nanggroe

Non-English Speaker at Houston PoE

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm having a situation here and need your help...

My mother is planning to visit me sometimes in November to attend my labor - this would be her first visit to the U.S.

The problem is, she will travel alone and she doesn't speak English at all - she speak Indonesian Language.

I wonder if this could be a big problem at Houston port of entry??? Is there anyone from you know a story about non-English speaker in Houston port of entry?? Please share...

Nanggroe

My mother is planning to visit me sometimes in November to attend my labor - this would be her first visit to the U.S.

The problem is, she will travel alone and she doesn't speak English at all - she speak Indonesian Language.

I wonder if this could be a big problem at Houston port of entry??? Is there anyone from you know a story about non-English speaker in Houston port of entry?? Please share...

Nanggroe

There are usually translators at the airport. Have her carry with her a note that says "I don't speak English. I would need an Indonesian translator, please."

Nanggroe

Make sure to write down all her connecting flights on a piece of paper so she can get some assistance if transferring flights.

Also, write a one-page letter explaining that mother does not speak English and will need assistance at her destination airport for immigration. Definitely include your names, phone numbers and address where she will be staying if/when border officer asks about so that they can call you. Also state the reason of the visit as every visitor is asked this.

In most countries for flights going to the US there are double security checks and visitors have to answer questions on who packed their suitcase, did they leave it unattended for any period of time, what are they bringing to the US (if gifts, those can't be wrapped at all), address where they will be staying in the US.

There is also an option to request wheelchair for your mom from originating airport to the final destination - mom would be in the wheelchair at boarding and on deplaning and will at all times at the airport have an assistant helping her - so through getting on the flight through immigration. This can be set up as part of the ticket - you do have to pay some sort of fee.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

There is also an option to request wheelchair for your mom from originating airport to the final destination - mom would be in the wheelchair at boarding and on deplaning and will at all times at the airport have an assistant helping her - so through getting on the flight through immigration. This can be set up as part of the ticket - you do have to pay some sort of fee.

That's sneaky!! I LOVE IT!! :D

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

That's sneaky!! I LOVE IT!! :D

I've seen it used often when people have older relatives come for a visit - especially if relatives don't speak any English. Perfectly legit to use the service (and pay for it).

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Mum used it, no charge.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Many thanks guys... I emailed Houston Airport System and a representative asked me to request help from the airlines (for non-English speaker + wheelchair)... He said it happen in daily basis that a non-English speaker entering the U.S. As long as they come with a good reason (legal and everything) then there should be no problem... He remained me to help my mother to prepare a declaration form for her stuff... that's it..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.