12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well I found out where my wife's EAD Card is. Undeliverable! Seems like somebody screwed up. I just got off the phone with USCIS, hopefully it shows up soon.

On August 23, 2010, the post office returned your Card as undeliverable. We will hold it for 180 days from August 23, 2010 to allow you time to contact us. If you do not contact us at 1-800-375-5283 within 180 days, this document will be destroyed and you will need to file a new application or application for replacement with fee.

Double check your address on the forms you sent (since the EAD is usually sent prior to other documents).

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well I found out where my wife's EAD Card is. Undeliverable! Seems like somebody screwed up. I just got off the phone with USCIS, hopefully it shows up soon.

On August 23, 2010, the post office returned your Card as undeliverable. We will hold it for 180 days from August 23, 2010 to allow you time to contact us. If you do not contact us at 1-800-375-5283 within 180 days, this document will be destroyed and you will need to file a new application or application for replacement with fee.

Make sure your wifes name is on your mail box & registered at the U S post office. My daughters was sent back because I didnt have her name on the box. I went to USCIS to check & they said it would take at least 60 days to get it sent back. The card arrived the next day!

Timeline

Her RFE, AP, and Transfer to CSC papers all came to the mailbox without any problem, I don't know why this EAD was any different. Maybe it was a different carrier. I'm going to put her name on the box tonight.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Her RFE, AP, and Transfer to CSC papers all came to the mailbox without any problem, I don't know why this EAD was any different. Maybe it was a different carrier. I'm going to put her name on the box tonight.

It's a different form. Bobby was suggesting you might have gotten the address right on the other forms, but slipped up on the I-765. If you have a copy of the form you sent then you can check and see if you entered the correct address.

Make sure your wifes name is on your mail box & registered at the U S post office. My daughters was sent back because I didnt have her name on the box. I went to USCIS to check & they said it would take at least 60 days to get it sent back. The card arrived the next day!

I'm sorry, but this is a little silly. Unless there is a change of address on file, the post office will deliver mail as addressed, regardless of whose name is on the letter or the mailbox. You are not required to "register" your name and address with the post office, or paint your name on your mailbox, and they aren't supposed to return mail as undeliverable if you don't.

Mail carriers do occasionally screw up, and either deliver mail to the wrong address, or sort mail as undeliverable when it's not.

Anyway, I don't have a mailbox - I have a slot in my garage door. There are no names of any kind on the mail slot or the house, and nobody is "registered" with the post office. I've gotten every piece of mail that USCIS has sent to me, my wife, or her kids.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's a different form. Bobby was suggesting you might have gotten the address right on the other forms, but slipped up on the I-765. If you have a copy of the form you sent then you can check and see if you entered the correct address.

I'm sorry, but this is a little silly. Unless there is a change of address on file, the post office will deliver mail as addressed, regardless of whose name is on the letter or the mailbox. You are not required to "register" your name and address with the post office, or paint your name on your mailbox, and they aren't supposed to return mail as undeliverable if you don't.

Mail carriers do occasionally screw up, and either deliver mail to the wrong address, or sort mail as undeliverable when it's not.

Anyway, I don't have a mailbox - I have a slot in my garage door. There are no names of any kind on the mail slot or the house, and nobody is "registered" with the post office. I've gotten every piece of mail that USCIS has sent to me, my wife, or her kids.

Mail is my job we deliver to the address on the letter provided it is correct. if apartment number is missing or the zip code is bad we do send it back. if it needs signed for we hold for a minumum 10 days then a second notice is issued. unless it is registered or they pay to have a certain person sign, you can read the back and sign then put the date for re delivery to have it left at your house. they do not give us time any more to look up pieces with incomplete adresses or bad zip code. of course just talking to your letter carrier can help a lot. or just give the carrier a little something at Christmas like a card and $1.00 goes a long ways or even a bottle of water when its hot. it only takes a minute to talk to your carrier when important things are coming. some will even give you a ring when it shows up. we do what we can with the tools they give us and it seems they want every second out of us these days.

Timeline

It may seem silly to you & it would be great if you began running the post office where I live because my daughters documents were returned just as I said. The U S post office said I didnt inform them she was living at our house. Her last name is different than my married name. The post office put the names of those in our house inside our mail box near our house.

The day after I went to the post office to correct this her documents were delivered.

USCIS said they had been returned to the USCIS office. When I went to an Info Pass meeting to find out why this happened they said to make sure the post office had her name on file. They further said it would be at least 60 days until they returned the documents.

As I said the docs arrived the next day. Silly is hardly the word.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm not sure what it's like in other places, but my post office doesn't keep track of who lives where. They just deliver the mail to the address, no matter what the name is.

I still get mail for the resident who moved out of my place 3 years ago, because there was never a change of address.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Double check your address on the forms you sent (since the EAD is usually sent prior to other documents).

I looked at the form and I put the apt # at the end of the address line box instead of the box next to it. Seems like they should have figured that one out, but I suppose they're not paid to think.

Timeline

It may seem silly to you & it would be great if you began running the post office where I live because my daughters documents were returned just as I said. The U S post office said I didnt inform them she was living at our house. Her last name is different than my married name. The post office put the names of those in our house inside our mail box near our house.

The day after I went to the post office to correct this her documents were delivered.

USCIS said they had been returned to the USCIS office. When I went to an Info Pass meeting to find out why this happened they said to make sure the post office had her name on file. They further said it would be at least 60 days until they returned the documents.

As I said the docs arrived the next day. Silly is hardly the word.

Are you served by a rural post office? If so, your local postal manager may have specific rules for your route. This wouldn't apply to 99% of Americans.

I've checked the USPS website. I could find no policy, process, or form for registering your name and address with the post office as a matter of routine. There are specific cases where you might want to register your name and address, and there are specific forms for doing this. Change of address, premium forwarding service, mail for the deceased, etc. Nothing resembling "We'll return your mail as undeliverable if you don't fill out this form".

I've lived in over a dozen states, at more than three dozen addresses. I have never registered my name and address with the local post office, and I have never had the sort of delivery problems you describe. I've never even heard anyone mentioning doing such a thing until you posted about it.

Also, like "Мартышк+Мартышка" mentioned, I routinely get mail for people who don't live here anymore, including the people who owned the home over 10 years ago. The mail carrier doesn't know or care who lives at an address.

Timeline

Are you served by a rural post office? If so, your local postal manager may have specific rules for your route. This wouldn't apply to 99% of Americans.

I've checked the USPS website. I could find no policy, process, or form for registering your name and address with the post office as a matter of routine. There are specific cases where you might want to register your name and address, and there are specific forms for doing this. Change of address, premium forwarding service, mail for the deceased, etc. Nothing resembling "We'll return your mail as undeliverable if you don't fill out this form".

I've lived in over a dozen states, at more than three dozen addresses. I have never registered my name and address with the local post office, and I have never had the sort of delivery problems you describe. I've never even heard anyone mentioning doing such a thing until you posted about it.

Also, like "Мартышк+Мартышка" mentioned, I routinely get mail for people who don't live here anymore, including the people who owned the home over 10 years ago. The mail carrier doesn't know or care who lives at an address.

No we live in a city. I think this got out of control because we had a change of address & on that card I didnt put my daughters name. Her last name isnt the same as my married name. Even though I see the postal delivery man on many occasions & we are clearly Asian they wouldnt leave her USCIS mail. Other mail that came from her former school for example was delivered so we never thought about having a problem.

When I realised her documents should have come even after the typical long delays my husband double checked with USCIS to make sure they had recorded the change of address that he sent in & also called in just to be sure. USCIS said they had the correct info. We waited.

After another long wait we went to INFO PASS meeting. There we were told it must be the post office because they had our correct info including hers. They said the docs were back at USCIS & would be sent out again after 60 days to give us time to fix the address mistake at USPS.

We went to our post office that same day.They said we didnt have her name on file. My husband made out a new address card & turned it in. They said when USCIS returned the docs they would be delivered.

The very next day the docs were in the mail box! There was a card taped inside the box where they had put the old one but this one indicated our daughtes name as well. I know very little of this is correct or makes sense but it is what happened.

We also get mail sent to the women that owned this house years back. She died 5 years ago. We get letters from her lawyer, bank ect at times. AHer name isnt on the box either; just sent to this address.

My husband says its the Twilight Zone concept that affects the US government at times. He says there is a special music that we should hear. I dont get it.

I was trying to help the OP avoid anything like this.

Edited by Ning

Timeline

No we live in a city. I think this got out of control because we had a change of address & on that card I didnt put my daughters name. Her last name isnt the same as my married name. Even though I see the postal delivery man on many occasions & we are clearly Asian they wouldnt leave her USCIS mail. Other mail that came from her former school for example was delivered so we never thought about having a problem.

When I realised her documents should have come even after the typical long delays my husband double checked with USCIS to make sure they had recorded the change of address that he sent in & also called in just to be sure. USCIS said they had the correct info. We waited.

After another long wait we went to INFO PASS meeting. There we were told it must be the post office because they had our correct info including hers. They said the docs were back at USCIS & would be sent out again after 60 days to give us time to fix the address mistake at USPS.

We went to our post office that same day.They said we didnt have her name on file. My husband made out a new address card & turned it in. They said when USCIS returned the docs they would be delivered.

The very next day the docs were in the mail box! There was a card taped inside the box where they had put the old one but this one indicated our daughtes name as well. I know very little of this is correct or makes sense but it is what happened.

We also get mail sent to the women that owned this house years back. She died 5 years ago. We get letters from her lawyer, bank ect at times. AHer name isnt on the box either; just sent to this address.

My husband says its the Twilight Zone concept that affects the US government at times. He says there is a special music that we should hear. I dont get it.

I was trying to help the OP avoid anything like this.

Ok, that explains a lot. The change of address is what screwed them up. Usually, the screw up goes in the other direction. When I moved into my current home I filed a change of address, as did the people I bought my current home from. I still ended up having to go back to my old home once a week for a couple of months to pick up mail the post office failed to forward, and I had to hold mail I received that was addressed to the previous owners that the post office failed to forward. As far as I know, they never returned any of my mail as undeliverable.

From the OP's update, it sounds like his problem was that his apartment number was not properly entered on the form, so it was probably missing from the mailing address. Having his name on his mailbox might have actually helped. It depends on how diligent his mail carrier is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.