mspain

Security checks for MENA men in foreign consulates

44 posts in this topic

Most people who frequent this forum have been on AR/AP. In my journey we went through Montreal (with a "mena" man) and were on AR for 8 months. The advice is good advice, really. It's really disheartening to see people new to the process lash out at seasoned members suggesting we don't recall what the wait is like. I remember.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Most people who frequent this forum have been on AR/AP. In my journey we went through Montreal (with a "mena" man) and were on AR for 8 months. The advice is good advice, really. It's really disheartening to see people new to the process lash out at seasoned members suggesting we don't recall what the wait is like. I remember.

LAL, I was not referring to you. I think your comment was one of the ones for good advice. And I was not "lashing out" - I think it is sad that some people cant express their thoughts without being insensitive to others.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Timeline

Edited to add: to LaL, I just looked at your timeline, read your consular experience and I know you must have gone through alot. My point is, everyone is going through the same thing, and yes, I know I've only been in it six days, but they've been intense for me. I'm sure everyone who's been on AP has stories that they could tell about the frustration, anxiety, and pain of being separated. I think it's something that people ought to respect and I dont think it's right to make anyone feel bad about the way their dealing with their AP because it's tough no matter who you are, where you are, or whatever the situation.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Whoa hold on there. I'm not being judgmental but based on your posts you really need to cool it. I DO remember being on AP and names checks. I waited 4 mos. in AP. I didn't come here and have a temper tantrum about it after 6 days. If I'd have done that I'd have never made it. I also didn't act indignant and think it was my right to have no AP because others in my same position waited less. You'll get no where with that attitude.

What is with all the judgmental attitudes today? I appreciate those who have been supportive, but I am really wondering about several people on here. If you've never been on AP don't just tell me to get over it or stop comparing. If you have been on AP before, you obviously don't remember what it feels like to actually BE in AP. Just like every case is different, every person handles being in AP differently. The judgmental attitudes are really unnecessary and I'm very disappointed to see this kind of behavior going on when we are all in the same boat, especially between the MENA posters.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just an observation but it seems that those applying though non MENA countries do not wait so long.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Boiler, that's an excellent point. I also noted that in my original post, and I also noted that 11 days into it may not seem like alot to some people from MENA countries, but for this particular embassy it is more than the usual time.

Anyway this post was really to just find out a little more about the behind the scenes of what is going on and Sara and Mrs. Amera were very helpful with suggestions, although as Sara pointed out, we don't know what it is that they do. However, it got off track.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Boiler, that's an excellent point. I also noted that in my original post, and I also noted that 11 days into it may not seem like alot to some people from MENA countries, but for this particular embassy it is more than the usual time.

Anyway this post was really to just find out a little more about the behind the scenes of what is going on and Sara and Mrs. Amera were very helpful with suggestions, although as Sara pointed out, we don't know what it is that they do. However, it got off track.

It seems like where you're having some confusion is that is doesn't matter what embassy a person goes through - if they are originally from a MENA country, AP is within the normal experience.

Also, clearances that he went through for Spanish residency have no impact on the current situation of wanting a visa to the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

AP is normal.

The question is the likely time line.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Meghan, I think you need to step away from the computer and everything else and take a deep breath. This has been one helluva week for you with your Ramadan bullsh!t going on with your family, your fiance's interview stress and now AP/AR. You need to understand that AP/AR for 6 days is nothing...there have been people in AP for 2 years. Yes, it sucks the big one, but it happens.

The MENA VJrs are quite compassionate, and hell - I'm not even MENA and I'm very compassionate, too. Let me just say this: don't go putting on airs about your visa experience compared to someone else - that just doesn't fly around these parts. No one forgets their visa interview experience...it's kinda like losing your virginity - you never forget your first time. ;)

That being said, we can all tell you the horror stories of visa interviews: (ours was hell on wheels at Buenos Aires); AOS interviews (easy as pie); ROC process (completely fvcked from the get go - had to wait for a year to receive his permanent card); and citizenship (hubby's process was a dream, except for the rat-####### IO who interviewed him in 6 minutes, no less!). We're your support, your backbone, your cheerleaders. Everyone here wants the best for you and your fiance, accept it and move on. See, it's kinda like what Red Green used to say, "Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." :thumbs:

Edited by Staashi

Timeline

Thank you LaL :thumbs:

Whether already married (like us) or just engaged, you NEVER EVER FORGET your visa experience. So many low, low days of depression, waiting and waiting, losing hope, and missing your SO terribly.

My husband is Egyptian and went thru the Qatar embassy, we interviewed together very well, nothing else requested, but still took 3 months of AP, and we know that is the short end of AP!!

So anyone thinking that those of us with our SO's already home, that maybe we forgot or don't understand anymore........WRONG!!

This whole process teaches you PATIENCE and to not compare your timeline with anyone elses even from the same embassy. Each case is different!!!

Zahra :star:

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Read more carefully what I wrote above and check the timelines of the Madrid consulate. You'll see that several undocumented MENA men in Spain were issued a visa within a week. Mine is documented and is in all the databases for Spain already.

Like others have said, it's entirely the norm for a MENA person to have AP regardless of which consulate they are at. Last year there was a couple with a guy from the MENA region applying through the London consulate who got stuck in AP/AR for 9 months. One girl was born in India as a baby but moved to the UK as a baby and she still got stuck in AP for more than a month.

Just now, there has been a case of a Canadian born woman who has been stuck in AP for 3 months so far and a natural born British woman who is still in AP from February. They have no idea why this is happening, but there it is.

My suggestion for the waiver/AP forum is just so you can find people in similar circumstances. Whatznext has been waiting over 2 years in AP (after a denied K1 visa) and her husband is applying from Ukraine, although he is from the MENA region.

I've never been in AP (although we waited 5 weeks after our interview for our visa) and I can't imagine what you must be going through :(. I really hope you get your visa soon. You guys look beautiful together in your picture :)

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

What is with all the judgmental attitudes today? I appreciate those who have been supportive, but I am really wondering about several people on here. If you've never been on AP don't just tell me to get over it or stop comparing. If you have been on AP before, you obviously don't remember what it feels like to actually BE in AP. Just like every case is different, every person handles being in AP differently. The judgmental attitudes are really unnecessary and I'm very disappointed to see this kind of behavior going on when we are all in the same boat, especially between the MENA posters.

Hello Meghan,

I was in AP for a month in June at the South African Consulate in Johannesburg. The AP came as a complete surprise to Julie and I as I'm sure it has to you.

The best thing you can do is Call DoS at 202-663-1225 press 1 and then 0 for a human and give all the information, they will tell you what is going on and give you a little peace of mind. I know how you feel and how frustrated you are, it'll be Ok, we (well most of us) are 100% behind you and want you to be happy and have this gruelling journey over with, and be reunited with Ivan.

Regards

Shelby

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

What some people are seeing as attitude and defensivenes, I'm seeing as sadness. It's such an emotional rollercoaster that we have no control over. You're trying to make sense of a process that has no apparent rhyme or reason. All I can say to you is to hang in there. That's it. You'll do it because you have no choice....one week, two weeks, three months. We'll all be here right beside you.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Also wanted to add that I was quite dumbfounded when we didnt' get put in AP. Our lawyer had us prepared for a another "guaranteed" round of checks before his visa was issued. To our suprise, the visa was issued. My husband even asked the person at the embassy if he was sure when he told as we had to do was redo the medical.

Even though that part of the process was fairly painless, a 2.5 year namecheck held up our I-130 approval. Eleven months trying to obtain a police clearance from the Turkish government held us up at the NVC. Three months of AP before waiver processing, six months for the actual waiver processing, and a whole stupid month to transfer his approval from Rome to Algeria. Throw in asylum proceedings, four month detention, and a deportation too. I was absolutely prepared for the worst back at the embassy, but we sailed right on through.

It's not a competition and I didn't share that to try to lessen your feelings. It's just so true when everyone says that each case is different. I had to have a lot of strength during this process. For me, it meant being emotionless. It helped me to survive, but when my husband came back home I was a wreck. He's been here a year now, and I'm slowly returning to the normal life we had before. His support, and some counseling, have done wonders to undo all the damage that immigration has done.

If you wanna chat just let me know. I'm from LA too(grew up on the west bank of the south shore. You're on the northshore right?)so I might be able to help with the whacko family issues too. My mom's family are Pentacostal misionaries(from Natchitoches)...we could share some "fun" stories.

event.png

Timeline

I disagree. I see sense of entitlement and pissiness due to things not going as planned.

What some people are seeing as attitude and defensivenes, I'm seeing as sadness. It's such an emotional rollercoaster that we have no control over. You're trying to make sense of a process that has no apparent rhyme or reason. All I can say to you is to hang in there. That's it. You'll do it because you have no choice....one week, two weeks, three months. We'll all be here right beside you.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.