Danno

Summer vacation... Wha hoo!

34 posts in this topic

My husband gets 1 paid day off (both) per month.

That's really not a bad deal.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

amby, i'm jealous. i want to go to europe but i'm not doing it from the west coast. we might be moving to MD for a spell so we just might be in italy and france fall 2011. i lived in oxford england for nearly 5 years so not going there. actually, i don't want to go anywhere they speak english as their first language.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm so jealous of people who get vacation + sick days. My husband gets 1 paid day off (both) per month. So no vacation for us, despite the fact that we still haven't had a honeymoon. :( Sad face.

Nothing personal but I give this a big fat boo-hoo. 10-15 days of PTO/year is pretty standard in most industries (unless you work for the government). Most companies are moving away from separate vacation and sick leave and just doing PTO.

It sounds all totalitarian when you say 1 day per month. But if you count weekends, you're only working 21-22 days a month anyways. If you give more than 1-2 days off, not much is going to get done.

Filed: Timeline

I started the year off with a month worth of long weekends - took each Fri and Mon off while my parents were in town. Just some day trips during that time but it was nice to have time to spend with the family.

Nani and Naomi then went to Ethiopia for 12 weeks where I joined them for 2 weeks in the spring - I actually stayed a couple extra days due to the mess that that volcano created. My return flight via Amsterdam didn't work out so well. I ended up buying a different return flight via Istanbul instead.

And now we still look forward to our 2.5 week trip to Germany in late summer. We'll be in and around Berlin most of the time but plan on heading into the Cologne area for a couple of days as well - Nani's dad lives there.

Busy year in terms of travelling...

amby, i'm jealous. i want to go to europe but i'm not doing it from the west coast. we might be moving to MD for a spell so we just might be in italy and france fall 2011. i lived in oxford england for nearly 5 years so not going there. actually, i don't want to go anywhere they speak english as their first language.

Before I went I loved the thought of such a long vacation. Towards the end all I wanted to do was come home. There's only so much time I can spend doing "nothing" before I start to go nuts. My days consisted of trying to figure out what to do, where to go, or what to eat. The last 3 weeks or so I was exhausted!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

I just returned from vacation, but I am somewhat ready for another one. I spent three months in the US - Charlotte, Seattle, NYC and Savannah. It's been a tough year for me and my family so far, so what I really need is a long beach vacation. Sun, sand, sea & seafood. :luv:

Reinhard, enjoy Germany :) Did you know that they moved the Cologne cathedral to Frankfurt?

khttp://www.bild.de/BILD/regional/frankfurt/aktuell/2010/08/16/panne-in-neuem-hollywood-streifen/a-team-versetzt-koelner-dom-nach-frankfurt.html

:lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Before I went I loved the thought of such a long vacation. Towards the end all I wanted to do was come home. There's only so much time I can spend doing "nothing" before I start to go nuts. My days consisted of trying to figure out what to do, where to go, or what to eat. The last 3 weeks or so I was exhausted!

Did you end up making it to the Italian Riviera?

We were planning on going somewhere, but my husband said he was going to plan/book it as a surprise for me, and he's a terrible procrastinator who rarely manages to get things done. I kept telling him we were running out of time but too late. Summer is almost over and he "couldn't find any good deals". :crying:

Next time I'll be handling the vacation planning.

Nice! Any food highlights? (the most important part of any trip IMO)

I think the best thing on that part of my trip was the woman I stayed with. Since my sister wasn't with me I decided to stay at B&B. The woman who owned the place in Chiavari also teaches cooking classes. When she found out I was a chef she asked me if I'd like to cook with her and learn some things. She also invited me me to join one of her cooking classes before I left.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Colombia in July (5 days) and Puerto Rico last week (5 days).

Maybe Bahamas in December (5 days) and Christmas/New Year in Florida.

Maybe a surfing trip in January or February back to PR. I would really like that, but we'll see how my PI handles it with so many conferences to attend in 2011.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.