Tnic

Starting Over

136 posts in this topic

my girl insists the bus is much cheaper so I should let her ride the bus for 7 hours insted of 4 hours in a taxi.

While it is much cheaper, it's sometimes a better ride too. Being cramped in a car for four hours on those roads is not the same as riding four hours on the interstate here. A big bus to stretch out in (and one you don't feel the bumps as badly) is sometimes better, even if it does take three more hours.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

While it is much cheaper, it's sometimes a better ride too. Being cramped in a car for four hours on those roads is not the same as riding four hours on the interstate here. A big bus to stretch out in (and one you don't feel the bumps as badly) is sometimes better, even if it does take three more hours.

the

bus from Sumy does have air but is a little crowded on Mondays.

Yes, I was out finishing up my gift shopping yesterday and as I was leaving Marshals I listened to "that little voice" that told me forget the watches. So no trip to Burlington coat.

I knew about the superstition though. Not my first rodeo ya know. But the one about fighting is new to me. I always heard it meant the relationship would "wind down" and stop if the watch quit working.

Thanks for the tip about the movies and shows Slim. I'll have to dig around the basement and try to find the box. I have some flicks she might enjoy.

And I'm not the only one shopping for gifts. Mila told me last night she already has my mother's gift. It just floored me. She saw this handcrafted Shawl that she said is pretty rare and bought it for my mom. I'm sure it wasn't cheap either. Think I got me a keeper here.

I wasn't aware of the watch superstition, I'll file that one away for later. Regarding the movies, if you are getting DVD's make sure they are formatted for European use as they have a different system which is why we don't usually buy movies over there.

Just a reminder, take off the price tags before you pack things up and when you are going through customs make sure you tell them the cost for gifts was under $200. You might even say how happy you were getting such bargains. Besides the obvious tax at customs for over $200 in gifts, you might find that buying some perfume will be quite expensive and will easily put you over the limit. :(

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

good luck.

what is it them always wanting to ride the bus and refuse the taxi? my girl insists the bus is much cheaper so I should let her ride the bus for 7 hours insted of 4 hours in a taxi.

Huh! Strange. Mila says "the bus is for poor people," but she uses the Gazelles (martusha?) to go to work.

I agree though. The bus IS cheaper and in the Summer WAY more comfortable than those 13 seat saunas they call a minivan taxi. One little 6" window in it and the first woman that gets in closes it so her hair doesn't get blown away. As if that little whisper of air could actually move all that hairspray. Humph. Give me the trolleybus and an open window I can stand near anytime.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

I hate the minivan taxi I would rather walk. I already warned her there is no bus here and not many taxi. first thing on the list get her driving.

Hopefully she has a Ukrainian license already. Otherwise you MIGHT find getting her driving soon is easier said than done. It took us awhile, and I hired an instructor too. There are lots of driving threads and info. here if you search. Good Luck!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I looked at a few of the driving threads it was quite amusing reading some of the stories. I am sure I will have to hire an instructor for her lessons after she gets a feel for driving on a friends farm. I hope the cows can run:D

I hope the cows can run:D

It'll be good practice for all the deer on the roads.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hopefully she has a Ukrainian license already. Otherwise you MIGHT find getting her driving soon is easier said than done. It took us awhile, and I hired an instructor too. There are lots of driving threads and info. here if you search. Good Luck!

Very true. Depends on your state and their rules for issuing a license or permit. Some require you have an EAD or Green card even to get a permit. For Vermont we only had to show her visa and our marriage license AND the I-797C showing we had filed for the AOS. We also lived in an area with many miles of "private" roads that are not subject to state law, you can drive on those without a license and they are very rural and quiet places to practice (still dangerous to mailboxes). Check your state regulations.

SOME states will accept a foreign drivers license for a certain number of days...in Vermont it is 60 days.

people need to quit running the deer over so when I'm sitting in my stand I can get a few.

:rofl: Excuses.

Move the stand away from the road and stop driving to your stand!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Huh! Strange. Mila says "the bus is for poor people," but she uses the Gazelles (martusha?) to go to work.

I agree though. The bus IS cheaper and in the Summer WAY more comfortable than those 13 seat saunas they call a minivan taxi. One little 6" window in it and the first woman that gets in closes it so her hair doesn't get blown away. As if that little whisper of air could actually move all that hairspray. Humph. Give me the trolleybus and an open window I can stand near anytime.

It's easy to start driving school, let she will try. Half women have driving license now, it's from statistics, may be different in Ukraine. Gazelles how you call them, are very dangerous, in big Russian cities you can use big and enough comfortable buses, though again I visited Ukraine long time ago, but everything changing. Really better to start driving in her home place. With my many years of experience of driving in big city in Russia driving in USA was very much easy!!! Everything written, everything marked, most drivers are careful enough, good roads...by the way, I'm a woman too.:-)

Very true. Depends on your state and their rules for issuing a license or permit. Some require you have an EAD or Green card even to get a permit. For Vermont we only had to show her visa and our marriage license AND the I-797C showing we had filed for the AOS. We also lived in an area with many miles of "private" roads that are not subject to state law, you can drive on those without a license and they are very rural and quiet places to practice (still dangerous to mailboxes). Check your state regulations.

SOME states will accept a foreign drivers license for a certain number of days...in Vermont it is 60 days.

I was only talking about actual driving, not the license itself :lol: Presumably if she already has a license, she has some experience driving. Starting from scratch was a slow, torturous, scary process for my wife - and not too pleasant for me either :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was only talking about actual driving, not the license itself :lol: Presumably if she already has a license, she has some experience driving. Starting from scratch was a slow, torturous, scary process for my wife - and not too pleasant for me either :lol:

Ah, the good ol' days! I remember thinking (never saying) "How is it POSSIBLE to drive OFF THE PAVEMENT so much????????" The first few times driving we spent more time in the grass than on the blacktop! I NEVER had the problem learning to drive, and the boys never have either. And the first few corners were like the experience of a fast roller coaster! "Alla, really, you have to slow down a bit when you turn" And it was several days before she managed to hit the driveway when we came home, though she managed to get the car onto the property, somewhere on the front lawn in the general area of the driveway.

She was proud f herself the first time she parked with ONE WHEEL on the gravel. "Did I park good?" Um, yeah, much better " :D "

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, I remember those good old days too. My wife never had a problem running off the road, but at 15 to 20 MPH she had plenty of time to make any corrections to stay on the pavement. My how things change....you probably read about my wife's run in with the police for speeding past the cop. I knew it was coming as a few weeks before she was running late for an appointment 30 miles down the interstate but managed to make it on time by cruising at 90+ MPH. When she told me how well the car drove at 90 I thought she was joking.

She is NOT allowed to drive the car pictured here

<==============

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

people need to quit running the deer over so when I'm sitting in my stand I can get a few.

Dude, Caesar Creek Lake down by the pioneer village (over the spillway and down a bit) has a mess of deer and it's public hunting land. I probably wouldn't go there during gun season, but during bow season, it's empty.

I believe Ohio honors their foreign DL when they arrive and then up to 90 days after you're married. I forget the exact timeline, but I know if she arrives with one you have a little time before she's required to take the Ohio test.

Presumably if she already has a license, she has some experience driving.

That's what I presumed too. Boy was I wrong!

My wife "took the test" to get her international DL over there but I don't think she ever drove before or after taking it. I believe "taking the test" included the handing over of some cash and an instructor who simply closed their eyes and prayed while she "tested."

She is NOT allowed to drive the car pictured here

<==============

Probably a good policy!

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.