Obama 2012

Here We Go: Lesbian Couple Upset That 'Private Religious School' Denied Their Daughter...

102 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess the question then is whether all "Christian" private schools would refuse to admit a child from a gay household. Anyone care to take that one on?

That's what gets me. I mean if they are "Christian" wouldn't they want to take in the child from the "gay household" to try and make sure the child doesn't end up the same way. :lol:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

It's simple. It's not about them 'being gay.'

If you READ the last post I made, I said I actually 'get' that a religious school would deny them. I mean I pay attention to how most Christian/religious institutions are towards homosexuality. You'd have to be closeted away from the media/the world not to know that/not to expect that kind of reaction from a Church related school/organization.

How can it not be about them 'being gay'?

Most christians welcome gay people into their communities and some denominations have openly gay ministers.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's what gets me. I mean if they are "Christian" wouldn't they want to take in the child from the "gay household" to try and make sure the child doesn't end up the same way. :lol:

So then how would the gay couple reasonably know that their daughter wouldn't be accepted because of their lifestyle. If it doesn't say anywhere "no kids of gays allowed" and if there are Christian schools that don't care about this - then what exactly is the problem?

Those are old testament laws and unless your Jewish they do not apply to Christians. Jesus came to earth to make a new covenant with man. It didn't include hatred and intolerance.

this line is blatantly anti-semitic. is it your position that the jewish faith is one of hatred and intolerance? if so, yr very, very wrong.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

I guess the question then is whether all "Christian" private schools would refuse to admit a child from a gay household. Anyone care to take that one on?

It seems that the school had a change of affiliation as well, possibly because of the schism amongst Anglicans and Episcopalians over the issues surrounding openly gay ministers and bishops? I am not very up on the machinations of christianty these days, but I find it hard to believe that gay couples are pariah's, and certainly the OP article itself gives no indication at all that such discrimination against gays can be anticipated.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

How can it not be about them 'being gay'?

Most christians welcome gay people into their communities and some denominations have openly gay ministers.

i think saying 'most' is a wee bit of a stretch. but there are some very open congregations out there. this line, from the end of the story, may be part of the confusion-

Our story originally referred to the school as St. Vincent's Episcopal School. Even though the sign at the church says Episcopal, they said they have parted with that church and are now Anglican.

episcopalians have openly gay bishops and such. anglicans, not so much. maybe they thought they were dealing with episcopalians rather than anglicans.

haha, we posted this at the same time

Edited by sandinista!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems that the school had a change of affiliation as well, possibly because of the schism amongst Anglicans and Episcopalians over the issues surrounding openly gay ministers and bishops? I am not very up on the machinations of christianty these days, but I find it hard to believe that gay couples are pariah's, and certainly the OP article itself gives no indication at all that such discrimination against gays can be anticipated.

Living in Texas around a lot of the Christian nutbars, I see plenty of 'anti-gay' sentiment from the religious community. I mean it's that whole "they're ok in public places to walk amongst us, but we'll be damned if they drink from the same fountain' mentality at times....

I mean hell, a lot of major churches around here (and many around the country) blame Katrina on the gay community because there was supposed to be some gay festival that week there or something....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I thought we addressed that already?

The purpose is to educate the child as one team.

When the parent believes and lives a life contrary to the direction of the school, the end result is chaos.

You are confusing the role of the CHurch with the school.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

i think saying 'most' is a wee bit of a stretch. but there are some very open congregations out there. this line, from the end of the story, may be part of the confusion-

episcopalians have openly gay bishops and such. anglicans, not so much. maybe they thought they were dealing with episcopalians rather than anglicans.

haha, we posted this at the same time

I think we have to assume without more background knowledge on this case that the couple were comfortable that the community where the school was situated was not one of these christian communities that is openly hostile to gay couples - if they had genuine worries that the school was anti-gay any decision to enroll one's child in the school becomes obtuse in the extreme - of course if we assume that all gay couples are attention seekers and incapable of behaving rationally then the gloves are off, but that in itself is a prejudiced view to take.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I thought we addressed that already?

The purpose is to educate the child as one team.

When the parent believes and lives a life contrary to the direction of the school, the end result is chaos.

You are confusing the role of the CHurch with the school.

No, that doesn't answer the question. I asked if all Christian private schools have that policy because if they do not then how can the child's parents reasonably know their child would be excluded?

Do the parents have a legitimate complaint about being subject to institutionalised prejudice? Yes they do.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That's what IIIIIIIIIIIIII said! :P

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

this line is blatantly anti-semitic. is it your position that the jewish faith is one of hatred and intolerance? if so, yr very, very wrong.

Way to read things into something I didn't say. The new covenant with man that Jesus made didn't include hatred and intolerance. Not the Jews are hateful and intolerant and Jesus stopped that. :wacko:

What is it that you don't get?

I can't believe people pay for their kids to get educated when they can send them to school for free. They're already paying taxes so their kids can get educated. Why pay twice?

It is un-Christian to punish a child for the perceived sins of the parents.

What about all that stuff in the Bible about punishing the son for the sins of the father?

Yep, and its even crazier to call yourself anti-government intervention yet you are perfectly OK with allowing discrimination and just plain old attitude problems at the 'private entity' level. If you're going to be libertarian, at least work for a society that is based on the concept of liberty and not the denial thereof. I smell red herring yet again.

So forcing private businesses (which is what private schools are) to adhere to certain publicly mandated policies is your idea of freedom?

While I'll agree there are things that shouldn't be discrimanted against, a "religious" school that has a moral policy is really toeing the line when it comes to religious freedoms. To say they must be inclusive of folks who violate their policy almost sounds like making a law that prohibits their free exercise. That's a big no-no.

Most "christian" (little C on purpose) schools are in business to make money, not to instill values so I'm sure they'd have no problem admitting this kid. However, some churches have a "no gays" policy and stick to it across the board. Church divisions are pretty varied and there's really not one "Christian" policy in the US.

The new covenant with man that Jesus made didn't include hatred and intolerance.

So the Old Testament is kaput?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

What about all that stuff in the Bible about punishing the son for the sins of the father?

Old Testament stuff. Jesus endorsed some parts of the Old Testament and superseded others. Things like the 10 commandments he endorsed. BS like stoning people that commit adultery he overturned and through his life he rewrote other things like burnt offerings. The main theme of his life is forgiveness and tolerance.

So the Old Testament is kaput?

See above.