Moonandstar

Breaking: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
WASHINGTON -- The Senate agreed Thursday to add $600 million to the effort to stop the flow of illegal immigrants across the U.S. Mexican border.

The money would be used for such purposes as adding 1,500 new enforcement agents and deploying unmanned aerial drones to improve border surveillance.

The voice vote to pass the emergency spending came in the final hours before the Senate leaves for its monthlong summer break. Its sponsor, Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, said it would boost border spending 10 percent above 2010 levels.

President Barack Obama has urged Congress to come up with $600 million to reinforce border security, and, with Arizona's attempt to crack down on undocumented immigrants bringing national focus to the issue, both Republicans and Democrats have endorsed more robust border security spending.

The main stumbling block has been how to pay for the increased spending. Republicans sought to use unspent funds from the economic stimulus act, an idea rejected by Democrats.

The Democratic plan passed Thursday would boost fees assessed on foreign-based personnel companies that take advantage of U.S. visa programs, such as the H-1B visa program for temporary skilled workers, to bring foreign workers, mainly from India, into the United States.

The House last week passed similar legislation with $701 million in emergency money for border security. It could take up the Senate bill when it interrupts its August recess next Tuesday for a one-day session to approve a Senate-passed jobs bill.

Schumer, who announced his proposal earlier Thursday with Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., challenged Republicans to put aside differences and support the measure. "It's a test of people's seriousness when it comes to the border," he said.

Sen. John McCain, who last week joined fellow Arizona Republican Jon Kyl in introducing a $701 million bill, initially objected, saying it was insufficient.

He suggested, among other things, the addition of $200 million to support Operation Streamline, a program begun under the George W. Bush administration subjecting anyone who crosses the border illegally in areas where the program is in place to federal charges with prison terms of up to six months for the first illegal entry. Those who re-enter face prosecution for felonies punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

When Schumer said he could not accept McCain's amendments, McCain agreed to back the bill. "I believe we have a lot more to do, but this will contribute to our effort to get our border secured," he said.

The legislation includes $176 million for 1,000 new border patrol agents to form a strike force to be deployed at critical areas, $89 million for another 500 customs and immigration personnel and $32 million to deploy unmanned aerial vehicles or drones.

It provides an additional $196 million for the Justice Department to bolster its forces of U.S. marshals, and FBI, DEA and ATF agents along the border.

"Now our attention must turn to comprehensive reform, which is the only way to fully address the problem of illegal immigration," Schumer said after the vote.

Awesome, another typical example of the American way of breaking fixing things. Throw more and more money at it and pray for the best.

Notice, how it says 196 million dollars will go to the DOJ to 'bolster' its forces. Why am i skeptical that it will actually be used for that purpose?

And there's Washington for you. "You got your $600 million, now that that's solved, lets move on to Scamnisty™!"

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

let's bring back the troops from afghanistan and protect our border. i'm not saying do it with american troops. i'm saying use the $$$$$ that would otherwise be spent in afghanistan to protect our border.

omaba recently said we aren't in afghanistan to form a democracy but instead just to make busy bodies of our enemy so they can't so easily plan attacks against the US homeland. i think that is a disgusting reason to occupy a foreign country.

could it be that our gov't prefers to fight abroad because if not we would be forced to seal our borders and thus end the inflow of illegal aliens at the same time?

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

$600 million is what, $30 per illegal? That's not even enough for a one-way ticket back to Mexico.

Not with Continental, no. :no:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

$600 million is what, $30 per illegal? That's not even enough for a one-way ticket back to Mexico.

group discount?

hehe

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

"Now our attention must turn to comprehensive reform, which is the only way to fully address the problem of illegal immigration," Schumer said after the vote.

Awesome, another typical example of the American way of breaking fixing things. Throw more and more money at it and pray for the best.

Notice, how it says 196 million dollars will go to the DOJ to 'bolster' its forces. Why am i skeptical that it will actually be used for that purpose?

And there's Washington for you. "You got your $600 million, now that that's solved, lets move on to Scamnisty™!"

Chuck Schumer can go stick his head up his ####!

We already have laws which deal with illegal immigration. ENFORCE THEM.

Without border security, everything else is money down the drain. Lots of money. :angry:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Well, if this works anything like the new "green jobs" or the unemployment compensation laws, etc., we should see about 59 more desk jockies "fighting the problem" soon.

Nothing like having meetings to take care of problems.

In all seriousness, for 600 million, I think I could stop illegal immigration.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Chuck Schumer can go stick his head up his ####!

We already have laws which deal with illegal immigration. ENFORCE THEM.

Without border security, everything else is money down the drain. Lots of money. :angry:

Chuck Schumer is a far Left liberal that has voted for every illegal alien amnesty that has been rammed through congress. The fact that he was put in charge of the "comprehensive immigration reform" Obama was trying to push before the 2010 elections should serve as a warning flag that this assclown should be the last person any sane American would want to be in charge if we want real meaningful reform. All this guy is about is cheap illegal alien votes for his party. Same ol' sh*t. Nothing new.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

But could you do it without using a gun?

Not a chance. People listen to two things - money or guns. 600 million is not enough money to hand to illegals so they'd turn around and walk back home.

I doubt I could even pay employees to hand that money to illegals - even if they were illegal workers!

Nope. Like most of the problems in the real world, guns are necessary to solve them.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Yep. Guns will sure solve economic destitution, underemployment and desperation. ;)

You could employ a lot of people deporting illegal aliens.

You've also got gun trainers, translators, drivers, etc.

Русский форум член.

It sounds like you haven't thought it through.

I'm following the govt's logic on this. Lets create insanely overpaid agencies to create temporary positions and then we'll report it as a win for everyone! Then, when that doesn't work (because it can't) we'll do it all over again!

It's a win-win!

That is how it works, by the way. The key is being the one who gets awarded the contract or grant.

Русский форум член.