gracy_byron

N-400 for a minor child???

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm about to file my N-400 but I'm confuse, my son is 6 yrs old and I dont know if I should file a seperate form for him or just wait till I become a US citizen then file for him, any info will help, thanks.

Timeline

I'm about to file my N-400 but I'm confuse, my son is 6 yrs old and I dont know if I should file a seperate form for him or just wait till I become a US citizen then file for him, any info will help, thanks.

Minor child under 18 will automatically be a US citizen when his/her parents became one... You just need to apply for Certificate of citizenship or N600 for the child after you obtain your US citizenship...

Timeline

I'm sorry if flogged messages in the forum..i got disconnected and I was unaware that i sent the previous one already..hope everyone understands..God bless!!..:)

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2009-23-09 -became a couple(was so happy:)

2010-21-03 -visited Philippines(spent wonderful times together)

2010=27-03 -engaged(Yes!!)

2010-09-04 -went back to US :(

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

2010-04-05 -Received NOA1

2010-12-07 -NOA2 approved

2010-18-07 -Received NOA2 hardcopy

2010-26-07 -US Embassy(Manila) received our petition!!..(yahoo!!)

2010-04-08 -HAPPY BDAY MATT!!

2010-18-08 -Medical Exam-PASSED!!..God is so good!!

2010-26-08 -Interview @ USEmbassy- APPROVED( Thank you Lord!)

2010-03-09 -Got my Visa in Hand!!..Yepey..Thank God!!..

2010-17-09 -POE:SFO,CA

2010-23-10 -Wedding @ Springfield, MO

* AOS Journey

2010-07-12 -Filed for AOS & EAD(USPS Express Mail)

2010-08-12 -USCIS received the package

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

2011-19-01 -Received Biometrics schedule!!

2011-07-02 -Biometrics done!!..thanked God!!

2011-17-03 -AOS Interview..APPROVED!!

2011-24-03 -GREENCARD received!!..it's green indeed!!..lol..

Filed: Other Timeline

JJ1028 gave you correct advice.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

3 triplicate posts all containing misleading, incorrect and irrelevant information have been removed from the thread so as not to confuse other filers. Please, if you do not know the specific answer to the specific question do not respond, especially if you are providing information totally unrelated to the circumstances.

As Just Bob noted, jj1028 provided the correct information.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Personally,, I would not waste the money on "Certificate of citizenship or N600"... Just apply for a US Passport... That is better then

any naturalization document. You should never need the Naturalization document again,, after the Passport is issued.

Regards,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

To bring my step-daughter here, was an identical set of forms for her as my wife. Was clear on the I-751, she could tailgate her mom for just for her biometrics fee, an extra 80 bucks. But she turned 18 when my wife could apply for US citizenship, so never really learned if I would have had to pay that extra 80 bucks, supply the two photographs, and if she would also get a US certificate. But apparently not if you have to apply for the N-600 where it would cost an additional $460.00 and that is when you send two passport type photos of the child plus everything else they want.

So I am not so sure if a child automatically becomes a US citizen if you have to go through the N-600. I contacted the USCIS in regards to my step daughter being so close to under 18, but a very sharp line is drawn with that age, so never really dug deep into it. Also bringing my step-daughter here was far more complicated than my wife, wife could come here on her own free will, step-daughter required permission. Do they make you go through all this again with the N-600? Certainly did for everything involved with the N-400, like you never applied for anything before.

Timeline

Minor child under 18 will automatically be a US citizen when his/her parents became one... You just need to apply for Certificate of citizenship or N600 for the child after you obtain your US citizenship...

Thanks a bunch!!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Personally,, I would not waste the money on "Certificate of citizenship or N600"... Just apply for a US Passport... That is better then

any naturalization document. You should never need the Naturalization document again,, after the Passport is issued.

Regards,

Passports expire and the passport holder might not care to renew it.

Certificate of citizenship never expires, as I understand it.

Separately (should I have started a new thread?) ...

I'm wanting to change my minor child's family name at the same time she becomes citizen. The N-400 allows for a name change. But as mentioned here, the N-400 isn't for a child. So what do I do? Go to my local court to get the child's name changed after her parent gains citizenship?

Timeline

Passports expire and the passport holder might not care to renew it.

Certificate of citizenship never expires, as I understand it.

Separately (should I have started a new thread?) ...

I'm wanting to change my minor child's family name at the same time she becomes citizen. The N-400 allows for a name change. But as mentioned here, the N-400 isn't for a child. So what do I do? Go to my local court to get the child's name changed after her parent gains citizenship?

Can only offer experience on some of these matters where I had the names of two children changed due to adoption after the surviving parent agreed and wanted me to adopt those two kids. In the adoption process the childrens' legal name change was made by changing their birth certificates, and I was shown to be the parent of those children.

What I am not sure about in your case, is if their are two biological parents involved living that the other parent must also agree to this name change if adoption is not part of it. Would definitely seek the advice of an attorney that deals with adoption in this matter. And feel I would have that name change done before filing the application. If the name change is approved, say to the new married name of the mother, the new husband would still be just a stepdad unless adoption takes place. See an attorney on this matter.

• 2 years later...

with regards, to my own filing...(n-400 with 2 minor children)

I will just be paying for my own filing right? I understand, both of my children will derive their citizenship from me...should I still pay pay for their biometrics? or NO?

Thanks guys

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

NO. There is no biometrics fee or any other fee for your children, associated with your filing of the N-400 for yourself. When you become a citizen, they automatically become citizens (if they are under the age of 18, if they are in your legal and physical custody, and if they are legal permanent residents). You will file form N-400 with all the required evidence and pictures plus the filing fee of $680 which includes your biometrics fee.

Edited by N400-2011

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Timeline

with regards, to my own filing...(n-400 with 2 minor children)

I will just be paying for my own filing right? I understand, both of my children will derive their citizenship from me...should I still pay pay for their biometrics? or NO?

Thanks guys

Only thing you do with your kids on the N-400 is list their names, you do this for all of your kids, natural, step, adopted. Your IO should look over that list and tell you which ones automatically become US ctizens when you do. Provided of course you pass the interview. If one of your kids is barely over 18 and not listed as a US citizen, will be told that child would have to apply for the five year.

Can bring your to be naturalized kids with you to the oath ceremony, will be told they are US citizens just like you are, but without any proof, and they will walk out the door with their green cards. Yours will be taken away and given your certificate in exchange.

With that certificate in your hands, then you can apply for certificates for the kids that came here when you did with that N-600, need one for each kid plus a check of $600 for each kid plus the required evidence as listed in that form.

If you recall your AOS, had to have a full set of forms for each kid just you did. If you went through the ROC stage, there you got by with just an extra 80 bucks per kid. Well, citizenship is just like the AOS stage, but a different form, and about 80 bucks cheaper than you.

• 6 years later...
Timeline
On 5/11/2013 at 1:49 PM, N400-2011 said:

NO. There is no biometrics fee or any other fee for your children, associated with your filing of the N-400 for yourself. When you become a citizen, they automatically become citizens (if they are under the age of 18, if they are in your legal and physical custody, and if they are legal permanent residents). You will file form N-400 with all the required evidence and pictures plus the filing fee of $680 which includes your biometrics fee.

Hi, this answer is a bit confusing... I have a filipina wife K1 with K2 to follow minor step-daughter (10yrs old today) that I did not adopt but for all intents and purposes I'm her father. She still has her old last name, but my wife has my last name. They are both LPR 10yr green cards. Both Been here for 5 years. We are one happy family (we also have a U.S. Citizen & passport holder son 3yrs old). So we are ready to file for citizenship n-400 (i've been procrastinating)...  So when my wife becomes a citizen, her daughter automatically becomes one? what does that mean? Just fill out one form? Is there two fee's? Do we submit pictures for both? please explain more detail. thanks.

Timeline
On 5/11/2013 at 4:49 PM, NickD said:

Only thing you do with your kids on the N-400 is list their names, you do this for all of your kids, natural, step, adopted. Your IO should look over that list and tell you which ones automatically become US ctizens when you do. Provided of course you pass the interview. If one of your kids is barely over 18 and not listed as a US citizen, will be told that child would have to apply for the five year.

Can bring your to be naturalized kids with you to the oath ceremony, will be told they are US citizens just like you are, but without any proof, and they will walk out the door with their green cards. Yours will be taken away and given your certificate in exchange.

With that certificate in your hands, then you can apply for certificates for the kids that came here when you did with that N-600, need one for each kid plus a check of $600 for each kid plus the required evidence as listed in that form.

If you recall your AOS, had to have a full set of forms for each kid just you did. If you went through the ROC stage, there you got by with just an extra 80 bucks per kid. Well, citizenship is just like the AOS stage, but a different form, and about 80 bucks cheaper than you.

is this still accurate today, 2019 ? thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.