rh4stc

Social security no & US drivers licence on a student visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Just been exploring car insurance for when I (hopefully) come out in December to start school in Jan.

They will insure me without a ss number and on an international licence, but of course it is very expensive.

Just wondering if it is possible to go for a US drivers licence and social security number on a student visa to bring those costs down?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just been exploring car insurance for when I (hopefully) come out in December to start school in Jan.

They will insure me without a ss number and on an international licence, but of course it is very expensive.

Just wondering if it is possible to go for a US drivers licence and social security number on a student visa to bring those costs down?

It depends on the state. There isn't one law governing all state s. However what I can say is that I had a student visa in 2000 and I got a US DL now since then in Tennessee about 2006 the law was changed and now they will issue a driving certificates to those who does not reside in the US.

Solution- check the issuing state.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can get an SSN on a student visa, but you can only work on campus part time. The SSN will also have "Valid only with DHS authorization" You first need to speak to your DSO to get all the necessary paperwork for the SSN office

There is no US driver's licence. Each state determines the standards for a licence. Check with your local DOT

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You can get a SSN with a job on campus. Then you can get a license. Most states if not all will allow you to have a license. I had both when I was on F1.

AOS Timeline from F1

Sent AOS on April 17

Received and signed on April 19

Got 3 NOAs April 26

Biometrics Appointment Letter received May 1 - dated May 26

Walk-in biometrics rejected May 12

Biometrics Appointment May 26

Interview letter received June 11 - for July 19 APPROVED

EAD Received July 9

GC RECEIVED August 2

Thanks.

Checked the site for NJ and I can have one.

I'll check for the SSN site as well.

You WILL need to find a job to get a SSN. You employer will give you a letter stating you will be getting a job, you take that and other documents to Social Security then you get the card in about 2 weeks.

AOS Timeline from F1

Sent AOS on April 17

Received and signed on April 19

Got 3 NOAs April 26

Biometrics Appointment Letter received May 1 - dated May 26

Walk-in biometrics rejected May 12

Biometrics Appointment May 26

Interview letter received June 11 - for July 19 APPROVED

EAD Received July 9

GC RECEIVED August 2

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

rh4stc,

if you are in NJ you can get a driver's license without SS# (for example, if you are not working on campus yet) -- first you need to go to DMV agency and tell them, you want a DL and ask them to give you a letter for refusing to issue a DL due to not having a SS#. With that letter you will go to SS office and they'll let you fill out an application and with that DMV letter, they will issue a letter back 'attn:DMV' explaining why you can't get a SS#. With that letter you go back to DMV and they'll give you a NJ DL. It might be only for 1 year and 3 months, and after you'll have to renew, but it's worth it, and you'll get much-much cheaper insurance on your vehicle.

- and you can do this in 1 day (if the DMV and SS offices are nearby each other) -- we did it within a day (oh well, within 2, because you will have to do a NJ testing and then they've sent us to do a road test too -- with international DL). but it's do-able.

- and don't want to discourage you, but NJ insurance is one of the most expensive in all 50 states. Even if you will have a NJ DL, they will count on - your age, and how many years were you driving. less years - more-costly $$ insurance.

Edited by chillab

09/12/2011 N-400 Sent to Dallas, TX

09/15/2011 delivered to lock-box

09/20/2011 check cashed

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted the SS# to get a bank account, but it's not a train smash if I don't have one.

I looked on the NJ driving website and it looks like I don't need a SS# anyway, and can obtain an NJ licence relatively easily. Doesn't even say that taking a practical test is mandatory. Driving over here is much easier than driving in Europe, that's for sure!

As for insurance, wow, it is high. I got a quote from Cure just based on a crappy Ford Focus 2000 model, liability only and it came to just over $1000. Double what I pay fully comp on my convertible in France! But that was $1000 than geico and other similar companies. But cure insist I have a NJ licence before I even get the insurance. They don't take my previous 20 years of claim free insurance into account either. Oh well. Start again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

You don't need a SS# to open a bank account. Just a passport and proof of address. They should open a checking/savings account immediately and give you a debit card the very same day. (I Know TD Bank does it).

Yes, car insurance is high, unfortunately. Good luck to you!

09/12/2011 N-400 Sent to Dallas, TX

09/15/2011 delivered to lock-box

09/20/2011 check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Some banks may require a SSN, it is up to the bank to determine what their requirements are

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Here is your perfact solution :

1) For bank account ,you dont need any SSN. Just visit a bank and show them ur passport & I-20. Thats it. Told them i am a international student. And also you can get ur credit card at the same time. So apply for that too ,if u want then. They can issue a Student Platinum Credit card.

2)For SSN ,you need to first get a job in ur college or school(oncampus job) OR you have to get CPT. After that u can apply for SSN to SSA office. Some colleges issue a letter to anybody to get his/her SSN. But in NJ all schools & college requires a on campus job to get SSN.

3)For DL ,if you dont have any oncampus job & SSN then u have to go to SSA office,and get a "SSN Denided Letter".Then go to nearest DMV office with your passport,I-20 ,SSN denided letter, Any bank statemnet(for residence proof).By this way u can get ur DL.

I hope,i helped .As i was student in NJ and i did all above steps.

IR-5 for Parents

02-28-14 -> I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.
03-03-14 -> USCIS received. (Priority Date)
03-09-14 -> NOA1 received.
06-04-14 -> NOA2 received. Approved.
06-18-14 -> NVC Received case.
07-03-14 -> NVC Assigned Case#(Got Case# & IIN Over the Phone).
07-22-14 -> DS-261 Completed.
07-25-14 -> AOS fee Payment.
07-29-14 -> AOS fee shows PAID.
07-30-14 -> AOS Package Sent.
07-31-14 -> AOS Package delivered.
09-15-14 -> IV fee Payment.

09-17-14 -> IV fee Shows PAID.

09-18-14 -> IV Package Sent.
09-20-14 -> IV Package Delivered.

10-20-14 -> Case Complete.

10-28-14 -> Case Complete Email Received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.