Jared and May

EAD Q

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a question.. My wife received the EAD @ JFK and we're filing her AOS next week. If she gets a part-time job can she continue to work past the 90 day expiration of the EAD stamp @ JFK?

Or must she stop working and then wait until we get the AOS EAD?

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
28-Sep-2010 Mailed AOS packet via Express Mail
29-Sep-2010 Received @ Chicago Lockbox
18-Oct-2010 Received 797C NOA for Biometrics appointment
22-Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment (orig sched for 10/28)
29-Oct 2010 RFE (missing signature)
03-Nov Received RFE @ Chicago Lockbox
17-Nov Case transferred to California
24-Nov "Touched" Now being processed at USCIS office
30-Nov "Touched again"
03-Dec May calls Senator Joe Courtney's office for help getting EAD/AP approved
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
16-Dec EAD Approved (SMS/E-mail) USCIS indicates it was approved yesterday?
18-Dec EAD Card arrived in mail
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

31-May 2013 10yr GC approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That stamp is not enough for a K1 holder to be employable. She needs the EAD.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Really? So what value does getting the EAD stamp in JFK hold?

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
28-Sep-2010 Mailed AOS packet via Express Mail
29-Sep-2010 Received @ Chicago Lockbox
18-Oct-2010 Received 797C NOA for Biometrics appointment
22-Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment (orig sched for 10/28)
29-Oct 2010 RFE (missing signature)
03-Nov Received RFE @ Chicago Lockbox
17-Nov Case transferred to California
24-Nov "Touched" Now being processed at USCIS office
30-Nov "Touched again"
03-Dec May calls Senator Joe Courtney's office for help getting EAD/AP approved
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
16-Dec EAD Approved (SMS/E-mail) USCIS indicates it was approved yesterday?
18-Dec EAD Card arrived in mail
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

31-May 2013 10yr GC approved

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

That stamp is not enough for a K1 holder to be employable. She needs the EAD.

The EAD stamp that JFK gives is sufficient according to the SSA agent that processed L's SSN application. (L doesn't have one, but I was curious.) The EAD is also sufficient.

In either case, the eligibility expires 90 days after POE, unless you have married and gotten your EAD from the AOS. So, if you're planning on getting married and AOS the first month, you'll have no problems transitioning, though you'll have to update your information with your employer.

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Just a question.. My wife received the EAD @ JFK and we're filing her AOS next week. If she gets a part-time job can she continue to work past the 90 day expiration of the EAD stamp @ JFK?

Or must she stop working and then wait until we get the AOS EAD?

If my wife had the stamp from JFK and wanted to work, then she would have a part time job and using the JFK stamp as her EAD.

Just like when she has a 90 entry visa on her visa to USA. Many people wait till the last month before marriage, and then when they file the AOS the 90 day entry visa has expired.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The validity of the stamp at JFK was caused by confusion in the language of the law that was cleared up in early 2009 and the stamp with a K! visa is NOT good enough to use to work. You are free to apply for an EAD based on the K1, it takes about 75 days to process and time to produce so it should arrive on the day it expires. And that would be at cost of 400+ dollars. In fact the K1 and the stamp were never really supposed to be good enough to authorize work but the way things were written sometimes an employer could have assumed it was. Now there is no assumption as it does not fly with E verify for employment. The Social security regulation make mention of K1 and work in the same paragraph but they have no authority to authorize work. The SSN you receive will have on it valid for work with DHS authorization which means a EAD card or a green card. Older member have a bad habit of speeding misinformation about how things were but they are no longer that way.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

The validity of the stamp at JFK was caused by confusion in the language of the law that was cleared up in early 2009 and the stamp with a K! visa is NOT good enough to use to work. You are free to apply for an EAD based on the K1, it takes about 75 days to process and time to produce so it should arrive on the day it expires. And that would be at cost of 400+ dollars. In fact the K1 and the stamp were never really supposed to be good enough to authorize work but the way things were written sometimes an employer could have assumed it was. Now there is no assumption as it does not fly with E verify for employment. The Social security regulation make mention of K1 and work in the same paragraph but they have no authority to authorize work. The SSN you receive will have on it valid for work with DHS authorization which means a EAD card or a green card. Older member have a bad habit of speeding misinformation about how things were but they are no longer that way.

I am well aware of stamp and the confusion.

If it were me I would go ahead and let my wife work with a EAD Stamp.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Why get an EAD all the folks that come here south of the border work and have no documentation:hehe:

Hey it is tax free income also.

Once you get the conditional green card you no longer need an EAD. So why beat a dead horse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.