mspain

Security checks for MENA men in foreign consulates

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi all, if you don't know me, I'm Meghan, met my Moroccan fiance three years ago in Spain where we had our interview Aug 11. Madrid is a pretty good consulate from everything that I've read. I've studied timelines and reviews and the average wait time for the visa to arrive in hand is 5-6 days. We are on day 11. I know that's not alot for many of you in other consulates, but for Madrid it is. I've only seen two other timelines that have taken longer than that. There were several MENA petitioners in Madrid that received their visas within a week from the day of the interview.

My fiance has his legal permanent residence in Spain. Any foreigner with any criminal background will be denied residency. He also has his police reports from both Spain and Morocco (translated) with no problems.

What I do not understand is why we are on AP. We have been on AP since last Monday with no changes or updates. We have a really solid relationship, good evidence, so that's not an issue. People have told me we are on AP because he is from a MENA country and they are doing security checks. This makes no sense- because other MENA petitioners (some without residency or even police certificates from Spain) did not have to wait more than a week to get their visa, no security checks or anything . WTH is going on?

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Timeline

I forgot to ask....

What exactly are they doing on these security checks and how long do they take?

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Here are a couple of links for security name checksName Checks The visa animals

I don't know what else might be going on, sorry. If it is security checks, I have heard some people say that if your fiance has a common name it can slow down the process.

AP for MENA men, regardless of where they are living, is normal. Some people have been in AP for up to 6 months or more, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure exactly where they are looking - terrorist watch lists? Other people on VJ will probably know the specifics.

The government offices don't know your husband personally - they know that he is a MENA man; that's it. While it's really personal for you, it's not personal for them. Try to not take it so personally and be patient, as difficult as that is.

I imagine that if there were no checks and balances for MENA men, there would be people who would complain that we are not being protected enough.

Sorry, but it's not uncommon to have AP for MENA folks :( suggest you go over to the AP/waivers forum for more info.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

Sorry, but it's not uncommon to have AP for MENA folks :( suggest you go over to the AP/waivers forum for more info.

Read more carefully what I wrote above and check the timelines of the Madrid consulate. You'll see that several undocumented MENA men in Spain were issued a visa within a week. Mine is documented and is in all the databases for Spain already.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

first of all, although comparing timelines with others can be a useful reference point, it can also send you over the edge. At this point its really not going to do anything but make you crazy to focus on the other cases in Madrid.

as for the security checks, it IS standard for MENA males, regardless of what consulate they go through. The upside is that because the checks cost our government money, they are usually not ordered until everything else for the visa is a go, which means that your evidence and relationship info is probably fine and acceptable. There are a number of internal databases the names go through, including the DOS and FBI but undoubtedly more we in the public dont even really know about. the fact is, we just dont know what all they entail. I have been on this board several years now and I cant count the times this has been discussed, and at the end of the day its all just speculation and guessing on our part. If anyone had a more concrete or satisfactory answer about the processes behind AP we would all be happier.

With just a very very few exceptions, everyone on this particular forum has stood in your shoes Meghan. It sucks and its frustrating but about the best you can do is hope yours is brief and not the one year + we've seen other people go through.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Regardless of what happened with other people your fiancé is a mEna male and subject to checks that mean males go thru. Nobody needs to read more carefully but you seem to need to practice more humility. Nobody who tries to be helpful by answering you needs to be thanked with your read more carefully comment! You would also be wise not to compare your situation to others. It will not serve you well.

Timeline

first of all, although comparing timelines with others can be a useful reference point, it can also send you over the edge. At this point its really not going to do anything but make you crazy to focus on the other cases in Madrid.

as for the security checks, it IS standard for MENA males, regardless of what consulate they go through. The upside is that because the checks cost our government money, they are usually not ordered until everything else for the visa is a go, which means that your evidence and relationship info is probably fine and acceptable. There are a number of internal databases the names go through, including the DOS and FBI but undoubtedly more we in the public dont even really know about. the fact is, we just dont know what all they entail. I have been on this board several years now and I cant count the times this has been discussed, and at the end of the day its all just speculation and guessing on our part. If anyone had a more concrete or satisfactory answer about the processes behind AP we would all be happier.

With just a very very few exceptions, everyone on this particular forum has stood in your shoes Meghan. It sucks and its frustrating but about the best you can do is hope yours is brief and not the one year + we've seen other people go through.

Thanks Sara for the advice. Yes it is very frustrating. Especially due to the fact that my fiance and I waited out the time for two years for his background and name checks in 07 and 08 for him to get his residency in Spain that finally came in November of 09, before we even filed for the K-1. Had I known that he did not need his Spanish residency to do his interview in Madrid, we would have filed earlier, but we were trying to do things the right way so we wouldnt have these problems now. It's just frustrating that even though you have all the paperwork for background and security checks completed, that you still have to wait. And it's frustrating to see people who didnt go through these checks to get their residency slide on through.

Anyway, I am really having a hard time wrapping my head around why they're doing security checks on him, when they didnt do it on the other Mena males who went through the same embassy.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Anyway, I am really having a hard time wrapping my head around why they're doing security checks on him, when they didnt do it on the other Mena males who went through the same embassy.

Don't worry - they absolutely ran checks on the other beneficiaries who went through spain. Just like they do every where else. Some just take longer, shorter, fatter, thinner, wider, rounder, etc etc etc. No two journeys are alike.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Meghan, although we all would have loved to be on the same timeline with everyone else it just doesn't happen.

When a visa is issued it's issued. There is no set timeline for anyone from any country. A couple people may

obtain theirs in a week, some in 3 months but most within the 6-12 month time frame. Security checks are of

the most importance. They will issue his visa when they are satisified the criteria has been met...not until then.

Our advice for you is just to have faith. Have patience my dear. Best of luck to you.

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Every case is different. Period.

Stop comparing. You will only drive yourself crazy.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Going through the processes Spain requires for residency and going through US immigration are two completely different things. The reason your checks are taking longer might be because there are more applications being processed, your fiances' name matches come up more often, or somebody operating the system had a few days last week off. A couple of days difference is completely normal as others have said. Sometimes it takes days and sometimes it takes a year. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Please don't drive yourself crazy reading through timelines and trying to gauge how long it will take your specific situation it will only drive you more crazy in the wait.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Echoing others by saying that comparing cases will make you crazy.

It's possible that he got a name hit. You've only been on AP for 6 days. If you're getting irritated and angry after only 6 days how are you going to cope if it takes 6 weeks or 6 mos. or longer? Please try to calm down and do not compare your case with anyone else.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Echoing others by saying that comparing cases will make you crazy.

It's possible that he got a name hit. You've only been on AP for 6 days. If you're getting irritated and angry after only 6 days how are you going to cope if it takes 6 weeks or 6 mos. or longer? Please try to calm down and do not compare your case with anyone else.

What is with all the judgmental attitudes today? I appreciate those who have been supportive, but I am really wondering about several people on here. If you've never been on AP don't just tell me to get over it or stop comparing. If you have been on AP before, you obviously don't remember what it feels like to actually BE in AP. Just like every case is different, every person handles being in AP differently. The judgmental attitudes are really unnecessary and I'm very disappointed to see this kind of behavior going on when we are all in the same boat, especially between the MENA posters.

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.