Canuck Carrie

My annoying neighbor

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My neighbor across the street has decided that I am her public payphone, 2 or 3 times a day she will come over and ask to use our phone.

Now, I've been in a situation where I've had to use my neighbors phone, I had just moved into a place, didn't have phone hook-up and had to phone the landlord but these people have been there for months so that isn't the case.

I know she has/had a cell phone, I've seen her talking on it. I was nice about it at first, thinking maybe she had problems with her cell phone but it's been going on for over a month. I'm reluctant to say no since she has a toddler and there might be an emergency but she calls her friends or father and tells them to come over (I can hear her through the screen door).

It's now becoming a nuisance, she just rang the bell not 5 minutes ago but I didn't answer the door.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Timeline
My neighbor across the street has decided that I am her public payphone, 2 or 3 times a day she will come over and ask to use our phone.

Now, I've been in a situation where I've had to use my neighbors phone, I had just moved into a place, didn't have phone hook-up and had to phone the landlord but these people have been there for months so that isn't the case.

I know she has/had a cell phone, I've seen her talking on it. I was nice about it at first, thinking maybe she had problems with her cell phone but it's been going on for over a month. I'm reluctant to say no since she has a toddler and there might be an emergency but she calls her friends or father and tells them to come over (I can hear her through the screen door).

It's now becoming a nuisance, she just rang the bell not 5 minutes ago but I didn't answer the door.

Politely ask her why she does not have a phone. She might have a ligitimate reason

why she ask to use ur phone. If it's not killing you or costing money the set boundries

and be kind.....some day you might need her help.

I had a neighbour like this in the UK. It started off once a week, then it was daily and calling mobile phones. She'd also ask me to phone the police everytime she invited her ex into her home and then he refused to leave. One night she even took my cordless phone to her house to make a call and didn't return it til the next day!

I half jokingly said "I'm going to have to start charging you for all these calls", she said she felt so bad for keep having to ask and the next day bought me over a bottle of wine as a thank you.

It didn't deter her though! I did the same as you and pretended I was out alot or I'd answer the door pretending I was talking on the phone and she'd go and ask another neighbour. Another excuse I'd use was that I was awaiting an important call and wanted to keep the line free.

Maybe she'll get the message if she sees that she is inconveniencing you. Good luck!

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

methinks she is taking advantage :yes:

agreed. Why get a phone when you can mooch off your neighbor?

Buy an obnoxious phone.

7007_obj.jpg

WARNING!!! Adult phone!!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

methinks she is taking advantage :yes:

agreed. Why get a phone when you can mooch off your neighbor?

Buy an obnoxious phone.

7007_obj.jpg

WARNING!!! Adult phone!!!

Hahahaha i want one of those :devil:

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

i like the idea of answering the door as if you are talking on the phone! if it looks like they want to wait, just say its private and close the door! :)

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

I am in Texas, shotguns are accessories. Answering the door with one of those might give her a hint.

just kidding...

I think I've gone above and beyond with the friendly and helpful neighbor bit. I'll just tell her I cut off the phone because the grays were listening in. :alien:

But really, she should really get a phone since she has a toddler. Maybe her man broke it, he has a tendency to throw things, but that's a whole other topic....

Edited by Canuck Carrie

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
:jest::jest::jest:

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

But really, she should really get a phone since she has a toddler. Maybe her man broke it, he has a tendency to throw things, but that's a whole other topic....

Or maybe he has a tendency to beat her when he sees she's been talking to her friends/family/other people he doesn't like.

My first instinct is to agree with the "taking advantage" hypothesis, but I used to work with domestic violence victims, and there were a lot whose boyfriend/husband would beat them if he even thought they were talking to people he had "forbidden."

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Timeline

Or maybe he has a tendency to beat her when he sees she's been talking to her friends/family/other people he doesn't like.

My first instinct is to agree with the "taking advantage" hypothesis, but I used to work with domestic violence victims, and there were a lot whose boyfriend/husband would beat them if he even thought they were talking to people he had "forbidden."

I don't think he beats her, I see her every day in a tank top & shorts. She calls people to come over when he's home so she's not hiding anything from him, there's usually a few people over there hanging out. I'm not saying the guy isn't a class A chopf$%k from what I've seen of him, but I'm confident there isn't any physical abuse going on, verbal and emotional yes, but not physical.

I don't mind the phone thing every once in a while or for emergencies but it's getting a bit excessive, all my in-laws say 'taking advantage' but I'm too polite (Canadian) to tell her no. :blush: