Teffah

He never says sorry...

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello MENA ladies,

My husband and I get into tight discussions a lot. We have been married since May 9th, of this year and we are still learning more and more about each other everyday - as I would assume any typical marriage would. My husband, though, never wants to open up to me nor will he ever admit when he is wrong and then apologize. This drives me crazy. I am a very sensitive person and I understand completely when I have done something that is not ok and I have no problems with apologizing for my words/actions, etc. When I talk to him about specific things he will just say, "We don't so that there." Do your husbands still hold on to their lifestyle? Do they ever relax and enjoy life as it comes in the USA? My husband always tells me that Morocco is heaven and that he is now living in hell. We just recently received his EAD and working hard on finding him a job. He has had nothing to do since being here. When I ask if he would like to go somewhere, he never wants to leave. He just wants to sit on the computer or in front of the TV... I truly feel like I am trying hard to help him adjust, but I am afraid nothing will ever be as good as Morocco.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has your husband always been this way or just since coming to the US? Do you think he may be depressed because he's not working and maybe doesn't have any friends nearby besides you? As far as not apologizing that seems to be a personality trait not necessarily a MENA trait. I have to say that our first year of living together was mostly not great. I don't really have any advice other than try to hang in there and be patient. See if working and getting out of the house helps his attitude. It helped my husband but we still had a lot of work ahead of us before things really got better. I hope things do get better for you soon.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Has your husband always been this way or just since coming to the US? Do you think he may be depressed because he's not working and maybe doesn't have any friends nearby besides you? As far as not apologizing that seems to be a personality trait not necessarily a MENA trait. I have to say that our first year of living together was mostly not great. I don't really have any advice other than try to hang in there and be patient. See if working and getting out of the house helps his attitude. It helped my husband but we still had a lot of work ahead of us before things really got better. I hope things do get better for you soon.

Same for us. The first year was far from easy. I did see a major change in my husband when he started working. When he made a few friends, I noticed a positive change in him too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Hi Teresa,

My SO isn't here yet, but we lived together for a month and 1/2 this summer, just the two of us. What I can say from that experience is that their world there and our world here are so completely different. How we think about time, family, everything...it is all so different. We could be having a conversation about something and I think he understands what I am saying, but in reality he is coming from such a totally different perspective.

Bijad is probably going through culture shock. I remember when I was in France for some time. I loved it there, but at the same time, I felt like it was going to make me change who I was as a person, and I wasn't ready to do that. I was very open to "Do as the Romans Do" in Morocco, and as a result, I got pretty used to doing things their way, like staying inside most of the time. However, I can imagine for a man, who is used to do what he wants, his way, and having things a certain way, coming here is such a dramatic change. He has to adjust to life here, plus adjust to your way of doing things. He is making some big compromises in his life. Nothing is as he knows it and he doesn't want to lose his connection to who he knows himself to be.

All I can say is don't be hard on him for not admitting he is wrong or saying sorry. From his perspective, he might not be wrong at all. He is just looking at things in a totally different way than you are. I know a little how you are feeling about what seems like his intransigence. However, he may be looking at you the same way. That is what I found with us this summer. Ha ha. We both thought the other was being stubborn. You are still finding out about each other. Just try to love and support him as much as you can. Give him lots of love, and forgive him.

Lisa

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

Thanks for the response. I do not ever recall my husband being like this in Morocco. I really think it is an adjustment phase and I am trying to be as patient as I can be. I hope once he finds a job he will start to really experience life here in America. I can't get him out to meet anyone. He was very close to his parents and I know he misses them a lot! I am very understanding to his feelings but I can't ALWAYS put my feelings aside for him. I truly believe a relationship is two ways, not one way. I need him to step up to the plate a little bit and meet me half way. I do feel with time things will get better - I just want it NOW! I am so happy that he is here with me and that we are together, but I feel exhausted to know this is just the beginning of our travels.

Same for us. The first year was far from easy. I did see a major change in my husband when he started working. When he made a few friends, I noticed a positive change in him too.

Thank you for some confidence that our life will get better!!

welcome to the adjustment phase.

It does get better with time :)

Woohoo, thank goodness!

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

Timeline

Hi Teresa,

My SO isn't here yet, but we lived together for a month and 1/2 this summer, just the two of us. What I can say from that experience is that their world there and our world here are so completely different. How we think about time, family, everything...it is all so different. We could be having a conversation about something and I think he understands what I am saying, but in reality he is coming from such a totally different perspective.

Bijad is probably going through culture shock. I remember when I was in France for some time. I loved it there, but at the same time, I felt like it was going to make me change who I was as a person, and I wasn't ready to do that. I was very open to "Do as the Romans Do" in Morocco, and as a result, I got pretty used to doing things their way, like staying inside most of the time. However, I can imagine for a man, who is used to do what he wants, his way, and having things a certain way, coming here is such a dramatic change. He has to adjust to life here, plus adjust to your way of doing things. He is making some big compromises in his life. Nothing is as he knows it and he doesn't want to lose his connection to who he knows himself to be.

All I can say is don't be hard on him for not admitting he is wrong or saying sorry. From his perspective, he might not be wrong at all. He is just looking at things in a totally different way than you are. I know a little how you are feeling about what seems like his intransigence. However, he may be looking at you the same way. That is what I found with us this summer. Ha ha. We both thought the other was being stubborn. You are still finding out about each other. Just try to love and support him as much as you can. Give him lots of love, and forgive him.

Lisa

I always do forgive him, I love him terribly. I just wish he could be a little more sympathetic to his harsh attitude. He admits he is depressed here, and I know it must be harder than I could ever imagine. I try to get him out of the house and he won't go! Like this weekend there is a festival in town. It comes once a year and it is really well known. I said we could go a little before it was time for him to eat and then eat there - they always have yummy food, all kinds. And he won't go... he played soccer for awhile and then just decided he didn't want to play anymore. He was so alive when he played, I can't understand him. I know he wants to be here with me, but I also know he would prefer to be back in Morocco with me there also. It's a tough road but I know we will make it...

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

And also remember that in addition to the normal adjustment phase that he's also experiencing a huge holiday away from home. Ramadan is much different here ithan in Morocco. That could definitely be adding to any feelings of homesickness. If his not wanting to go out and do anything started during Ramadan I would guess it's connected to Ramadan. Has he found a mosque where he can participate in an Iftar one or a couple of nights a week and where he can go for Taraweh prayers during Ramadan?

All that being said there is also no excuse for being harsh to you. I hope this passes for you quickly!

Timeline

Like others have said it does sound like he is depressed and going through the adjustment phase. Does it get better? Yes most of the time but you'll need a load of patience. I think that on a whole expressing emotions and dealing with them is just not really done. For the longest time my husband felt that if we didn't talk about things it would just go away - which isn't true. We spent many days not talking to each other. Thank God he's finally gotten over that and realized that talking about our problems really helps. Might I suggest writing him a letter to talk about what you're feeling. That way he can understand and take time to digest it. My husband said that he always felt like I was attacking him which I wasn't but it was too much for him to handle when I would start talking. I never backed down and always expressed what I was feeling even if it was met by a brick wall - happy to say 5 years later things are much much better.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

When I was in Algeria, and we went out at night, I would see all the men sitting around at the cafes smoking, drinking coffee, and chatting. My husband and his friends would often do this after work...Sit there for hours and do too much of nothing, if you ask me. Not too long ago, my husband walked into a local Starbucks to grab an espresso. He was talking on his cell phone to a friend from Algeria. A man sitting nearby overheard him speaking Arabic, and asked him where he was from, and then asked him to sit down. As it turns out, this stranger was from Morocco. They had a nice chat, and he invited my husband to meet him back there the next day. My husband went back, and was introduced to yet another Moroccan. Now there's a group of them, three Moroccans and two Algerians, that meet for coffee on a regular basis.

These are the friends I was talking about when I mentioned the positive change I saw in my husband. He played soccer, he worked, I took him to fun and exciting places, but the coffee shop made the major difference. He gets to spend time with other guys, speak his language, and relax. It's just a small taste of home.

I don't know what your husband liked to do in Morocco. But, maybe there's something he can do every now and then that feels like home.

Edited by mahboula

Timeline

When I was in Algeria, and we went out at night, I would see all the men sitting around at the cafes smoking, drinking coffee, and chatting. My husband and his friends would often do this after work...Sit there for hours and do too much of nothing, if you ask me. Not too long ago, my husband walked into a local Starbucks to grab an espresso. He was talking on his cell phone to a friend from Algeria. A man sitting nearby overheard him speaking Arabic, and asked him where he was from, and then asked him to sit down. As it turns out, this stranger was from Morocco. They had a nice chat, and he invited my husband to meet him back there the next day. My husband went back, and was introduced to yet another Moroccan. Now there's a group of them, three Moroccans and two Algerians, that meet for coffee on a regular basis.

These are the friends I was talking about when I mentioned the positive change I saw in my husband. He played soccer, he worked, I took him to fun and exciting places, but the coffee shop made the major difference. He gets to spend time with other guys, speak his language, and relax. It's just a small taste of home.

I don't know what your husband liked to do in Morocco. But, maybe there's something he can do every now and then that feels like home.

Hey you did not mention my husband at all being friends with yours. PFFFTTTT Why you ignore your brother? :whistle:

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

Hey you did not mention my husband at all being friends with yours. PFFFTTTT Why you ignore your brother? :whistle:

So sorry. Rosie's husband is the best and the king of all friends :hehe: . It's too bad we don't live closer to each other.

Timeline

And also remember that in addition to the normal adjustment phase that he's also experiencing a huge holiday away from home. Ramadan is much different here ithan in Morocco. That could definitely be adding to any feelings of homesickness. If his not wanting to go out and do anything started during Ramadan I would guess it's connected to Ramadan. Has he found a mosque where he can participate in an Iftar one or a couple of nights a week and where he can go for Taraweh prayers during Ramadan?

All that being said there is also no excuse for being harsh to you. I hope this passes for you quickly!

He has never wanted to get out and explore our city. I live in Kansas City and there is a lot to offer! I have given him the website to our local Islamic Society and he refuses to go to the mosque or participate in their activities. My husband is from a very small village and they rarely go to the Mosque, so that is not something that he is used to anyways.

I know Ramadan here doesn't even come close in comparison to Ramadan in Morocco and it probably doesn't help that I am Christian. I do not fast with him, but I do not eat in from of him either. I respect my husband for who he is an individual and I support him in his decisions, including religion.

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

Timeline

Like others have said it does sound like he is depressed and going through the adjustment phase. Does it get better? Yes most of the time but you'll need a load of patience. I think that on a whole expressing emotions and dealing with them is just not really done. For the longest time my husband felt that if we didn't talk about things it would just go away - which isn't true. We spent many days not talking to each other. Thank God he's finally gotten over that and realized that talking about our problems really helps. Might I suggest writing him a letter to talk about what you're feeling. That way he can understand and take time to digest it. My husband said that he always felt like I was attacking him which I wasn't but it was too much for him to handle when I would start talking. I never backed down and always expressed what I was feeling even if it was met by a brick wall - happy to say 5 years later things are much much better.

I am just the opposite of my husband. I am one to communicate everything that is going on with myself including my feelings. He on the other hand doesn't want to talk about anything. I have tried to stress the importance of communication, but its like he just doesn't get it or doesn't care. I have written him emails expressing my feelings and thoughts and I never get a response or even an indication that he actually read it. I sure hope with time he comes to realize it is just easier to talk about the problem and move on instead of ignoring each other. I am always the one to start talking to him again and its like he gets by with his harsh attitude. I am a problem solver and I can't stand it when there is tension - I have to fix it.

I am not saying I am an angel, but I do admit when I am wrong and I am always willing to ask for forgiveness.

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

It was the same way for us the first year...life is different, work is hard to find, and people are not so friendly. We live in KC too, and my husband has found that even with his BA and plenty work experience; that people see he is from the middle east and suddenly he is nothing. The racism my husband has incurred played a big factor in not being happy here, also no family at all, and no friends. He spent a lot of time on the interent chatting with friends from home and watching tv. There are places around here you can find great phone cards to call Morocco :) which I found after spending way too much! ANd like your husband, he didn't like to go out much (we don;t do movies, restaurants, etc)- HOWEVER I took him to the city market downtown and he LOVED it, it was like home...a little. We went walking downtown to union station and explored some few places and he started to feel a little more relaxed. It's been two years now and things are getting better. He finds jobs easier, even though they are not the type he had in Morocco. If I can offer any suggestions about work places or anything else around KC if you need help let me know. The temp agencies are a great place to start around here, if he doesn't mind warehouse type work. It will get better I'm sure, KC is not the easiest place to feel at home (my husband constantly states he wants to move to NYC or Boston!). Also, there are plenty of halal stores around here for him to find meat and other things that may help him atleast feel that he is still following his religion. On September 10 is Eid, and there is the main prayer in KC for all the muslims to go to; you can find it on ISGKC.org; we went to that last year and my husband really felt good about that and is looking forward to this years prayer too. Good luck and just go with the flow, I know it's easier said than done. You can PM me if you need anything :)

CR1/AOS Timeline
12 JUNE 2015 - CR1/AOS/EAD/AP PACKET SENT
15 JUNE 2015 - CR1/AOS/EAD/AP PACKET DELIVERED TO USCIS (CHICAGO LOCKBOX)
22 JUNE 2015 - RECEIVED TEXT/EMAIL NOA1--CR1/AOS/EAD/AP
24 JUNE 2015 - CHECKS CASHED
27 JUNE 2015 - RECEIVED NOA1--CRI/AOS/EAD/AP (HARDCOPY)
03 JULY 2015 - Bio-metrics letter
17 JULY 2015 - Bio-metrics appt (done)
19 AUG 2015 - EAD/AP Approved via email
19 AUG 2015 - EAD New card is being produced!

28 SEP 2015 - AOS Interview appt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.