ValerieA

Resolving host issues

15 posts in this topic

OK, this has been driving me nuts for months. Now that we have moved, and moved from a TVMax cable modem to Comcast, I thought it might resolve, but no go.

In a nutshell, we have a Comcast cable modem connected to a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. Both of us are on laptops; our desktop was connected by cable to the wireless router in the old place, but due to positioning, we have to get a wireless card for it to connect in our new place. About once a day, we will lose internet. One of us will click on a page, it will be working, working, then we will see the message "Resolving host" as it tries to load. This will result in a "Webpage not available" or "Problem loading page" error, and neither of us will have internet at that time. We end up having to reboot both the modem and router to get it back. I have heard there is an issue with Google Chrome, and we both use this, but I don't see why it would kick both of us out at the same time - oh, and when we did have the desktop connected, it would be down, too, and we use FF on that computer. If I try to use IE or FF when we have this error, they error out too. I suspect something going wonky in the wireless router that is screwing up the modem - but I can't see how, or what I can do to resolve this. I am getting seriously tired of having to reboot everything all the time.

Anyone have any ideas??? helpsmilie.gif

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'm wondering if you're having the same problem we had for a while - the phone and the wireless router was on the same band.

does this happen at generally the same time every day?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Before you go buying a new wireless router, I'd talk to Comcast about getting a replacement cable modem.

Forgot to mention, this happened in the old place with a TVMax modem, so I am pretty sure it is not modem-related.

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Also, you should try the factory reset on your wireless router. Should be a small button somewhere you have to press down with a paper clip. Hold it down for 15-30 seconds and see the problem happens again.

I have had to do this in the past due to memory issues (mine, about passwords) and I have the problem now - but I can't remember if we had the problem this bad back then, so I will try it again.

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

i'm wondering if you're having the same problem we had for a while - the phone and the wireless router was on the same band.

does this happen at generally the same time every day?

We have moved into the 21st century and do not have a landline. tongue.gif

But no, it happened today around noon, last night around 9:30, it is very random. Hmmm. Desperately random...

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

And check to see if you have the band problem Charles refers to. Easiest way is to power down your phones for a while. Or you could change their bands if the problem is intermittent.

and very difficult to track down unless she's in a standalone home and with good distance from other houses.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

We have moved into the 21st century and do not have a landline. tongue.gif

But no, it happened today around noon, last night around 9:30, it is very random. Hmmm. Desperately random...

If you are loosing wireless signal, then interference is probably the problem. Though it may not be from you, it could be a neighbor. A 2.4 ghz phone will interfere with a wireless router since it often operates on the same frequency.

Otherwise there might be other things generating noise. I've heard about issues with interference from other electronics, like security lamps.

This is something to look for if you loose wireless signal. If you keep wireless signal but cant get on, then it might be time to replace the router.

keTiiDCjGVo

sounds like you may need an exorcist.

I do, but it has nothing to do with my internet...

If you are loosing wireless signal, then interference is probably the problem. Though it may not be from you, it could be a neighbor. A 2.4 ghz phone will interfere with a wireless router since it often operates on the same frequency.

Otherwise there might be other things generating noise. I've heard about issues with interference from other electronics, like security lamps.

This is something to look for if you loose wireless signal. If you keep wireless signal but cant get on, then it might be time to replace the router.

Ack, is there any way to block the interference? Without blocking the signal out, of course!

Thanks everyone for your help!

and very difficult to track down unless she's in a standalone home and with good distance from other houses.

I'm in a townhouse, so lots of neighbours. mad.gif

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

I was experiencing a similar issue last month with my connection. It was a channel issue in the router settings. I live in an apartment and assume I was getting alot of interference. I went into my router settings and switched from "auto select channel" to setting it to Channel 1. I read that in the US it is recommended to use either channel 1 or 11 on modems. Once I hard set it to Channel 1, I have not had any issues.

I hope this helps.

Please look at the "About Me" page in our profile for our complete K-1 and AOS processing timeline.

AOS
Packet sent: 11 May 2010
Transferred to CSC: 08 June 2010
AP Received: 30 July 2010
EAD Received: 02 Aug 2010
AOS Approved / Card production ordered: 02 Nov 2010
Greed Card Received: 08 Nov 2010

ROC
Packet Sent: 3 Oct 2012
NOA Date: 9 Oct 2012
Biometrics: 6 Nov 2012
ROC Approved: 23 April 2013

Card Received: 26 April 2013

I feel your pain. I have the same "problem" :lol:

The only solution is to sell your organs and buy a singe family with the proceeds.

Houses are dirt cheap in Houston, so one kidney ought to do it! idea9dv.gif

I was experiencing a similar issue last month with my connection. It was a channel issue in the router settings. I live in an apartment and assume I was getting alot of interference. I went into my router settings and switched from "auto select channel" to setting it to Channel 1. I read that in the US it is recommended to use either channel 1 or 11 on modems. Once I hard set it to Channel 1, I have not had any issues.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! I will try this tonight! star_smile.gif

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013