Elsie_is_Confused

Illegal/Legal immigrant getting married

60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Elsie,

This really isn't that big of a deal. A bunch of folks adjust status based on marriage to somebody that overstayed a visa. It is not uncommon. The fact he has been here so long and has not married actually helps your case. The only thing that USCIS is going to look at is if your marriage is valid and whether he presents a security or criminal risk.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by this process. Take some time and read the guides for adjustment of status at the top of this page. Also read up on the USCIS.gov website. You need to become familiar with the terms so that you can ask specific questions here.

The site is supposed to help people through this process. if you have a technical question it will be answered by many people. Average the answers and make your decision.

It is really pretty simple once you study up. You simply file a stack of forms and send a stack of money and wait. There is a little 15 minute interview at the end that is no big deal.

It sounds like this lawyer has been raping your husband for years. There was no way for your fiance to become legal and this lawyer continued to take fees from him. That is the reason why he didn't do anything. There was nothing he COULD do.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

Yeah, what fines?? He did mention something about fines and he said he has the money saved for the fines for him and the kids.... when the correct paperwork gets filed...

What kids?

His kids

How old?

Right now, 18,17,14

What correct paperwork?

Whichever filings have to get done (im clueless.... remember?)

What fines?

Well, he has mentioned some fines to be paid, I dont know what exactly is he talking about.

OK update.....

He entered the country under the Waiver program that was in effect that covered Argentina, Uruguay and another country down there. He used to work for MercoSur...

Does this clarify anything? We have hardly any time to talk today, too much work. He promised that tomorrow he'd give me a detailed explanation of what has been done so far. He did not want to bother or burden me with "tedious" details. As I've said before, he is not rushing to get married, he wants to get his papers on his own. I am the one that is FREAKING out, just afraid he's gonna be taken away any second. He assures me that is not the case by any means.

Please Elsie... do your homework on this one. Don't go by his word on the sequence of events. Know the sequence yourself and challenge him if you're not getting straight answers (i.e. like the fees, for instance). This is not the time for him to be the least bit vague.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline
Read your private messages and my lawyer referral - do a consulation to help you understand the steps and where you may face some problems. From what you have written, you may need a financial sponsor. It would also be wise to marry, establish a married life, joint accounts, joint residence, etc. before you begin the paperwork so you can prove the validity of the marriage.

I have read my privates. I will make time to contact this lawyer, thanks.

We have a "married" life. We have an apartment together, bank account and MANY MANY people that can testify to this.....

One question, I had 4 peole in my tax return that are no longer my financial responsibility (I use to file, Head of Household w/my 3 kids (grown and married [no longer my financial burden] and ex-significant other).... Does the Affidavit covers all the financial issues? Or are they gonna go and try to dig into why are the other 4 people not in the picture anymore?

Right now I do surpass the 125% needed for me and them..... WHat about that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Read your private messages and my lawyer referral - do a consulation to help you understand the steps and where you may face some problems. From what you have written, you may need a financial sponsor. It would also be wise to marry, establish a married life, joint accounts, joint residence, etc. before you begin the paperwork so you can prove the validity of the marriage.

We have a "married" life. We have an apartment together, bank account and MANY MANY people that can testify to this.....

One question, I had 4 peole in my tax return that are no longer my financial responsibility (I use to file, Head of Household w/my 3 kids (grown and married [no longer my financial burden] and ex-significant other).... Does the Affidavit covers all the financial issues? Or are they gonna go and try to dig into why are the other 4 people not in the picture anymore?

They will look at your ability now to maintain a household (i.e. regular paychecks) over your tax forms from prior years. (My now-husband had been living off savings for several years...they didn't even look at his tax forms, they just wanted to know he had viable employment now. Because I had been in the US for over 6 months and was also working, my income could also apply toward making up that number. BUT! I don't know if that's the case when adjusting status the way you are, mine is a K1-AOS situation. You should look into that...it's the I-864 and I-864A forms.)

If you will not make enough to satisfy the 125% required, you will need to get a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor signs a separate affadavit from yours. (This is in the guides tab above.)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you are good to go with 2 people, you had a larger household but the size that matters is the one now.

He entered on a tourist visa effectively (VWP).

Argentinians no longer have access to it because of abuse, the same as your fiancee, they did not go home after 90 days.

Sounds like he knows he has no way of adjusting status and does not want to go there. Other than through you.

There is nothing wrong with an overstayer addjusting through marriage, my only comment is that he seems to be hiding from you the reality of his situation.

You mentioned he had other family members, presumably they are not living with you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

He did not want to bother or burden me with "tedious" details. As I've said before, he is not rushing to get married, he wants to get his papers on his own. I am the one that is FREAKING out, just afraid he's gonna be taken away any second. He assures me that is not the case by any means.

I hate to burst his bubble, but 'tedious' details can often times make or break an immigration case. He better get okay with 'tedious' details - and fast - if he truly wants to marry you and stay here.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

He did not want to bother or burden me with "tedious" details. As I've said before, he is not rushing to get married, he wants to get his papers on his own. I am the one that is FREAKING out, just afraid he's gonna be taken away any second. He assures me that is not the case by any means.

I hate to burst his bubble, but 'tedious' details can often times make or break an immigration case. He better get okay with 'tedious' details - and fast - if he truly wants to marry you and stay here.

Isnt that the truth.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
What kids?

His kids

How old?

Right now, 18,17,14

Regarding financials, it's not just two people, there are now 5. Elsie, there are also additional complications regarding the children, and deadlines to marry for you to have a qualifying relationship with them.

There is certainly enough here to keep a lawyer entertained for awhile.. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Other Timeline

Dig them up? Where did they go? 3 grown children and your ex partner and they vanished overnite?

Since it's only your last year tax return you need for AOS, I'm wondering where they went. Or more appropriately why they were there in the first place.

Timeline

What kids?

His kids

How old?

Right now, 18,17,14

Regarding financials, it's not just two people, there are now 5. Elsie, there are also additional complications regarding the children, and deadlines to marry for you to have a qualifying relationship with them.

There is certainly enough here to keep a lawyer entertained for awhile.. :)

Missed that, the older one I think is out of luck, need own USC.

Timeline

Wonder what the story was?

Isnt that the truth.

Yes... which furthers the point I was trying to make...

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I'm not sure what you ended up doing, but I married a man who had overstayed his tourist visa by 3 years. We got married, got an immigration lawyer who filled out all our forms (I recommend this, as our lawyer did not put anything down for my husband's work record since he did not have permission to work, little things like that), and five months later he had his green card in hand. It actually sounds easy as I type it, but it was a lot of stress and waiting, interview, etc. But, it's over for two years now and everything went smoothly!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I'm not sure what you ended up doing, but I married a man who had overstayed his tourist visa by 3 years. We got married, got an immigration lawyer who filled out all our forms (I recommend this, as our lawyer did not put anything down for my husband's work record since he did not have permission to work, little things like that), and five months later he had his green card in hand. It actually sounds easy as I type it, but it was a lot of stress and waiting, interview, etc. But, it's over for two years now and everything went smoothly!

This is bad advice - not putting down anything for work since he didn't have permission. That's lying on a federal form ... especially since unauthorized work is forgiven through marriage to a USC, there's no reason to get all messed up in possible misrepresentation senselessly.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.