jwbthailand

Need some help!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife came here on a K-1 visa and now we are ready and she is finally willing to become a citizen...for the longest time she didn't want to give up being "Thai" in anyway. Now. we are ready to start the paper work and we just found out my wife is pregnant. She is only 6 weeks. I'm in a bit of a fix because I'm gonna have to send her back to Thailand to have the baby due to lossing our insurance as a result of being laid off. I looked into CHP+ and medicare but she doesn't meet the 5 years rule for benifitts, she has been in the USA for 4 years married to me, I'm the K-1 sponsor too.

My concerns: She may be in Thailand for up to 10 months for birth and care of our child before she/he is ready to come back to the USA. How does this affect her becomming a citizen and her re-entry to the states?

Since, she will have our child overseas what is the procedure for me to declare him/her a USA citizen? I will join her for the last 2 months of her pregnancy and his/her birth!

Thanks for the help!

Her best bet might be to file for citizenship (for my wife approval was given within 3 months of N-400 being sent--but due to having name-change packaged with N-400, swear-in was delayed another 4, for a total of 7 months) and then apply for US passport--and THEN fly to Thailand for delivery. In that case, you can go to the US Embassy in Bangkok and the process for registering the birth of a new US-citizen abroad will be "straightforward".

(btw, Thailand allows dual-citizenship--so she could still use unexpired Thai passport to enter Thailand).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife came here on a K-1 visa and now we are ready and she is finally willing to become a citizen...for the longest time she didn't want to give up being "Thai" in anyway. Now. we are ready to start the paper work and we just found out my wife is pregnant. She is only 6 weeks. I'm in a bit of a fix because I'm gonna have to send her back to Thailand to have the baby due to lossing our insurance as a result of being laid off. I looked into CHP+ and medicare but she doesn't meet the 5 years rule for benifitts, she has been in the USA for 4 years married to me, I'm the K-1 sponsor too.

My concerns: She may be in Thailand for up to 10 months for birth and care of our child before she/he is ready to come back to the USA. How does this affect her becomming a citizen and her re-entry to the states?

Since, she will have our child overseas what is the procedure for me to declare him/her a USA citizen? I will join her for the last 2 months of her pregnancy and his/her birth!

Thanks for the help!

You can keep your insurance, and so can your wife (assuming she was on your plan) thanks to COBRA. You should receive something in the mail less than a month after your last day. If you did not, contact your employer &/or health provider. No need to send her back to Thailand.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

(btw, Thailand allows dual-citizenship--so she could still use unexpired Thai passport to enter Thailand).

She should avoid using a foreign passport when entering & leaving Thailand as long as she is a citizen of Thailand. Also, she may return to Thailand on her Thai passport even if it is expired.

Timeline

You can keep your insurance, and so can your wife (assuming she was on your plan) thanks to COBRA. You should receive something in the mail less than a month after your last day. If you did not, contact your employer &/or health provider. No need to send her back to Thailand.

In hind sight it was stupid...but back 8 months ago I turned it down then applied for new coverage that didn't cover maternity and cost far far less! Pregnancy wasn't planned now I'm shooting from the hip! She has to go back to Thailand to have the baby...I don't see another way!

Timeline

In hind sight it was stupid...but back 8 months ago I turned it down then applied for new coverage that didn't cover maternity and cost far far less! Pregnancy wasn't planned now I'm shooting from the hip! She has to go back to Thailand to have the baby...I don't see another way!

doh!

Filed: Other Timeline

For at least 5000 years people have given birth without the need of health insurance. To this day many people throughout the World give birth outside a hospital and it is actually argued that this is a better way than being exposed to drugs, the dangers of a Cesarian and the overly-motivated doctors who need to make money for the for-profit hospital by doing anything possible to crank up the bill.

I was born home and so was my brother and I know people who were born in the bathtub. All that's needed is a midwife. No health insurance needed, no plane ticket to a foreign country either.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How soon does your wife want to return to Thailand? If you apply for citizenship now, you may be done in good time for the birth, but it depends where you live.

Just Bob: good homebirth midwives run 3000+ dollars too, plus supplies, plus prenatal care...

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Once she is a citizen, no requirement on length of time to qualify for benefits.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Agree with milimelo. If she applies for citizenship, once she is done, she can have medicare and CHP+. In the mean time, look for local midwifery services, those are generally cheaper than OBGYN.

http://mana.org/

http://www.mothersnaturally.org/midwives/findAMidwife.php

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Mom decided to have me at home with he help of her sister. From what I was told, her sister didn't have the nerve to cut the cord, so called a doctor that came over and charged ten bucks for it. As a bonus, filled out and registered my birth certificate.

My 30 year old son cost me 460 bucks for a package for prenatal care, delivery, and a two day hospital stay that wasn't really necessary, but they started doing that for some kind of observation. My granddaughter cost $16,200.00 today for the same thing. But they had a 20% copay so only had to lay out $3,400.00. Son wanted us there, daughter-in-law wanted her parents there, we changed her diapers, Daughter-in-law nurse her, every 3-4 hours the nurses came in and said they had to take Amber and run some checks, but were back with her in less than ten minutes. Ambers share at that hospital was around $3,500.00 of that $16,200.00 for those two short days. Son showed me the bill.

One strong advantage of going to a hospital, well always say there is a risk in child birth, but likewise a risk whenever you get into your car, is they can give anesthetics to ease the birth pains. Learned on my first trip to Venezuela, I could buy any of that stuff in any drug store, but certainly extremely illegal here. My daughter-in-law was ready to come home after the birth, but had to stay in that noisy place, kept on asking her doctor, why can't I go home?

So its ####### like this in the so-called freest nation in the world that causes desperate situations to the likes of jwbthailand. While the cost of health insurance was addressed, not a damn thing was said about how the rates have drastically outrageously increased even over the last 30 years. And if a mom does decide to have a baby at home and something does go wrong, criminal charges will be brought against her.

Also not a damn thing was said that millions of our jobs have been exported and mainly to countries that cause us a lot of grief and tariff free, unlike our allies where our government charges huge tariffs. For all I know with this national security BS, we are being blackmailed by these countries. But we did whip their butts at one time, but if they decide to attack us today, we would be screwed, they now have a huge hunk of our industry that was the only thing that saved us in the past. I shake my head as to what is going on today.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Talking to my wife about this, she works for the hospital and says there is a special pregnancy Medicaid program that takes car of all prenatal care and good for six weeks after the child is born. They have people that work for the hospital that deal with stuff like this, even help you fill out the forms and deal directly with Medicaid. To the best of my knowledge, applying for Medicaid is exempt from the I-864 if your situation requires it.

Just call your local hospital for assistance. Wife tells me a lot of woman use this program that do not have health insurance, you sure in the hell don't get health insurance working for the likes of Wal-Mart! It is very important that you be with your wife when your child is born. And just recently looking at the current airline rates, tickets are not exactly free either, matter of fact, another area where we are being robbed, many have more than doubled in price over the last couple of years.

There is also a Wick program where your baby can get proper food and medical care at no charge to you that my wife told me about. Call your hospital, call social services and see what happens. And apply for US citizenship for your wife, that really frees you from that nasty I-864.

Timeline

Nick D thanks for the info..I'll check it out with the hospitals.

As for midwivies and birth in home...My wife is rather small and a ceserean most likely will be the ticket...she will try vaginal birthing but odds aren't with her there. Then place a price tag of around 5,000 without any issues! Gives me pause!

I am looking over the citizen route but the times are around 6 months: If we got held up or denied this might place my wife on a 28 hour plane to Thailand during her third trimester..bad idea! If it worked out, Awesome!!! But I'm not sure I want to make such a gamble with USCIS...can you blame me?

My plan, "Send my wife to Thailand to be with her mother, grandmother, father, sisters and friends around the end of her first trimester...stay in our house by the hospital and have our child there for under $1500.00 US spending up to 5 nights in the hospital with doctors and nurses, and with a price that includes ceserean if needed! I plan to travel to Thailand during month 7/8 and stay through the birth! I have built up enough FF miles to cover both tickets. The only thing that sucks about this is I will be away from my pregnant wife for 5 months. However, I'll be working in a job that has me killin it for 80 hours a week out of town(secured resent)but doesn't have insurance...yet pays really well. The job is seasonal so I will be able to get to Thailand during the end of her 7th month! It's not all perfect but seems well thought out especially with my wife being with her family and friends and me being able to finance it all.

I do have concerns: This is what I need help with? *****Please help answer these questions********

Edited by jwbthailand

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Citizenship process at Denver, CO does not take 6 months, it's only around 4 months. Could you please explain what are the reasons of thinking why your wife's application would be denied?

Citizenship Timelines

Notes: [Filters: Service Center = Denver CO, Country = All] [Not Sorted]

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?cfl=0&op1=&op2=&op3=&op4=1&op5=5,10,11&op6=All&op7=Denver%20CO

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/244713-n-400-march-2010-applicants/page__st__285

DenverCO

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/254269-n-400-may-2010-applicants/page__st__270

csoul

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.