roborob

B1/B1 Visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiance has had a B1/B2 multi-entry visa for 2 years and has been to the U.S. 2 times on business and 2 times on pleasure. She owns her apartment in Ukraine and has a job in Ukraine. What is the fastest way to be together permanently? Is it better to get married and file the paperwork or to file for a fiance visa and then get married?

She bought a ticket to come here in 2 weeks. I would like to know the quickest way to be together the soonest permanently. If she wants to stay here for 6 months, what should she say to authorities when she enters the U.S? How will this affect the visa?

Thank you for your help!

Roborob

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiance has had a B1/B2 multi-entry visa for 2 years and has been to the U.S. 2 times on business and 2 times on pleasure. She owns her apartment in Ukraine and has a job in Ukraine. What is the fastest way to be together permanently? Is it better to get married and file the paperwork or to file for a fiance visa and then get married?

She bought a ticket to come here in 2 weeks. I would like to know the quickest way to be together the soonest permanently. If she wants to stay here for 6 months, what should she say to authorities when she enters the U.S? How will this affect the visa?

Thank you for your help!

Roborob

Her length of stay will be determined by what they put on her I-94. If she wants to stay 6 months she can ask for that.

The "best way" is up to you. I would suggest the CR-1 route since she is going to be here anyway. Just get married when she is here and file for it. She can stay here as long as they will allow and even travel back and forth with her current visa until it is approved. Once approved she will have a green card. She will have to return to Ukraine for the interview, medical exam etc. She should be able to wait out most of the time here with you on her B1 visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

That sounds right. I appreciate the quick reply.

So you are positive that she does not have to be out of the country while we are applying? Also, are you positive she does not have to be out of the country the same amount of time she has been here before getting approved or an interview?

This forum is awesome!

Timeline

That sounds right. I appreciate the quick reply.

So you are positive that she does not have to be out of the country while we are applying? Also, are you positive she does not have to be out of the country the same amount of time she has been here before getting approved or an interview?

This forum is awesome!

Absolutely positive. Read the I-129 and I-130 instructions all you want, there is no requirement for the applicant or petitioner to be in any particular place or country while the petition processes. YOU need to have a US address but you do not need to be living there. YOU could be in Australia, she could be in Japan, you could use your mother's address in Ohio and she will go to the interview in Russia (unless she is a permanent resident of Japan) She can be here while it is being processed for whatever time she is allowed to stay on her other visa. She WILL have to return for a medical exam and interview, she will also need to get a police report and other personal documents together for the process, which she can do before she comes here, or on her return trip.

She can. in theory anyway, be here for 6 months prior (generally the limit on a B1 visa) , while the petition is processing, fly back, go to the medical the next day, go to the interview the next day and return as soon as she has her visa in hand. In practical terms it would probably take a month to get everything ready, the police report itself is usually a 4 week wait and she has to file for it there. It is good for one year after issuance.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Alla - u r right, but you missed out a point. When she enters on B1/B2 she consenting that she has no intention to immigrate, which is not true since she would have I-129 or I-130 in here name, which means she is lying on B1/B2 while she enters US as a tourist.

So best option would be get married in US and then return back to home country and complete your CR1 process, and yes you might have to wait for 5-6 months for the VISA process to be complete, but thats for everyone so be patient and finish the process right way.

With her valid B1/B2 she can visit US while the process is going on, but it does not gurantee an entry officer at POE can send her back as she has dual intent.

I am telling you from personal experience as I was required to travel on B1/B2 while my application was in process, but I was travelling for work and consulate had specifically adviced me to let the officer on POE know that this was my work related trip and no more and I would return back to my home country to finish the process.

Timeline

Alla - u r right, but you missed out a point. When she enters on B1/B2 she consenting that she has no intention to immigrate, which is not true since she would have I-129 or I-130 in here name, which means she is lying on B1/B2 while she enters US as a tourist.

So best option would be get married in US and then return back to home country and complete your CR1 process, and yes you might have to wait for 5-6 months for the VISA process to be complete, but thats for everyone so be patient and finish the process right way.

With her valid B1/B2 she can visit US while the process is going on, but it does not gurantee an entry officer at POE can send her back as she has dual intent.

I am telling you from personal experience as I was required to travel on B1/B2 while my application was in process, but I was travelling for work and consulate had specifically adviced me to let the officer on POE know that this was my work related trip and no more and I would return back to my home country to finish the process.

They do not ask if you have any intent to immigrate...EVER!

She has no intention to immigrate upon THAT ENTRY AUTHORIZED BY THE B1/B2. Where is she misrepresenting? She is in NO WAY misrepresenting. Even if the I-129f was in process at that time, she would not be misrepresenting as she will LEAVE and re-enter on a K-1.

There is nothing at all under the table, misrepresenting, shaky, underhanded or otherwise about this. She is admitted on a B1/B2. She gets married while here (or files for a K1 while here) returns to her country when her B1 entry expires and returns when she has her K1...where is the issue? There is none.

You can look high and low, read it 6 ways from Sunday and there is absolutely NO restriction against what I am suggesting. I do not suggest people violate or play fast and loose, this is absolutely 100% legal and above board.

Not only that, but she can leave and return under the B1/B2 visa also. She will have to return to Ukraine for her interview, medical etc., and reenter with the CR-1 or K1 visa, but she can stay here as long as she is authorized by whatever visa she has.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

+1

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

She has no intention to immigrate upon THAT ENTRY AUTHORIZED BY THE B1/B2. Where is she misrepresenting? She is in NO WAY misrepresenting. Even if the I-129f was in process at that time, she would not be misrepresenting as she will LEAVE and re-enter on a K-1.

There is nothing at all under the table, misrepresenting, shaky, underhanded or otherwise about this. She is admitted on a B1/B2. She gets married while here (or files for a K1 while here) returns to her country when her B1 entry expires and returns when she has her K1...where is the issue? There is none.

You can look high and low, read it 6 ways from Sunday and there is absolutely NO restriction against what I am suggesting. I do not suggest people violate or play fast and loose, this is absolutely 100% legal and above board.

Not only that, but she can leave and return under the B1/B2 visa also. She will have to return to Ukraine for her interview, medical etc., and reenter with the CR-1 or K1 visa, but she can stay here as long as she is authorized by whatever visa she has.

:thumbs:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Can anyone please describe the required EMPLOYMENT DOCUMENTATION for applying for a B1 Business Visa (from Ukraine).

My girlfriend would like to attend a business seminar in the states. She works in advertising/marketing/events planning... but

"records" of her current employment are bit sketchy. She applied for a straight Tourist Visa some months ago (DEE-NIED) and

provided information from a previous employer (I think).

So I'm worried about the embassy calling/doing background checks on her actual current employment and finding out the

docs don't match the actual employer right now. (Not to mention my fears of when/if we apply for K1 and the docs don't match).

Anyways: The main question is: Can anyone really describe in detail how the embassy looks at the employment docs? Do the

call the employer? Do you need a letter from the employer sending you to the US for the seminar etc?

I've seen some of you who have SUCCESSFULLY gotten B1 Visas, can you describe the circumstances, conditions and process

you used to secure this Visa? How was the interview process / what docs did you provide / why were you coming to the US

for Business (was it to attend a seminar or training, or do just visit a business partner in the US etc?)

I'm very interested in finding out how we can bring her here for a week or two to attend a seminar, then of course spend time

together while she's here. She has a great job in Ukraine and is not ready for a K1 yet so we're looking at a B1.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

They do not ask you, but there is a section in your DS-160 where passenger mentioned why (s)he needed the B1/B2 visa and I am sure she did no put she wanted to migrate in there. So that would be a misrepresentation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.