xthemasterx

Where does my Mauritian fiance interview?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

I have just started the K-1 process, but I would like to know where my fiance will end up having her interview. She is from Mauritius and I was told that the only place that she can have her interview is in Kenya. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks,

John

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I have just started the K-1 process, but I would like to know where my fiance will end up having her interview. She is from Mauritius and I was told that the only place that she can have her interview is in Kenya. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks,

John

Hi, I have no direct experience but on the website of the US embassy in France it says that for those living in the Réunion island (which is close to Mauritius) they should go to the Mauritius embassy :

"Overseas French Territories

Residents in La Reunion must submit their applications at the U.S. Embassy in Port Louis, Mauritius. Instructions for making an application in Mauritius are available at http://mauritius.usembassy.gov/how_to_apply.html. Applicants physically present in France may file their applications with the Consular Section in Paris. "

That is true for Non-immigant AND mmigrant visas.

So I don't see why people from outside Mauritius could go there and not the Mauritius citizens.

Now, if your fiancée is not currently living in Mauritius but another country, she may have her interview in the country where she is currently living.

Hope that helped

Good luck on your journey

Bruno

K-1 2010 / 04 / 02 - I-129F sent
K-1 2010 / 08 / 18 - Interview at embassy in Paris, France
AOS 2011 / 01 / 15 - AOS package sent
AOS 2011 / 04 / 14 - Interview

ROC 2013 / 02 / 04 - ROC package sent
ROC 2013 / 07 / 27 - New GC received

CITIZENSHIP 2014 / 03 / 17 - N-400 package sent
CITIZENSHIP 2014 / 08 / 27 - Oath ceremony

--- THE END ---

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I am unsure but seems quite likely. I would find a Kenya thread which gives good info. I read that the Kenyan, Ebassy of US provides immigrant visas for (18) countries. I know for a fact they service many but no confirmation on the number. My wife is from Uganda but she has to interview in Nairobi for an immigrant visa. Our case was completed 7/19 by NVC and am now praying for a October interview. The financial toll all of this is going to take is outta control...

Timeline

ok, so after looking on the US embassy website in Mauritius (http://mauritius.usembassy.gov/visas.html) I found this :

U.S. Embassy Port Louis does not process immigrant visas for Mauritian or Seychellois citizens. These immigrant visas are handled by U.S. Embassy Nairobi. For more information, please see U.S. Embassy Nairobi's website: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website: www.uscis.gov or the Bureau of Consular Affairs website: http://travel.state.gov.

So now, technically the K1 visa IS a non-immigrant visa BUT is processed as an immigrant visa by the consulates around the world.

It seems they would process K1's in Nairobi but I would call or e-mail them to be sure. The weird part is that it looks like they are able to process the K1 visas for French citizens who live in La Réunion island but not for Mauritius or Seychelles citizens.

Bruno

--- THE END ---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

ok, so after looking on the US embassy website in Mauritius (http://mauritius.usembassy.gov/visas.html) I found this :

U.S. Embassy Port Louis does not process immigrant visas for Mauritian or Seychellois citizens. These immigrant visas are handled by U.S. Embassy Nairobi. For more information, please see U.S. Embassy Nairobi's website: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website: www.uscis.gov or the Bureau of Consular Affairs website: http://travel.state.gov.

So now, technically the K1 visa IS a non-immigrant visa BUT is processed as an immigrant visa by the consulates around the world.

It seems they would process K1's in Nairobi but I would call or e-mail them to be sure. The weird part is that it looks like they are able to process the K1 visas for French citizens who live in La Réunion island but not for Mauritius or Seychelles citizens.

Thanks for the information and help. Unfortunately it is very expensive for all of this. So on the I-129F what would I put for question #20, "Your fiance will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at:" Should I put Port Louis or Kenya? I am assuming she can still get all her paperwork through the embassy in Port Louis, even if she has the interview in Kenya. Maybe?

Timeline

Thanks for the information and help. Unfortunately it is very expensive for all of this. So on the I-129F what would I put for question #20, "Your fiance will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at:" Should I put Port Louis or Kenya? I am assuming she can still get all her paperwork through the embassy in Port Louis, even if she has the interview in Kenya. Maybe?

I don't know where she has to apply for the visa. It might be all in Kenya since Mauritius say they DON"T PROCESS immigrant visa.

If I were you, I would contact both US embassy in Mauritius and Kenya to have this point cleared out. It might delay your process if you put on the form Mauritius and it really has to go to Kenya or the contrary. Your paper could take time to travel from one embassy to another and even get lost in the process.

Bruno

--- THE END ---

I've heard that the redirect anyways to the closest correct embassy. Put Mauritius and see what they do. They won't have you interview somewhere that isn't going to be the correct place. I've heard of alot of people who put the wrong embassy or consulate in their country (I.e. Canada) and they are just given the correct one to interview at.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

My husband just finished going through all of this. His interview was in Nairobi Kenya which seriously was a bit horrible. I would love to answer questions and help you. Send me a message :)

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Mauritius

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-05

NVC Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-05

Interview Date : 2009-12-16 Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 148 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.