice legacy college and might eventually be forced to keep only one yacht. Or a yacht and a smaller motorboat, for shorter jaunts and cruising.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wouldn't this be trolling and or baiting? Reported.

The SATs are all about knowing how to take them. Even with training though, some people are just never going to get it. I worked as an SAT tutor and my students, even though they were paying many thousands of dollars to be coached, made the most miserably small improvements. I only taught white kids though, which might explain the poor performance.

You'd think with the highest levels of hand-holding, some of these rich caucasian suburbanites would excel more. Alas, some cultures are just lazier and more entitled than others. I expect some of them have had to settle for their second choice legacy college and might eventually be forced to keep only one yacht. Or a yacht and a smaller motorboat, for shorter jaunts and cruising.

What is the world coming to, when a nice young man like that has to settle for just one yacht? This is not the America the founding fathers dreamed of. It's a shame :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

<<<<since black students are less likely than white students to attend well-financed, generously-staffed elementary and secondary schools, their scores lag.>>>>>

Are we living in 1970?

Every place I have lived, Schools with a higher percentage of low income students get much more funding.

Why don't you check your local and I'll bet you will find the same thing.

Since Washington DC is at or near the highest per student spending, do their SAT scores bear this "advantage" out?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Every place I have lived, Schools with a higher percentage of low income students get much more funding.

I don't know about Kalifornia, but this is certainly true here in New Jersey. The poorest districts make a killing and yet manage to have the dumbest students, year after year.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What is the world coming to, when a nice young man like that has to settle for just one yacht? This is not the America the founding fathers dreamed of. It's a shame :(

It's the seafaring contingent who suffers the most. Also eccentric personal zoo-havers. Time was you could get a nice Siberian tiger for your Central Asia enclosure. Now see what they have to make do with: a couple of camels and a binturong. They say things like, "No, we're doing great! Once you binturong, you'll never go back." But you can see a sadness in their eyes.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Why do you suspect that? I know a few people who have gone through schooling and college in Canada and all of them seem quite bright (albeit a tad lazy... must be a Canadian thing).
Those you know are a selected few of those who have done schooling/college in Canada--basically the extreme similarity of "culture", :lol:, is enough to suggest a similarity in scores.
Are we living in 1970?

Why don't you check your local and I'll bet you will find the same thing.

Since Washington DC is at or near the highest per student spending, do their SAT scores bear this "advantage" out?

Were you being sarky/rhetorical with that question, Danno?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Is Texas better off with the SAT candidate pool being less diverse if that means higher average scores? Or is it preferable to have wider participation even if it means a lowering of test scores? Discuss.

That's pretty depressing, since the SAT questions have already been dumbed down quite a bit over the last decade and a half.